Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 15th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Well I finally saw BB and I thought it was EXCELLENT. LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT. The essay at the above link is really great for reflection on certain ways that Nolan did it better than Burton.

(I still do like Burton's, however.)

Be sure to click on "full version" so you don't have to read the teeny-tiny print.

Here's a really good point he makes:

26. "You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts!" I can not imagine Bruce Wayne, billionaire industrialist, playboy, genius and philanthropist, ever saying this phrase or acting this way. Not to the Joker, not to anybody. This is another example of Sam Hamm's awful understanding of the character. Several more examples of un-Brucelike dialogue can be found throughout the movie. It's as if Hamm were writing dialogue for a Kurt Russell action flick.
He's spot on there--Jon Peters and Peter Guber (Guber-Peters) were at Warners then and had a lot of power over stuff like that, even with Burton directing. (Burton wasn't a big wheel then at all) They thought Burton's ideas for Batman made him "wussman" and thus wanted him to act in a more action-hero type way. :roll:

24. There was absolutely no mention of how the Joker knew about or got his hands on the Smilex formula... Just a military dossier that he apparently found (stole? bought?) and a factory (how did he get control of a factory, anyway?) where he produced it and shipped it to stores. Several questions arise from this: Who worked in the factory? (He didn't have enough goons to run a whole factory.) Who shipped the products to stores? Who the hell was the scientist guy in the factory whom Joker yelled at? Wouldn't the police think it unusual that a factory that was abandoned is now operating, and if it wasn't abandoned, wouldn't one of the hundreds of factory workers tip off the cops as to the fate of their job? Where did the Joker get the raw materials for his products, which included soap, shampoo, deodorant, make-up, hair spray and other personal goods? This was a huge plot hole left unchecked. Thankfully, Batman came in and BLEW UP THE FACTORY and everyone in it, rather than leaving anyone to be arrested or escape the Joker's grasp.

Sounds like sloppy editing and deleted scenes to me.....

One more really good point:
28. I need to emphasize this: Batman intentionally killed the Joker. He would never do this. He has never done this. Even when the Joker has been in deadly situations, Batman has tried to save his life rather than letting him perish. He would not kill the Joker just to prevent him from escaping, and Bruce would have to know that tying a man on a helicopter ladder to a chunk of masonry would be a deadly situation. Batman murdered people throughout the entire movie, which is NOT what Batman does. He's a hero, even if he is a frightening figure.
Exactly, and Chris Nolan was the first director smart enough to fully realise this in his movie.

BTW Kim Basinger was pretty involved with Jon Peters then, which is probably what got her more screen time. (which unfortunately did nothing for the movie.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 16th, 2005, 5:43 pm

Same here. I think it'll be even better! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 25th, 2005, 6:55 am

I hope so... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 1st, 2005, 8:53 pm

Maybe now that the "dark" version of Batman is popular again, they'll dump The Batman and bring back Batman: The Animated Series to TV!!!!!! :)

Also if the next film has Robin in it, maybe they'll get rid of Teen Titans since a Robin cartoon with no Batman interferes with the movie version??? (*hopes*) :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2005, 9:31 pm

The Batman Forensic guide paperback novel has great background on The Scarecrow. (so much better than the Batman Begins novel, which is a waste of valuable trees.)

Scarecrow rules! :) :) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Dark Knight

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2006, 11:46 am

Everything seems to confirm that this IS official:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comm ... yid=346025

I still think Paul Bettany would have been better....

:roll:

I don't see much Joker in his face, but he IS a great actor:

And this picture shows he has potential:

Last edited by ShyViolet on October 14th, 2006, 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2006, 2:30 pm

Let's keep all our Batman Begins Returns Again, or whatever, news in here from now on please!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2006, 4:04 pm

It's listed on Yahoo as "Batman Begins 2" and some people refer to it as "Batman Continues". :P

I couldn't find the original thread, and figured I might as well start a new one. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2006, 4:38 pm

The title hasn't been finalised. It's "Batman Begins 2" officially until they work out what it will be.

I've heard it could be a colon title, like "Batman: Intimidation Game" was going to be before it became the boring "Begins"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2006, 4:50 pm

I also think for a while they were pondering a "Batman: Year One," film, (which I think is a much better title) but then it would have had to be modeled on the Frank Miller story....

Hopefully the new title won't be a lame one like "The Phantom Menace". (No one could believe that George actually chose that title. :wink: :roll: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2006, 3:42 pm

Batman: The Phantom Joker?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 28th, 2006, 10:35 pm

There was one website (not sure which) that claimed that Cillian Murphy would return as the Scarecrow if Nolan wants him. :D

EDIT: Oh wait here it is:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/639/639901p1.html

The film is being made in such secrecy, I doubt anyone knows for sure. :roll:

Batman: The Phantom Joker?
Actually that might have been a really good alternate title to Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (especially considering the plot, which I won't reveal of course)

I kinda hope that they use the Alan Moore story The Killing Joke as reference for this next film :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 29th, 2006, 4:13 pm

Heath Ledger? Does this mean we'll have a love scene between the Joker and Batman? :D ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 29th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Jake Gyllanal as Harvey Dent! :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 1st, 2006, 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2006, 4:58 am

From The Hollywood Repoter:

Ledger set as 'Knight's' Joker, by Borys Kit

Batman is heading into a sequel, this time titled "The Dark Knight," and he will face-off against the Joker.

Christian Bale will reprise his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Christopher Nolan is returning to the directing chair. Heath Ledger has signed on to play the sardonic and murderous villain the Joker, immortalized by Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's 1989 "Batman."

The script will be written by Nolan's brother, Jonathan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. Christopher Nolan and Goyer co-wrote last year's "Batman Begins."

The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. An early 2007 start date is being eyed.

Bale and Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins" was a critical and commercial hit, and relaunched the franchise. "Knight" will mark the third time the duo are teaming up, after this fall's "The Prestige," which will be released by Disney.