Harry Potter and the Wizarding World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 6th, 2006, 11:33 am

I predict that OotP will be split into two films. I'll tell you why.

1) It's the longest book in the series so far.

2) If you've read it, then you know that there is way too much important plot to ever be condensed into 2 1/2 hours the way that GoF was. To get everything in it would have to be AT LEAST 4 hours long.

3)I thought that the subplot with Grawp would be the first thing to go, but they ended up NOT cutting it, which means that for it to make sense and not seem out of the blue and completely random, they're going to also have to include the subplot about Firenze teaching divination and trying to warn Hagrid.

So there ya go. 3 reasons why OotP will be split into two parts (although I also predict that 99% of what happens at Grimauld Place will be cut, perhaps lessening the impact of what happens at the end).

And for the record, Goblet of Fire was the best HP movie they've done so far (aside from the fact that they didn't show the actual match of the Quidditch World Cup. That's my only complaint).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 6th, 2006, 11:36 am

I can't believe they didn't split HP4, so there is no way they'll split this one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 6th, 2006, 1:35 pm

No splitting on the movies. A friend of mine has seen the new script, and it's one film.

At least, with all the, frankly, filler in the last book, they won't have trouble cutting that down. Very episodic and drawn out. As I think I said above, I can see all the good development stuff being all shoved in, Sith-style, in the last book, making it basically a loose ends tie up as opposed to the true climax it should be.

The last book should have really started building that tension, but instead, after revealing Voldemort at the end of the fourth, he's almost no-where to be found in it!

Rumor is that Mike Newell may be back for the next, with Columbus (uh, oh!) back for the final one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 6th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Could you clarify that last post Ben!? You mention "last book" a few times. Do you mean the last book published (Half-Blood Prince), the last book from the current book (Order of the Phoenix), the last book from the movie we're discussing (Goblet of Fire), or the last book of the series (HP 7)?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 6th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Columbus...Agghh. I love the third and fourth film but the first and second were always 'meh', IMHO.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 6th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Wow. This is one week after "Fantastic Four 2". FF2 better have a strong opening, as HP will kill anything that stands in his way.

2007 is shaping up to be a strong movie year. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 6th, 2006, 5:59 pm

The HP films have never been captivating to me but they do serve as good aids in visualizing what you have read. Still think I've seen each one on opening weekend.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 6th, 2006, 10:24 pm

"No splitting on the movies. A friend of mine has seen the new script, and it's one film."

In that case I think it will be terrible. There is too much that's important to the story of the book that they'll never be able to cut it down. I think the absolute lowest they could possibly do is three hours and even that is too low. The reason I say this is because they need time to build up two things: 1)the viewers hatred for Delores Umbridge and 2)Dumbledore's Army. If it's just one film, they won't have time to properly develop Umbridge or her "educational decrees" and she'll end up seeming like nothing more than a minor nuisance and that, friends and neighbors, is just plain wrong. And Mac's right, they'd better get the Weasly Brothers scene right or I'm gonna be pissed off too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 6th, 2006, 11:45 pm

You just have to look at the 4th movie to see what is going to happen. The actual tournament itself was maybe 50-100 pages of that 700 page book at most, but it took up 80% of the movie. For book 5 they'll find one or two plot lines and base the film around those by disentangling (throwing away) the rest of the plot from it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 7th, 2006, 8:17 am

Sorry, James!

Here's my post again, in English! ;)

At least, with all the, frankly, filler in Half Blood Prince, they won't have trouble cutting that down. Very episodic and drawn out. As I think I said above, I can see all the good development stuff being all shoved in, Sith-style, in the seventh and final book, making it basically a loose ends tie up as opposed to the true climax it should be.

Half Blood should have really started building that tension, but instead, after revealing Voldemort at the end of the Goblet Of Fire, he's almost no-where to be found in it!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 7th, 2006, 2:18 pm

But Dumbledore died! That may have been the biggest event in HP history!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 7th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:
Honestly, I really don't know how anyone couldn't have expected it to happen. I assumed that would happen when I first started reading the book. I suppose in the UNIVERSE it was the biggest event. But meh. It wasn't shocking.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 7th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:
Are you responding to my comment:
"What they messed up was that after three and a half years we finally get to the most important scene in the series to date and they rushed through it as fast as they could"?

If so note that I said this was the most important scene in the series TO DATE - as in up to that point in the story.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 7th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Actually, I was responding to Ben's comment on book the sixth being all filler.

In my opinion, the event mentioned in my previous post will set several events in motion for the final chapter. It certainly helped raise a lot of questions regarding a certain character.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 9th, 2006, 12:22 pm

But shouldn't that event have happened a book earlier??

I think there's certainly too much being left to the final book...