Meet The Robinsons

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 2nd, 2007, 2:31 pm

Now what are the odds of that, droosan? :P

If you can't locate a theater showing Meet The Robinsons in Disney Digital 3D, try using this:
Find A READ D Digital 3D Cinema Near You

I've discovered there's a REAL D theater in the same place I'm seeing Sarah Vowell next week. Wednesday promises to be a fun day. :mrgreen:

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 2nd, 2007, 2:36 pm

Gah, so much hidden content!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 2nd, 2007, 5:49 pm

And its so hard to resist!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 3rd, 2007, 12:35 am

Why not rest your eyes on this awesme sketch of Bowler Hat Guy (from the Animation Guild Blog.)

Darn, blocked....OK here's the link:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_vAAW6cKgkN8/Rg0 ... lerhat.jpg
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 3rd, 2007, 1:24 am

Don't know if its just me, but I click and click and nothing happens. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 3rd, 2007, 1:37 am

Sometimes links that "pop up" like that do that...you could try it again in a little while and it might work. It's happened to me too, with links like that. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 3rd, 2007, 4:02 am

Had to post what this one reviewer said: :roll: :wink: (Jeff Vice, Desert Morning News)
As it is, this digitally animated science-fiction comedy has to settle for being sort of goofy and cool. It's certainly one of the more imaginative-looking Disney cartoons in recent memory. It also has one of the better stories for a Disney-released cartoon produced by Pixar, even if portions seem ripped off from the "Back to the Future" movies.
"Produced by Pixar" Ooooooookay......:?

:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » April 3rd, 2007, 5:58 am

Man....... I want to see it now!
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 3rd, 2007, 12:47 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 3rd, 2007, 2:42 pm

What? Meet the Robinsons flopped after having a completely HORRIBLE marketing campaign?

Shock, shock.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 3rd, 2007, 4:07 pm

I find one thing interesting, aside from box office grosses: (and yeah, RT numbers don't mean THAT much, but then box office grosses aren't always e=mc squared either :wink:)

Meet the Robinsons: 66% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

Cars: 76% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

Both films had their strenghts and weaknesses. But I find it interesting that the scores are so close compared to other years, like, let's say:

Incredibles: 97% or whatever it was, and Chicken Little: 37% (ouch :?)

But wait!! Many point to Treasure Planet as the "huge disaster" that sunk WDFA and was a signpost to all the bad films they'd put out afterwards...I checked it on RT, and lo and behold....Treasure Planet is 72%.....only four points below Cars, which was 76%.

IMHO, a lot of the bad reviews for films like CL and overwhelmingly good reviews for Incredibles and Nemo had to do (somewhat) with their respective qualities (although this is arguable in the case of CL, which I very much enjoyed, although I can see some of the critic's quibbles) but also on the period in which they came out....2003--2005 were the years in which Pixar Could Do No Wrong, and Walt Disney animation was going down the tubes, supposadely.

I think now, after Cars, which was a decent film but perhaps not the Citizen Kane that critics were expecting after Incredibles, critic's viewpoints have eased up a bit on Disney and non-Pixar films in general.
I think, now that CGI is much more established, they're a lot more objective, at least relatively.

All in all, while Chicken Little was not a perfect film, I definetely think it deserved higher than 37%.....probably more along the lines of what Treasure Planet got...72% or something.....Treasure Planet was pre-Nemo remember, before it became uber-fashionable to trash Disney and anyone who wasn't Pixar. :?

Just my thoughts. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 3rd, 2007, 4:16 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 3rd, 2007, 4:17 pm

But wait!! Many point to Treasure Planet as the "huge disaster" that sunk WDFA and was a signpost to all the bad films they'd put out afterwards...I checked it on RT, and lo and behold....Treasure Planet is 72%.....only four points below Cars, which was 76%.
I know Vi, such a shame
It just didnt find an audience, Sci fi in animation is a really hard thing to sell to a wide audience, people don't seem interested in it.

It was the same with Titan A.E., black cauldron, Atlantis,etc...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 3rd, 2007, 4:20 pm

Great review James,

I really liked robinsons but my main problem with the movie was that it was waaaay to short and as you mentioned didnt get to spend enough time with a lot of the characters.

Tiny who made it on every single posters was hardly in it,
At the end he seems to be their pet, but you can only find that out for yourself if you pay close attention to whats happening in the background and saw his dogtag on the posters

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 3rd, 2007, 4:45 pm

IMHO, a lot of the bad reviews for films like CL and overwhelmingly good reviews for Incredibles and Nemo had to do (somewhat) with their respective qualities (although this is arguable in the case of CL, which I very much enjoyed, although I can see some of the critic's quibbles) but also on the period in which they came out....2003--2005 were the years in which Pixar Could Do No Wrong, and Walt Disney animation was going down the tubes, supposadely.
Um, no, I'm pretty sure Incredibles and Nemo have high ratings because they were good movies. Chicken Little was not. If The Incredibles came out next week, it would probably get the same ratings it has now. Likewise with CL - critics wouldn't have liked it regardless of whether or not it came out in 2004 or 2005.
It just didnt find an audience, Sci fi in animation is a really hard thing to sell to a wide audience, people don't seem interested in it.

It was the same with Titan A.E., black cauldron, Atlantis,etc...
Treasure Planet and Atlantis were okay, but I kept feeling throughout both films that they could have been more. Even people who worked on Black Cauldron hated it, and I turned off Titan A.E. after about 20 minutes into it.

Animated sci-fi films (with a good marketing campaign, anyway) would probably do wonderfully if a great movie in that genre was released. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticing the rapidly growing number of sci-fi animated films coming out in a few years...