Finding Nemo

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Finding Nemo

Post by bawpcwpn » September 26th, 2006, 6:36 pm

The Sydney Morning Herald via Upcoming Pixar talks about how Aussie Christian groups and others want ratings to be revised, also calling Finding Nemo too scary. The article also names a few other animated films like Over the Hedge and Cars.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 26th, 2006, 6:42 pm

What kind of "Violence" was in "Cars"?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 26th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Ratings to be revised? I doubt that will happen anytime soon, but it could some day. And "Finding Nemo" scary? A little, but this is Disney. They've had plenty of movies that have been scary, and no one has done anything ("The Huchback of Notre Dame" anyone?).

And as Wendy's Jane asked, what's violent in "Cars"? I haven't seen it yet but doesn't look like that kind of movie :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 26th, 2006, 7:29 pm

Well, "Finding Nemo" *was* kind scary. And the opening is so sad. "I promise I won't let anything happen to you, Nemo". (sniffle) Okay, I need a minute...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 26th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Tractor-tipping, Mickey. Tractor-tipping. ;)

EDIT: GAH! Mickey, where'd your reply go?!?!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 26th, 2006, 7:54 pm

After reading the article, I just didn't feel my previous response was necessary.
Wendy's Jane wrote:Tractor-tipping, Mickey. Tractor-tipping. ;)

In my previous, now-deleted reponse, I speculated that the reason Cars might be considered too scary for some kids is due to Frank's entrance. Mistakenly, I noted that the scene involved "cow-tipping," when, as Wendy's Jane pointed out, it should be "tractor-tipping." :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 26th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Well, "Finding Nemo" *was* kind scary
Yeah, I agree! :) I still get a lump in my throat when I watch the begining. (sometimes). But you want to know which parts I think scary?

1.) When Nemo gets kidnapped by the divers and Marlin tries in vain to save him.

2.) The Jellyfish attack
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 26th, 2006, 10:31 pm

In my previous, now-deleted reponse, I speculated that the reason Cars might be considered too scary for some kids is due to Frank's entrance
Um, who's Frank....? :?

For some reason I don't remember. :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 27th, 2006, 12:37 am

Frank is the large combine that chased Mater and Lightning out of the field.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2006, 5:54 am

You guys are nuts!

Part of being a kid is getting the chills every now and then, and as if this world wasn't becoming as soft as it is over handling kids, movies are practically the last place they can go and have some thrills sent through them!

Besides, who wasn't made a little stronger by "surviving" through Snow White, Pinocchio, Bambi, etc...

I actually think that the Pixar films are a little soft, as we've discussed before. They actually need stronger negative aspects to help their otherwise "hey, the world's really one big okay place" outlook hit home more.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2006, 5:41 pm

You guys are nuts!

You act like we didn't know that! :P

Seriously, though, I do see some of your points there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Good.

The beginnings of my New World Order have been laid... :twisted:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2006, 9:00 pm

You guys are nuts!

Part of being a kid is getting the chills every now and then, and as if this world wasn't becoming as soft as it is over handling kids, movies are practically the last place they can go and have some thrills sent through them!

Besides, who wasn't made a little stronger by "surviving" through Snow White, Pinocchio, Bambi, etc...

I actually think that the Pixar films are a little soft, as we've discussed before. They actually need stronger negative aspects to help their otherwise "hey, the world's really one big okay place" outlook hit home more.
No, I completely agree with you Ben! :wink: I was just pointing out the scary stuff in Nemo (well, kinda scary) for argument's sake, in general I DON'T think there's enough of that stuff in their films at all. And anyway, who actually DIDN'T think Nemo would be found? Since I criticize Pixar a lot I thought it would be good to point out a positive.

But yeah, I TOTALLY agree with every word of your last sentence. Pixar needs more drama and action, stat.

Of course nothing bad happened to Nemo in FN, or to Violet and Dash in The Incredibles. Because as we all know, nothing bad ever, ever happens in real life. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 27th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Still, don't you think that what you're saying could also apply to several studios other than Pixar, Vi?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Sure, it applies everywhere in Hollywood, but not as much with Pixar. :wink: :roll:

And if you check out Mike Barrier's review of Cars, he says the same thing about Pixar. (at least in connection with that film)

And I'll just say one more thing about Incredibles: (gotta go in a sec! :) ) the entire film stressed over and over again how this is a scary, dangerous world, kids can get hurt, a man's wife and children can die, a villain can threaten a whole city, even kidnap a baby.

But you never actually felt this fear or danger. It was just said, not shown. Spoken, not felt. There's a big difference between the two.

And the whole thing with Supers actually capable of dying? I thought that was interesting and that gripped me more than anything else. But of course all the tension is taken away during Edna Mode's otherwise hilarious "Capes" speech. This one died of this, that one of that. Supers die, but it's funny here, so later on, how can it possibly be scary?

Plus with Syndrome (of course) dying in the exact same way, there is NOTHING that is all that frightening or upsetting in the Incredibles, even if Brad Bird thinks that he purposely went out of his way NOT to please a four-year-old. There was nothing, I'm sorry nothing, as frightening or intense in entire Incredibles film as there was in The Lion King's Mufasa dying/Simba almost killed/Simba finds Mufasa dead sequence. Four-year-olds, and older kids, were terrified and crying during the Lion King. This was reported in many places. How many children were really that "scared" during The Incredibles?