WALL-E

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 8th, 2008, 2:57 pm

Dusterian wrote:That's really good explaining, Josh. That's probably why they did it, I bet. Really. It makes so much sense.
Thanks! :)
Dusterian wrote:But what you and eddievalient still aren't seeing is that Pixar messed up by unintentionally insulting animation. You usually don't mess up on purpose.
Pixar didn't mess up if the anti-animation message is not in WALL-E. Unless you can prove the message is in the film, you can't say WALL-E has it.

I could take the scenes you are talking about and say Pixar is sending an anti-live-action message. After all, the live-action humans were the ones dumb enough to let the world get into such an awful state.

Of course, I don't think Pixar is sending an anti-live-action message, and I certainly don't think the company is sending an anti-animation message. Again, unless you can prove the messages exist in WALL-E, you can't say Pixar, intentionally or unintentionally, placed them there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 8th, 2008, 3:55 pm

Just a short statement about the whole live-action thing:
I thought Pixar's use of live-action was totally brilliant in this case. The live-action humans were, in my opinion, the leftover ghosts of all the dreams and feelings that the cartoon humans left behind. There was something very surreal about them, and it's this dichotomy that makes it all the more ingenious.

Yes, you can see them as "more" real than the cartoons, but Ireally think that wasn't the message at all--the LA humans were phantoms, the imprint of what didn't exist anymore, but also the buried potential of the "lazy" :P humans in the spaceship. WALL-E and Eva help them realize this potential.

This is the COMPLETE opposite of what we saw in Happy Feet. The live-action humans were only put in there to emphasize the "point" of the movie, which made the preachiness even worse. Everything was leading up to them, which had the tail wagging the dog so to speak. As soon as we saw that little girl tap the glass, the entire film's image fell apart, and the cartoon Penguins were just that--cartoons. It totally broke the moment.

Pixar's use of LA's just enriches the story's theme, rather than taking away from it.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 8th, 2008, 4:32 pm

Very nice Vi!

And here's yet another interpretation!

In almost every film and short they do Pixar tries to do something new technologically. I'm not even going to try to give examples because they are so numerous. Could this be a test for Pixar in creating a film with much less animation and much more live action? Maybe a movie about someone from Mars...?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 8th, 2008, 5:10 pm

...Or a San Francisco quake?

I'd love to take a shot at this debate, but it doesn't help that the movie isn't out here for another couple of weeks at least!

Looks like I'll catch this on vacation. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 8th, 2008, 9:26 pm

James wrote:Very nice Vi!
Thanks James. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 8th, 2008, 10:37 pm

Yeah Vi, I totally agree with you on the difference between this film and Happy Feet. The LA humans in that film felt totally out of place (and kinda creepy). While the humans we see in Wall E serve more like reminders from a long lost, and forgotten era.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 9th, 2008, 12:18 am

Beautiful post, Vi. Although I like Happy Feet, I agree that WALL-E uses live-action in a better way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 9th, 2008, 2:35 am

Thanks Josh, and Whippet. :wink: :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 15th, 2008, 4:15 am

Ya know, that interview with the producer of Wall-e is about the most boring interview I've ever read.

oh how interesting i was really wondering about her clothing choices!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JOHN•E » July 17th, 2008, 3:24 pm

I thought WALL•E was awesome! The animation was fabulous! :D

~~ JOHN•E
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z297/pix_ar/john-e.jpg[/img]
My name on Animated News is [b]JOHN•E[/b] But you may call me [b]John[/b]! 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 30th, 2008, 4:56 pm

I can't find picture but GP batteries have a pack with a figure of WALL-E or EVE,it's very cute :D I got WALL-E :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 30th, 2008, 5:15 pm

Click here, choose a country (Israel looks to be the only that doesn't block the figures with a banner) and click the middle button which stands for promotion. They do look cute!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 30th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Oh,yeah,I was at that website :D (I worte the number in the promotion part).
They"re really cute :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2008, 5:02 pm

Well, we'd checked out of the Disneyland Hotel. It was 11am and we didn't need to leave for the airport until 3pm. What to do? Hey, how about catch a morning screening of WALL-E at the Downtown Disney AMC?

And so, after a bite of pizza with Rand and family, that's just what we did!

