The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2006, 7:15 am

I saw that set, but picked up Cat On A Hot Tin Roof and the 2-disc Streetcar separately.

There's been so much else I picked up lately but didn't "report" in here, but if it was animated I probably got it and a good few old time movie classics too!

I'll try not to hurt myself Meg! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2006, 9:17 pm

I also forgot to say that I finally got Return of the King (theatrical version) which is what I wanted all along, (not the extended) as well as Fellowship of the Ring. (theatrical version.)

It's just how I feel.... :wink:

Also, I really want the Lady and Tramp DVD, and (very different film) The Excorcist re-edited version. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2006, 11:14 am

Well, you're bonkers going out and buying those when the new editions are out next month and you could have both thetrical and extended versions!

I'm holding off these though, in anticipation of HD releases next year or even when The Hobbit eventually happens.

Just got "Queen Kong", a hideously bad 70s movie that has been kept under wraps since it was made. Haven't watched it yet, but it looks fantastically shocking. Amazingly the disc comes with commentary, theatrical trailer and a brand new anamophic print! Haha!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 31st, 2006, 1:20 pm

Just got "Queen Kong", a hideously bad 70s movie that has been kept under wraps since it was made. Haven't watched it yet, but it looks fantastically shocking. Amazingly the disc comes with commentary, theatrical trailer and a brand new anamophic print! Haha!
Queen Kong? Sounds wonderfully tacky. :wink:

Wonder if they took the '90s Godzilla route and made her...pregnant?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 22nd, 2006, 9:13 am

Well, even though I haven't waded through the last lot, I was in my import store yesterday and...well...

That Hong Kong Phooey set sitting there all alone was too fun to pass up. While I was there, I got me four of the six "mass release" Thunderbean discs (the other two, Popeye and 30s Characters, are on backorder), Brother Bear 2, Romancing The Stone/Jewel Of The Nile two-pack, and three Fox Classics (Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte, All About Eve, and the 1953 Titanic, mainly for the excellent "Beyond Titanic" doc on how the ship has been seen on screen from early newsreels to Cameron's epic), plus the Tracy & Hepburn Signature Collection (I love those battle of the sexes screwball comedies).

The Fox Classics are all on sale right now on Amazon too...picked up a few at the bargain price of $7.97, and all come with remastered transfers and decent extras. Have Desk Set (more Tracy/Hepburn) and Niagra on the way!

I need a loan! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 24th, 2006, 1:43 am

1953 Titanic, mainly for the excellent "Beyond Titanic" doc on how the ship has been seen on screen from early newsreels to Cameron's epic),
That sounds neat...wasn't it actually called "A Night to Remember"?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 25th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Nope, that was the 1958 British movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 25th, 2006, 4:52 pm

(I love those battle of the sexes screwball comedies).

Yeah...Down With Love was a great homage to that. :)

I think films today like You've Got Mail have tried to duplicate this type of theme, but they don't come close in my opinion....especially since the characters usually sleep together by the end of the first act. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 25th, 2006, 6:32 pm

I LOVED Down With Love. A very modern "classic" comedy. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2006, 1:08 am

Simpsons Season 8, The Secret of Nimh, and.....

Sex, Lies and Videotape,

Jawbreaker

Jumangi

(last three all from Wal-Mart bargain bin :wink: :roll: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 15th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Well, you're bonkers going out and buying those when the new editions are out next month and you could have both thetrical and extended versions!

AHHHHHH.....I saw these today for sale at Hollywood Video..... :shock: :oops: ........DARN DARN DARN :x ....oh well, I'll have to get those I guess, at least the Return of the King one anyway. (The best film IMO, although my personal favorite is Towers.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Twice Upon a Time

Post by timn » October 2nd, 2006, 7:20 pm

Cartoonbrew just posted a youtube link to Twice Upon a Time, a sadly mostly-unseen lucas/warner bros. production that has vanished from distribution. Horray for the internet in bringing us lost animated features, such as this one and the uncut version of The Thief and the Cobbler! First part can be found here, or on cartoonbrew's main page. I've only watched the first two parts so far, but am loving the great character animation and voices, esp Lorenzo Music.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » October 2nd, 2006, 7:36 pm

Funny thing is, David Fincher was a crew member on that movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 2nd, 2006, 9:42 pm

I have TWICE UPON A TIME on laserdisc; it is a wonderful animated film, quite unlike any other.

I do agree that the film should be released on DVD .. but I wonder if posting the entire thing on YouTube doesn't discourage the possibility .. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2006, 2:24 pm

I heard that WB were looking into this for a DVD release.

Funny thing is that is slightly letterboxed, like a 1.66:1 ratio, though the source looks like a VHS.