Meet The Robinsons

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 29th, 2007, 4:01 am

23 hours to go! (in Burbank, anyway :wink: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 29th, 2007, 12:36 pm

Anyone here going tonight at midnight to the El Capitan?

I'll be there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 29th, 2007, 2:05 pm

If I had a time machine, I'd already be there! :P

But since I don't .. yes, I'll be there at the El Capitan, at midnight .. dead-center of the 'Orchestra' VIP section. 8)

13 hours to go! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 29th, 2007, 5:48 pm

I'm soooo jealous! But I hope you both have a great time! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 29th, 2007, 5:59 pm

MTR is currently running at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » March 29th, 2007, 6:24 pm

Good to hear. I shall be seeing it again this weekend. Only not in 3-d or at the El Capitan.

Oh I wish I was American.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » March 29th, 2007, 11:07 pm

This is an article about Meet The Robinsons from my local newspaper The Vindicator. I'm rooting for MTR, but I found the premise of this article somewhat believable. I dunno. I say, read it but don't trust it, because it is, after all, a movie review.

Oh, and I typed this verbatim, so if the grammar is weird, it's not my fault. Heheheh.

Charming movie about learning from failure doesn't quite succeed
The digital 3-D animated movie is overloaded with lessons for the kids.

By ROGER MOORE
ORLANDO SENTINEL

"Meet the Robinsons" embraces failure.

This wildly eccentric scatterbrained sci-fi farce positions itself firmly alongside the great Walt Disney's own willingness to accept failure in the pursuit of excellence. And then it fails itself.

But it's brimming with ambition and charm. A movie reworked and joked-up after Pixar's John Lasseter took over Disney Animation, it's about an inventor-orphan named Lewis who fails repeatedly, but who is taken to the future to help fix the past. It's a way of giving Lewis hope when he has none.

"I have no future. No one wants me."

Wilbur Robinson takes Lewis forward in time to convince him that he's telling the truth about time travel. While there, the orphan kid meets Wilbur's loony family. The Addams Family has nothing on the Robinsons. Adam West voices one cracked uncle, a futuristic pizza-deliverer. Enough said.

The villain, a dopey beanpole out of a Tim Burton movie, literally twirls his mustache. He wants to claim the kid's latest science-fair failure as his own, and since he also traveled from the future (sleek, shiny time-ships) we know he knows something potentially important and grand about Lewis.

A cute helper robot (voiced by Harland Williams), a demonic robotic bowler hat and a T.Rex have parts to play. Singing, swinging, ring-a-ding-dinging frogs croon.

Jumps off the screen

And if you see this in digital 3-D -- the only way to see it -- stuff pops off the screen at you. This is a lovely use of that technology -- startling depth and detail and colors.

Disney used real kids to voice the 12- and 13-and-unders here, and the one voicing Goob, Lewis' orphan-friend (Matthew Josten), is Charlie Brown Christmas precious.

But the plot is slapdash and derivative. To compensate, they overloaded this adaptation of the book "A Day With Wilbur Robinson" with lessons to pass on to the kids. It's as if the animation team knew they had taken a swing, and missed, but they wanted children -- and maybe their Disney bosses -- to know aiming high and falling short is OK.

"Keep moving forward."

If you know your Mouse history, you know where that Robinson family motto comes from. The brand-spanking new Disney Animation logo (a snippet of "Steamboat Willie") trumpets that connection to tradition, too.

Three-D screenings of the movie will be preceded by a lovely looking but joked-starved 1953 Donald Duck/Chip'n Dale 3-D short cartoon, "Working for Peanuts." (Check newspaper ads to find a local theater showing it in 3-D.)

The 3-D experiment didn't take off in the '50s, and it may just be a fad now. But if "Robinsons" is how they're going to fail (and "The Wild" and "Chicken Little"), something a lot grander than "Cars" will come from this Disney-Pixar marriage, someday soon.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2007, 2:16 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2007, 2:18 am

I'm soooo jealous! But I hope you both have a great time!
Ditto! :wink:

You guys are soooo lucky. :) Please post on it ASAP!! :wink: :)

If I had a time machine, I'd already be there!
Oh yeah, time machines, that would come in quite handy. I'd use it to speed up this semester and make it May 4, time for Spiderman 3!!! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 30th, 2007, 5:45 am

PV, that review is online... hope you didn't get the carpal tunnel typing it!

Rotten Tomatoes has the film in the Fresh pile.... it's actually getting great reviews.

MAN, the audience at the El Cap ate it up this morning!!!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 30th, 2007, 6:20 am

I just got home. Loved it! :D I'll definitely be seeing it again this weekend .. the story moves, moves, moves! Like chernabog, I only regret that we don't get to spend more time with the extended Robinson family .. but rest assured, there's plenty else to keep the mind occupied!

Adam West was 'on-stage' before the show .. he was a riot! (perhaps more of a riot than Disney might've expected!) "Wilbur" and "Lewis" were there, too .. in 'walk-around' costume form; they looked fantastic!

Congratulations to everyone at WDFA! And thanks for a very fun film. :)

More details later today; it's 3:20 AM here, and I gotta get some sleep so I can go to work this morning ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2007, 6:54 am

Awesome Drew!! Can't wait to hear about it. :wink: :)

Also, just a quick question: I have a friend with a 3-year-old daughter.
Would you say it's OK for a kid that young to see it?

She's a pretty sensitive (and very intelligent) little girl :wink: who has pretty much only seen stuff like Sesame Street, Barney, Blue's Clues and Teletubbies. :wink: Sometimes, certain things in movies and TV scare her easily.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 30th, 2007, 7:11 am

I'm hoping I can see this today - that or TMNT. :) Glad it's getting good reviews!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » March 30th, 2007, 8:59 am

Glad to hear you liked it Droo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 30th, 2007, 12:29 pm

Shy,

My daughter isn't afraid of scary stuff in movies, and she's 3 1/2.

I'm not taking her. I think it's too loud in some parts, and it's the volume that disturbs her more than images (that dino can roar, even though he's cute!).

It's not a very scary movie. It's nowhere near the scaryness of most of the classic disneys.

But I'd recommend taking the girl to non-modern disney movies in a theater or on video first, as a dark theater and big screen are an overwhelming experience.