After the previews (Chi-WOW-wa!) the new short Presto ran, of course. I liked the old style credits even if they were a little confused (the Disney background with the MGM font), but then again that might have been the point. The use of the MGM font for "Cartoon" certainly pointed to the Avery-esque tone of the short, which was fabulously frantic and funny. Pixar's shorts are always fun to watch, but this is easily their most all-round entertaining cartoon, and the bunny could well carry a series...!?

The fast and furious nature of Presto was spectacularly pinpointed to make the transition to the epic WALL-E that much more felt - the change in tones helping WALL-E make a heavy impact in its first few minutes. I was, quite simply, blown away and wanted to keep turning to Rand and say "wow" at every new shot that astounded me.

I don't want to put all my thoughts down here because I'm saving them for the eventual disc release, but some words on what's been discussed here: I loved the use of live-action...with WALL-E himself a "real" character in our real world, the use of humans was the right way to go, especially since they were referencing the Hello Dolly clip, which would have been prohibitive to have redrawn in CGI. I didn't have an issue with the CG humans later on either - this is what we're heading towards if we don't win the obesity battle, and rather than use actors with prosthetics the choice was made to use CG. This doesn't jar at all - it's evolution over 700 years, as witnessed by the fact that we still see the CEO on screen amongst these new human specimens.

To say this is an attack on CGI by Pixar is not only ludicrous but frankly dumb! CGI is the medium in which the studio has made its name and fortune...they're not going to use it in a derogatory sense no matter what! The choice to use CGI for the overweight humans was a necessity, I would imagine, determined by cost and the ease that they knew the filmmakers could churn out the required shots. I think it's a brave move to use real humans earlier and keep them real later on when the CG humans have evolved into lumpy lumps of fat. The company name also tells us, rather cleverly, where we are headed, by and large, if you think about it.

As for WALL-E and EVE's relationship...boy you guys read far too much into these things! WALL-E is a scruffy "male" - there's no explaining to do, he's just made that way. He's a tough guy with a tough job to do. EVE has been given, probably for the humans' comfort's sake, a female voice pattern - this makes her "female". He's beaten up, doing a heavy duty job, she's sleek, come down to explore but ultimately just come to look at flowers. That they should meet and become attracted to each other is natural law. There's just not enough to start pulling apart here!

Is WALL-E perfect? No, I don't think Pixar have made their perfect movie yet. Ultimately that WALL-E and EVE are not human might explain why they don't quite click with us emotionally and so the film perhaps doesn't resonate with us in the same way it might with "flesh and blood" characters (Belle and Beast, Ann Darrow and Kong), for instance. Then again we've become so jaded an audience that we know what to expect. Anyway, the ending didn't choke me up the way those other films did, or even how Ratatouille came closer to doing.

I couldn't believe some of the things I saw in WALL-E. It's an avant-garde arthouse movie masquerading as a summer blockbuster. I was awestruck at some of the shots on show. I felt as if there had been a shift in the intelligence that the studios had decided we audiences were capable of enjoying. WALL-E makes us think while it entertains, and does both effortlessly.

More than anything else, this is the <I>first</I> film I've seen that could <I>only</I> have been made in the CGI medium. Toy Story, The Incredibles, Horton, Ratatouille...they could have made just as much impact - maybe more - as traditional hand-drawn cartoons. But WALL-E could never have been classically animated. It simply demands the best CGI that can be created today and makes the best use of that technology. Pixar have always been a step ahead of the pack. With WALL-E, they just made a giant leap forward past two steps.

====================

BTW, I'll have to wait until the disc to catch anything that appeared post-credits as the movie ended at 2:40, we had to pick up our checked baggage and get to the bus stop for 2:50 to catch the 3pm Disneyland Express to LAX for our flight home, so every minute counted! But I was intrigued to spot a "live action visual effects" credit to ILM just before heading out the theater door...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by roschler » August 6th, 2008, 6:14 am

Hello everyone,

I didn't see a Fandom section so I hope it's OK to post here. I made a 90 second short of Wall-E playing the magic piano from hell. It features an all robot cast and includes Wall-E, his sidekick Roach, Eve zapping flying robots, and Elmo driving a car, all set to the tune of "Flight Of The Bumblebee". You can see it on YouTube here:

Flight Of The Wall-E Bee

Thanks,
- roschler