Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 29th, 2007, 1:01 pm

That's okay. I'll probably watch it before I read your review anyway. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 29th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Likewise for me, seeing as I'm going to be seeing it the day it comes out. :) (hopefully!)

Btw, anyone seen the commercials for Cindy III? I've been seeing them like crazy, and I always get so exited! One even has a reviewer tag, "Recaptures the magic of the original" squeee! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 30th, 2007, 6:57 am

Going to see it??

"Recaptures the magic"...not being funny, but that's just sales talk. Look on any Disney classic sequel and they'll have quote like that, to try and make it seem like it's almost even "approved" by the original animators.

Who said it anyway. Certainly not a prestige reviewer... ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 30th, 2007, 2:18 pm

The critic who wrote that Cinderella III: A Twist in Time is "just as magical as the original" is Bryan Erdy, NBC-TV.

Here are some more of Erdy's quotes:

"A treat for the whole family! Full of humor, action and charm!" (Air Buddies)

"A delightful, heartwarming sequel…worth the wait!" (The Fox and the Hound 2)

"Sure to become another Disney classic." (Brother Bear 2)

"An entertaining family film worthy of the original." (Bambi II)

As you can see, Erdy has recently been quoted quite a lot in the marketing for Disney's direct-to-video titles, like Sandie Newton of CBS-TV, Dallas.

With that said, please don't think I'm putting Cinderella III down! I've seen the film and quite enjoyed it. If one is looking for a quote to summarize Cinderella III, I'd say Ultimate Disney does a good job in describing the film as "one of the studio's sincerest efforts at making a legitimate follow-up to a classic."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 30th, 2007, 3:55 pm

Ben wrote:Going to see it??

"Recaptures the magic"...not being funny, but that's just sales talk. Look on any Disney classic sequel and they'll have quote like that, to try and make it seem like it's almost even "approved" by the original animators.

Who said it anyway. Certainly not a prestige reviewer... ;)
No, you misunderstood. I'll be purchasing the film, the day it comes out. Than, I'll be viewing it! :P

Yes, but that's true for any film/dvd these days.

As Josh posted, Bryan Erdy. IMO, he's more reliable than most critics around.
Josh wrote:With that said, please don't think I'm putting Cinderella III down! I've seen the film and quite enjoyed it. If one is looking for a quote to summarize Cinderella III, I'd say Ultimate Disney does a good job in describing the film as "one of the studio's sincerest efforts at making a legitimate follow-up to a classic."
But, how would one come to that conclusion? After reading your post, I just found it imformative. :?

Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed it, Josh! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 30th, 2007, 4:26 pm

Daniel Jake wrote:But, how would one come to that conclusion? After reading your post, I just found it imformative. :?
The conversation regarded the quote that Cinderella III is "just as magical as the original." My previous message could be taken as, "Yeah, but Bryan Erdy seems to like every Disney film he sees." Just wanted to make it clear that I do think Cinderella III is a good movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 30th, 2007, 5:17 pm

Oh, ok. Nothing wrong with that, though! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 2nd, 2007, 1:43 am

Forgot to mention this here, but Disney Channels going to be giving a 5 minute preview, of Cindy III on Sunday (2/4) at 7:55pm 6:55c!

And yes, I'll be tuning in! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 4th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Who would miss the Super Bowl for that?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 4th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Bah, I only watch the Super Bowl for the commercails. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 4th, 2007, 4:04 pm

*Ahem* its after the superbowl, WJ. ;) And like Meg said, I only watch it for the commercials! 8)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 6th, 2007, 4:15 am

The Cinderella III edition of DVD Deals is now up. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 7th, 2007, 5:25 pm

We'll probably get this sometime before long.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 7th, 2007, 5:42 pm

Got my copy, and for only 13 bucks! :)

I have yet to see it, because I'm ill right now, and I really can't enjoy anything. :( hopefully tomorrow!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 9th, 2007, 5:55 pm

As promised, yesterday I was all back to normal, so finally watched Cinderella III! To say it was one of the best DTV's, would be an understatement. Everything about the film was just fantastic!

The animation; while not as good as the originals, is certanly an improvment over Cindy II. My favorite part, being the climatic ending. Just beautiful.

Voices; were all near exact to their original counterparts. (save for a few) No real complaints.

Music; some have said that music wasn't all that great, and for the most part, I disagree. I enjoyed all of them. Sure, one was a bit of a stretch, seeing as how Cinderella's dream was just taken away, but its understanding. Jaq and Gus's song was cute. Can't have a movie, without a song from them. ;)

Story; amazing and full of twist.
The Anastasia arc was very well done. First, she's happy to have fit the slipper. Than eventually, she starts bonding with the King, and starts learning about love. And I liked the whole, feeling something with hand touching. Real nice.

The ending was very exiting as well. First, the whole pumpkin ride, and how she managed to get out, and jump on a horse. And lastly, when she finally arrives at the wedding, (with Anastasia turned into a Cindy clone) Anastasia says "I don't"! That was a shocker, but I kinda expected it. Also, when Lady Tramaine tries to turn Anastasia and Cinderella into frogs, that really reminded me of Shrek 2. As funny as that might sound.
And yes, I read your review, Ben. A little much, with the beginning rant, don't you think? ;)

While I understood your main complaints with the beginning, I kind of disagree. Yes, it felt a little rushed, but it really didn't bother me. And, as much as it seemed to borrow from the original, I just saw it as little homages. Nothing more.

That's about it, I think. Oh, I didn't mind the whole redrawing scenes from the original. It loss some charm, but in IMO stayed true to the original.

One thing puzzles me, though. When we see the ending portraits, what's that about? We see Anastasia and the Baker, so are we suppose to assume, she does meet him, just in the future, and this movie takes place before II? That's what I got out of it, at least. If so, that makes me happy. The third story was my favorite, so it would've been a shame, if it was completly forgottan.

All in all, this has to be one of my favorite sequels, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes the original. :)