Metv toons network channel to air classic cartoons

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Metv toons network channel to air classic cartoons

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2024, 4:12 am

Not only vastly entertaining, but revealing whichever mastermind is actually behind it actually knows their stuff and has genuine appreciation for it.

Quite a unique voice for the info spots…if I didn’t know any better I’d say it was a George Feltenstein soundalike (especially the Froggy talk around 7:55), though probably not intentional.

Do they actually show their 4:3 stuff in those colored windowboxes, or "flat" with black side mattes? Reminds me of the old MGM/UA (and others) LaserDiscs that used to do this to preserve the text on the title cards.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 27th, 2024, 8:53 am

You got jerry beck working on the channel the guy who did the looney tunes golden collections, looney tunes guide books and saturday morning cartoons dvd sets you know we will get good cartoon info.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 27th, 2024, 2:19 pm

Announcer for the interstitials is Bob Bergen, probably best known as the current voice of Porky Pig. Does remind me of George!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2024, 6:21 pm

Gaas, you had me at Jerry Beck! No need for more info on that guy! We even met him at Comic-Con! Good to know he’s advising!

And the same for Bergen…you can tell from those spots that this has proper animation talent (of all kinds!) behind it, so it’s good to know my hunches were right and we have some true professionals guiding them on this. Very good! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 27th, 2024, 11:47 pm

Ben wrote:
June 27th, 2024, 4:12 am
Do they actually show their 4:3 stuff in those colored windowboxes, or "flat" with black side mattes? Reminds me of the old MGM/UA (and others) LaserDiscs that used to do this to preserve the text on the title cards.
4:3 content on MeTV Toons is pillarboxed (black bars on the sides). I haven't seen any colored windowboxes within the cartoon programs in the three evenings I've watched, so far .. that's just for these interstitial promos.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2024, 3:02 am

Oh, cool. Yeah, makes sense for the interstitials, but for the actual shows that’s even better!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 28th, 2024, 10:45 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 29th, 2024, 4:43 am

Wow…mentally great prints on a lot of these, and very good ones on others. And those interstitials are great, like potted disc extras.

Pros: seems Jerry Beck will be in his element here, making stuff like this to fill the void of actual disc extras.

Cons: kind of a shame this kind of thing has actually replaced disc extras, since we don’t get anything new like this anymore on new releases.

But more pros: I remain intrigued as to how long it will take Beck to organise some "special programming". I can see, once a routine is set, some themed nights, tribute blocks, etc, and even the running of archive documentary content as such in due time.

MeTV Toons looks to be the US cartoon equivalent of the independent classic movie channel we have here, Talking Pictures TV, which was a family startup in the last few years and has already become the number one go-to for film buffs, with more and more licenses as they go on. Even Disney has started letting them have some limited stuff. There is a niche for these kinds of things and it’s good to see the right people making it viable for companies to get involved with.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 29th, 2024, 9:10 pm

Disney studio shorts are kinda the big 'missing link' for MeTV Toons. Watching an average block of "Cartoon All-Stars," you'll see Warner Bros., M-G-M, Fleischer, Famous, Lantz .. in color and black & white .. with a 1950s cartoon followed immediately by a 1930s cartoon. :)

A Donald Duck or a Silly Symphony cartoon would slot right in to that program. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » Yesterday, 4:15 am

But then that would make it perfect! And, as we know, nothing in this world is ever perfect..! ;)