Fantasia

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 29th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Oh,but not everyone have Blu-Ray yet,it's like DVD that everyone has it already,some people never heard of it,yet.
I believe they will release them on DVD :D.
Edit:Oh,and film were stopped being released on VHS in 2006/2005,Blu-Ray just started last year and I don't think there's even a Blu-Ray player yet.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 29th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote: Edit:Oh,and film were stopped being released on VHS in 2006/2005,Blu-Ray just started last year and I don't think there's even a Blu-Ray player yet.
Uh, there're about six brands of player on the market as we speak, and only a few of them work as well at playing movies as Sony's Playstation 3. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 29th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Still,they"ll release them on DVD as well.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 30th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Let's look at this realistically. Eventually ALL the Disney classics will come to Blu-ray Disc. It's that simple.

And they'll follow suit of the other studios by re-issuing them again on SD DVD, just to make sure they hoover up that market too. We don't really need Sleeping Beauty out on DVD again after just getting a (better?) two disc edition, but it's coming anyway.

All these films will come along with their standard def releases. They don't say WHEN Dalmatians will get released again...could be four or five years for all we know, which would be about right.

Personally, I made a pledge with myself years ago to have one copy of all the real Disney classics on all formats. VHS, Laser, DVD and whatever came next. Over the years, space considerations and the amount of titles added to the list has seen me lose a few tapes and lasers, and I haven't even kept up with collecting them all on DVD.

But...my bottom line thinking has <I>always</I> been to make sure I have each of the Disney films in hi-def. So, sometimes I haven't upgraded from VHS to LaserDisc, and sometimes I didn't upgrade from LD to DVD. But I have all of these films in some format or other with the intention of eventually having them all in HD. So for the most part I'm going to be lapping all these releases up, regardless of the bonuses, as my goal is to have HD editions of the films themselves.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 30th, 2008, 3:23 pm

I didn't got the 2003 Sleeping Beauty DVD and you know how much I love that movie so I"m very glad there's a much better PE coming.
And all the Disney movies will be released on Blu-Ray but they"ll also be released on DVD,it will take very long time until they"ll release them only on Blu-Ray,I mean,everybody have DVD today but not everyone (Or lots of people) have Blu-Ray,the Blu-Ray needs more time :).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Fantasia 2006

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 2:41 am

I'm trying to track down what all would have composed the now-canceled Fantasia 2006 that had been in production.

I've gathered that there was the following shorts:

"One by One" - released on Lion King 2-Disc DVD
"Destino" - the Salvador Dali/Disney project, supposedly being shown before Beverly Hills Chihuahua, and will release on 2010's Fantasia Blu-Ray release
"Lorenzo" - shown before Raising Helen in theaters, not heard from since

...these are the only three I know of. Were all the shorts completed, only not compiled? Or were some of the planned shorts never completed?

What other shorts are there out there that were intended for Fantasia 2006, and how can I see them?

Thanks!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 2:22 pm

The as released lineup was:

Destino – 2003, shown at festivals and the Disney Art exhibitions in Paris and Montreal. I've not heard anything about it "supposedly being shown before Beverly Hills Chihuahua", which would be a <I>VERY</I> odd pairing which I don't put much faith in myself, and it's questionable if it would be included on the 2010 Fantasia Blu-Ray.

One By One – 2003, premiered on the Lion King II: Simba's Pride two-disc DVD, not the original movie's two-disc.

Lorenzo – 2004, played as mentioned, with Raising Helen.

The Little Match Girl – 2006, premiered on The Little Mermaid PE.

All four played at the Newport Beach Film Festival earlier this year and, supposedly, a collection of Disney's Oscar-nominated and winning cartoon shorts will include all four films. The notion of another Fantasia hasn't apparently been totally forgotten, but whether these films would be "re-instated" or if they'll simply remain just sort subjects is unknown.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 2:36 pm

As for Destino, I heard it was being shown before BHC by an IMDb member. Not very credible. But was the Lorenzo/Raising Helen pairing any less strange? Lasseter has taken to showing shorts before all Disney animted films now, maybe live action films will begin getting the same treatment?

And the rumor that it might be on the Fantasia 2010 disk was another IMDb post. Again, not really credible.

Was One by One planned to be on the 2-Disc original DVD. I could have sworn I saw an ad for it to be on either the Tarzan 2 or Lion King 1 1/2 DVD.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Destino...I would still be surprised. The Disney shorts are usually played before an appropriate movie. Destino, being <I>very</I> artful, would bore the pants off the BHC audiences...just not a good fit the way Goofy was for The Game Plan or National Treasure 2. I could see it attached to a drama, but not a kids comedy.

The Raising Helen/Lorenzo pairing was very much less strange. Both are comedies, one might even say "sophisticated mature" ones.

The F/2010 rumor doesn't quite sit right either. Of course, it could end up there, but it wasn't, like Clair de Lune, a discarded short from F/40, just a later collaboration. It would be interesting, but again better suited to a F/2000 disc.

One By One...always planned for the Simba's Pride DVD. Again, both dramatic, and a marketing reason for fans to pick up what might have been an unwanted sequel.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Well, I like everyone hope to see Destino one day. And I'd like to see Lorenzo, too. Hopefully another Fantasia comes out that uses these. Even if they've now been unloaded as shorts, there's just a different vibe to seeing them all strung togehter in one film.

Maybe they should all just get a disc release together ala the shorts on "Disney's Legends" DVD.

I guess I just didn't remember correctly about the LKII DVD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Destino keeps getting mentioned for a special DVD and then pulled. It's been announced and dropped three or four times now. Most recently we should have gotten it in this year's Treasures releases.

It's an interesting short, bridging classic era Walt (it uses the original 1946 recording made for the short) and modern day (employing the CAPS system and plentiful uses of Deep Canvas-styled CG backgrounds).

It's neither a truly classic short, nor an ultra contemporary one...very unusual, but affecting all the same.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 4:29 pm

Well, I'm going to track down the LKII DVD and buy the LM PE when it comes packaged with LM: A'sB and LMII so I can watch The Little Matchgirl and One by One. And I'll look forward to a potential release of the other two some day.

But besides these four shorts, we know of not other segments planned for F '06?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » September 29th, 2008, 9:08 am

Bah - Ben beat me to mentioning the Little Match Girl :P. I actually cried the first time I saw it :(. I'm quite easily emotionally manipulated :P.

While on the topic of Ben - I wasn't aware the Disney shorts are usually attached before films - I only see them in Pixar's shorts before their films. I can distinctly recall seeing no Goofy short before National Treasure 2 :S. Must be a US thing?

Despite seeing One by One on the Simba's Pride DVD and thinking it was a wonderful little short film, I had no idea it was part of the scrapped Fantasia 2006. Perhaps it's just me, but while I think that while it's a memorable short film, I've always considered the original Fantasia to be less narrative-driven and a little more 'out there'. If they do make a new Fantasia flick, I'd love to see a few more 'psychedelic' sketches :P.
Last edited by GRUNT on September 29th, 2008, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 29th, 2008, 11:15 am

I know the UK got the Goof short attached with The Game Plan, not sure about others places.

And you're not the only the only one who cried watching The Little Match Girl, Grunt. ;) Such a masterpiece of a short.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2008, 3:07 pm

"the topic of Ben"...made me laugh. :)

Yep, Grunt, likely that Goofy was only shown on The Game Plan internationally (hence as I said in my post above). That's certainly how I saw it (though luckily I know the theater guy and he let me sneak in just to see it...I don't thik I could handle sitting through what was basically Suburban Commando again).