Tintin

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 16th, 2011, 7:43 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... eview.html

Another review...

The reviewer hated the CG look and would have preferred hand-drawn animation.

Gotta say, I agree with him on the aesthetic part of the argument. Did not care for what I saw in the trailer before I watched Captain America this past summer.

No plans to see the film since I've never been a fan or had more than anything like casual interest in the series.

The movie will still make money but it's going to make heads scratch over WHY it wasn't hand-drawn instead.

I'm getting the feeling as time goes on that "CG=cheaper" to the minds of producers and some directors. Gotta say I don't like the fact that the GL series and the next Batman TV series (like we needed another one???) are CG, too. Would have been nice to see stylized animation. That's been one of the guilty pleasures of The Brave and the Bold series.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 16th, 2011, 8:20 pm

In a way, I would have preferred hand-drawn, but that ground was covered quite well by Nelvana, even if it was on a TV budget. So, I'm actually quite interested in seeing if Jackson and Spielberg & company managed okay with the motion capture for this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2011, 2:57 am

Personally, between the original Belvision series/features and the Nelvana show, I'd agree that Tintin in traditional animation had been done.

Back when Spielberg had the rights in the 1980s the idea was obviously for a live-action take, since The Beard was looking for something that he could continue with along the lines of Indy.

However, live-action would have natutally been very expensive, even today, so in a way we're kind of getting the best of both worlds. I'm a bit worried about the "slo-mo" aspects of some of the movement, but otherwise hwve big faith in Spielberg's story sense and Jackson's technical ability with motion capture.

I can't wait to be honestly entertained lke a big kid again! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tintin

Post by droosan » October 17th, 2011, 10:54 pm

New trailer..!

I'm still not 100% on-board with the hybrid 'Hergé-realism' design .. but I'll be darned if it doesn't feel like I've always thought a Tintin movie should. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2011, 7:28 pm

Tintin. Is. Awesome.

I need to go back to see it again to process the levels of jaw-dropping amazingness this movie has. Anyone talking about the uncanny valley is just saying it for effect. And, yes, that's coming from ME!

Just wow. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 31st, 2011, 7:43 pm

That's GREAT to hear, Ben! :D Shame we don't get it for two more months here in the states.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 31st, 2011, 8:18 pm

YES!!!

So glad to hear good news on this. I know you'd have been tough to please if it hadn't done its job well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 31st, 2011, 9:42 pm

I'm very glad to hear you liked it, Ben..! :D

.. but that's my cue to start ignoring the fact that this thread exists, for the next couple of months ..

8) <--*dons dark glasses, taps cane*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 1st, 2011, 12:49 am

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2011, 8:11 am

Dacey wrote:That's GREAT to hear, Ben! :D Shame we don't get it for two more months here in the states.
Yeah...but you get The Muppets that I have to wait till February for! :(

droosan wrote:...that's my cue to start ignoring the fact that this thread exists, for the next couple of months

Don't worry...I'm not going to spill any beans before everyone has had the chance to catch up (just make sure you see it opening weekend)!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 4th, 2011, 5:19 pm

I think this film looks great! Very excited about it. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Saw it again on Wednesday night. :)

This time I went for a more "technical" appraisal and still couldn't fault it. In the whole movie I saw maybe three or four small instances where it didn't quite (and I'm talking frames here), as opposed to Zemeckis' stuff where you're lucky if there are three or four times where it does work! ;)

I don't want to build up the hype, but it is amazing, and I'm probably going to go and see it again for sure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » November 5th, 2011, 12:05 am

Ben wrote:Saw it again on Wednesday night. :)
...Oh, rub it in with sandpaper! :P :mrgreen:

Not to mention having it easy, and getting to dodge the Muppet bullet for another few months...
For now, us hopeful Tintin fans are stuck doing what we used to do when waiting for a good movie in the pre-Internet days, and browsing through the dozen or so bookstore tie-ins.
So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing, even though it seems to follow Unicorn and the shipboard scenes of Crab pretty faithfully, and I already knew those from the Nickelodeon series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 13th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Good to hear that you liked it! :D

I'm still quite interested in seeing this, despite the fact that the mo-cap makes me cringe every time I see the trailer.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 13th, 2011, 1:19 pm

Trust me...in the context of actually watching the film, you won't notice it. I don't like mo-cap with a vengeance and I'm raving about this movie! Even the Thompson twins falling over the lamp post doesn't seem out of place and I hated that in the trailer.

Tintin is also into'd soooo nicely too (and by someome VERY appropriate!) that you'll soon be swept up in the overall experience! If it really didn't work, would I be going again next week!? ;)