The Little Mermaid

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 19th, 2006, 11:16 am

He says that TBC is "Way too violent" and seems to believe even today that they should've "Edited" it.

He was actually going to cut "Part of Your World" just because a school kid dropped his popcorn during a preview screening? Good Lord! I mean, I know he's embarassed by it now. But still...

This man's always trying to make animation more appealing to adults, and look at how he started. Amazing.

Well, if you listen to the commentary he also:

1.) Told the animators to change Sebastian's "reconciliation" (yes, that's what they were going to do) with the French Chef at the end and have Sebastian get revenge on the guy.

2.) Told the animators to have Ariel say: "I love you, Daddy," to her father at the very end. And to put more action towards the end.

3.) And other stuff too of course....:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 19th, 2006, 1:07 pm

Vi, we get it, you LOVE Katzenberg. Maybe you could not mention it for, I don't know, a day or two. ;)

And that still doesn't change the fact that he wanted to edit out "Part of Your World".
What do you mean exactly? I thought it was actually very good for a DTV. (Some of the POE animators were transferred to Joseph as well.) Just curious.
There were far too many animation studios working on that thing. Look at the credits. I think there were at least twenty of them. And in terms of design, it seems that they just took the characters from POE and tweaked them a little.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 10th, 2007, 5:30 am

I don't know how true this news is, but a forum member at IMDB claims that The Little Mermaid III has been rescheduled for February 2009.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 10th, 2007, 5:50 am

Its a complete lie. 'Nuff said.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 10th, 2007, 2:36 pm

'Starletpageant' says that the announcement will be made via a trailer on the Jungle Book Platinum Edition DVD. Hence, I guess we might have to wait until October to learn if the rumor is true.

To be honest, I wonder if 'starletpageant' means February 2008. On the other hand, if Mermaid III is receiving as much retooling as Tinker Bell is, then February 2009 could be correct.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2007, 5:47 pm

From what I understand after a quick call to someone I know (;)), it's on track for release early next year, with Tinkerbell taking the same spot a year later (at least that's the plan).

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 10th, 2007, 6:35 pm

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Ben. Although I wanted to give 'starletpageant' the benefit of the doubt, I thought 2009 sounded a little too far away. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 10th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Yes, thanks for clearing that up, Ben! :)

However, I still say she's a phony. Everything "starletpageant' has posted in the last couple weeks, has been very questionable.

For one thing, starlet posted that Ariels mom would not be featured in LMIII. Um... Its already been confirmed that she would be in it, and not only that, but its been recently revealed in "Disney DVD Game World: Disney Princess Edition" that some of the questions that players had to answer, dealt with LMIII. In short, it mentioned Ariels mom, aka, Athena! What you know!

Simply ridiculous. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 10th, 2007, 9:47 pm

When it comes to Disney animation, a lot of things that were once confirmed have been changed recently. Hence, I just wanted to give "starletpageant" the benefit of the doubt, despite the confirmation of Ariel's mother being in The Little Mermaid III. Nonetheless, like I mentioned before, I thought 2009 seemed a little too far away for Mermaid III to be released. Thus, I'm glad Ben was able to clear that rumor up for us.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 11th, 2007, 3:17 am

True, but when stuff like this occurs, its usually confirmed through reliable sources, or press releases. This is not the case here.

I know you were just giving her the benefit of the doubt, Josh, but ever since UD discovered her posts, I, along with everyone else interested, has been keeping track of "starletpageant". -- Who, for the record, claims to be the 'mother' of Parker Goris, the new voice of Flounder. But wouldn't she have had to sign "nondisclore agreements", though? :?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 11th, 2007, 4:04 am

Sometimes cast members and their relatives let stuff slip when they shouldn't. Nonetheless, I was just basically saying, "Hey, someone at IMDB says The Little Mermaid III is coming out February 2009. I'm not sure how correct that info is, but you guys might like to simply know that the rumor exists." I never even hinted that the new date had been confirmed.

You responded, "Its a complete lie. 'Nuff said," not explaining that the matter was being discussed elsewhere and had possibly been proven incorrect. That info would have certainly impacted whether or not I would have continued to give "starletpageant"'s claim the benefit of the doubt. With much respect toward you, Daniel, I can't help but wonder if you might have given the rumor the benefit of the doubt as well, had you likewise been unaware of the UD conversation.

Speaking of that UD discussion, I've just taken a look at it. Some of the rumor's toughest critics insist that the release date for Mermaid III is November 21, 2007; November 2008; etc. But as you've seen, Ben has confirmed via a source wishing to remain anonymous that the film will be released early next year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 11th, 2007, 4:37 am

And I thank you for that, Josh! :) I would've posted about the finds too, but knowing this board, I know nobody would've cared much.

I'm really sorry about my blunt reply. I should've explained everything, and why I assumed it was a lie. Oh, and when I saw her original post, I was a little suspicious. Though, like you said, who knows what I would've thought, had there not been prior discussion.

Again, I'm really sorry, Josh. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 11th, 2007, 4:54 am

Aww, there's nothing for you to be sorry about, Daniel. :) I appreciate you sharing your opinion on the matter. I just hope I didn't sound harsh, in my replies.

I want you to know that I really did mean it when I wrote "With much respect toward you." You have a tremendous enthusiasm for animation, which is wonderful and inspiring!

With that said, thank you very much for the info you've provided. It's been a pleasure discussing the matter with you. *shakes hand* :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 11th, 2007, 5:24 am

Yes, there is! For me being so blunt in the first place. I'm usually a lot more detailed, as your probably quite aware of. ;) And no, you didn't sound harsh at all! I too didn't mean to sound harsh, so I hope it didn't come across as such.

Thanks, Josh! That's very kind of you to say. :)

No problem! *shakes hand back* :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 11th, 2007, 5:43 am

Daniel wrote:I too didn't mean to sound harsh, so I hope it didn't come across as such.
No, I don't think you came across as harsh at all! :)