Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 15th, 2006, 10:47 am

YAY!!!

I'm even more excited about this movie now! :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 16th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I think that both songs from "Cars" ("Our Town" and "Real Gone") have a chance at a nom as well.
Turns out "Our Town" recently won "Best Original Song Written for Film" at the 2006 World Soundtrack Awards. I hope the song does at least receive an Oscar nomination. It's a beautiful tune.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 16th, 2006, 4:17 pm

No. Don't see it happening. Even though the film got good reviews, I don't see it making it very far when it comes to Oscars. Far more likely: "The Illusionist", since it came first.
Yeah, but...The Prestige was awesome!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » November 16th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Mickey wrote:
Wendy's Jane wrote:I think that both songs from "Cars" ("Our Town" and "Real Gone") have a chance at a nom as well.
Turns out "Our Town" recently won "Best Original Song Written for Film" at the 2006 World Soundtrack Awards. I hope the song does at least receive an Oscar nomination. It's a beautiful tune.
Good signs. Yeah. :D
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Meg wrote:
No. Don't see it happening. Even though the film got good reviews, I don't see it making it very far when it comes to Oscars. Far more likely: "The Illusionist", since it came first.
Yeah, but...The Prestige was awesome!
I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm just saying that I don't see it as an Oscar contender.

I've been hearing a lot about "The Good Shepherd" lately. That looks really good.

And I'm surprised--no, shocked--that NO ONE has mentioned "Snakes on a Plane". ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » November 20th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote: And I'm surprised--no, shocked--that NO ONE has mentioned "Snakes on a Plane". ;)
:roll:

:D

I didn't see it, but everyone said it was sooooo bad.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 20th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Picky, picky, picky...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » November 21st, 2006, 3:00 am

Wendy's Jane wrote:Picky, picky, picky...
me? :roll: :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 21st, 2006, 7:13 pm

Yes, you. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 25th, 2006, 3:56 pm

If this USA Today article is any indication, there's now some speculation about how "Cars" will do at the Oscars:

Will a Pixar-animated film go unnominated?

Since the animated feature category was established in 2001, Pixar has been the Meryl Streep of the cartoon kingdom. If the studio released one of its computer-animated gems, it was duly nominated.

And although Monsters, Inc. lost to Shrek in that first showdown five years ago, both 2003's Finding Nemo and 2004's The Incredibles easily nabbed the top prize.

But this year's Cars may be a different story. While a 77% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes is not bad, the rambling fable about a race car that learns to slow down and smell the fumes falls far below the critical love bestowed on the previous Pixar nominees, which scored 94% or higher. Grossing $244 million might be stellar for any other 'toon release, but it was considered a disappointment by analysts, given the studio's record-breaking rep.

Still, Jerry Beck, author of The Animated Movie Guide, can't imagine the academy doing a drive-by on Cars. "It's not the best Pixar picture, but it is the best of the bunch that came out this year."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 25th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote: Still, Jerry Beck, author of The Animated Movie Guide, can't imagine the academy doing a drive-by on Cars. "It's not the best Pixar picture, but it is the best of the bunch that came out this year."[/i]
:shock: although that quote does give me hope! It would be a shame for it not to be nominated, it looks really cute :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2006, 1:22 am

On the amazing color and designs alone, it should totally be nominated. As well as that knockout opening sequence.
I don't think they deserve to win, however.

And even though I haven't seen HF I don't think they deserve to win either--if not for the glaring cliches, annoying Robin Williams voice or Elijah Wood as the Penguin hero (how cornball can you get??:?)-- than the sheer presence of Penguins alone. Penguins won last year for best doc, and that's enough Penguins! :roll: IMO all this Oscar talk for HF all ties into that environmental theme. Too bad Fern Gully or Once Upon a Forest didn't come out this year. :roll:
About good movies you mean? Quite a bit, actually. I find myself agreeing with them more than I disagree with them.
Some of them are all right. The ones with common sense anyway. But many of them are media drones trying their darndest to kiss Hollywood a**. You should see how fickle they are and how quickly they change their minds about something once it isn't considered "cool" anymore. Like M. Night Shamylan--even though he isn't the greatest director who ever lived, I still think he has SOME talent, and they all practically fell over themselves calling him a "genius" and "the new Spielberg" when Signs and the Sixth Sense came out. Then when Lady and the Village came out, it's all M. Night s***ks, etc...etc..."Lady dead in the water." If they TRULY thought he was a genius instead of just mouthing what every other critic was saying, they would have found something to like in those films and at least defended him halfway instead of trashing him. I'm not saying he IS a genius, but their hypcricy and ignorance stuns me every time.

(ditto FA reviews: if they knew DW did half of it, as well as what that ACTUALLY MEANS, they would have been like--"too many crotch gags! Too fast-paced! Stupid pop culture jokes!"--which there were quite a few of. But since they think it's Aardman, of course it's "clever" and "witty" and "charming". Yeah, whatever. :roll:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 26th, 2006, 1:38 am

I love Once Upon a Forest! That had to be one of my most beloved films growing up :)

I do believe we'll see the DVD debut soon. Just recently I saw an add offering the film along with 3 others on one DVD.

So hopefully it gets a stand alone edition, I need it for my collection :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2006, 1:40 am

I love Once Upon a Forest! That had to be one of my most beloved films growing up
I'm sure it's a good film, I just mentioned it to illustrate a point. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 26th, 2006, 1:44 am

Haha :) you should see it though, I think you would like it :D