The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 7th, 2007, 8:16 am

I haven't had a chance to place it into my player yet, but the Chuck disc has a featurette entitled "Heart and Soul: The Timeless Art of Chuck Jones". Apparently it largely discusses the era featured on the disc. There's a quickie review here http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=138128 that likes the featurette, with more here: http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/th ... ction.html. Or, for a review with a few inaccuracies as well as unnecessary expletives, see here: http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=dvd&id=12628. It's the only one to identify the featurette as being 15 minutes long.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 7th, 2007, 11:13 am

There's also talk of commentary from Eric Goldberg, June Foray and Jones' wife...is that confirmed or are they meaning remarks spoken in the featurette.

Not enough to entice me so far (I do have all these on the three separates) but I'm willing to be swayed when you review it at some point. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 8th, 2007, 12:30 am

I believe the " Commentaries" are simply comments made in the featurettes, not audio commentaries.

This DVD was a no-brainer for me, as I had none of the previous releases. If I had the others discs, I don't think the featurette would entice me to bother upgrading.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2007, 3:24 pm

If there's a silly $4 or $6 price drop I'll bung it in a future order, but I'm good for now. Thanks! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2007, 4:16 pm

Back to the Blade Runner Conundrum (good name for a sequel!) and this has pretty much confirmed things for me right now:

As posted on Amazon, from the Hi-Def Digest printed in August:
Responding to persistent questions from early adopters on both sides of the aisle, Warner has provided further details on the exact configuration of its upcoming high-def 'Blade Runner' releases.

This time around, the studio apparently going the full disclosure route, revealing to Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits that while all five versions of the film included on the next-gen releases are being mastered in actual 1080p video, all of supplementary materials (including the new documentary "Dangerous Days," and the deleted scenes) will be presented <B>in 480p standard definition</B> only.
Unless anything has changed on those specs, I'm going to go standard def for now and buy the single disc later on, since The Final Cut will likely be the one I watch in future anyway.

Problem solved! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 8th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Cool.

And yay, the thread is now where it belongs! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2007, 7:48 am

Yeah, I've been meaning to move this for months! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 17th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Hey Ben, did you hear the Blade Runner DVD/HD/Blu, is being delayed for those who went the Amazon route and possibly all retailers? Here's A's message:
Amazon wrote:Production Delay: Due to production and shipment delays from the studio impacting all retailers, this title will not be available to ship by the street date indicated above. We are working with the studio to get this product in stock as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.
That stinks, did you already place your order?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 17th, 2007, 8:33 pm

Darn! This is THE non-animated release of the year. Actually, while most disc versions on Amazon show the delay on their respective pages, the HD DVD version (without the briefcase) does not. Likely the message will show up there too, but for now I'll hope my copy is still shipping tomorrow (along with Stardust and the Harry Potters on HD DVD).

If not, life will go on. I'll just have to wait a bit.

Thanks for the notice, Dan!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 18th, 2007, 1:39 am

Wouldn't worry too much Rand, seems the HD-DVD is being shipped afterall, at least for some folks. :)

My guess, is Amazon got way to many pre-orders on the other versions, that WB simply didn't supply enough. Here's hoping, anyway!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2007, 8:48 am

I got an email today saying:

"The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
1 Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ul... $54.99 1 $54.99"

...so guessing they straightened themselves out. I have the Blu-Ray edition ready to roll on my wish list (just going for the regular 5-disc there) when I finally go hi-def early next year (def by spring).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 18th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Mine didn't ship yet, but neither did another order that should have gone out, so I'm guessing they're a bit swamped right now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 19th, 2007, 4:30 am

Yeah, that would be my guess. Although, your not the only one Rand, so who knows. Looks as though Amazon is quickly trying to fix this problem, so kudos to them!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 19th, 2007, 8:12 am

I just got an e-mail today from Amazon saying that they are having "trouble obtaining" the Blade Runner, Harry Potter AND Stardust HD DVDs. BUT I just logged on to Amazon, and they now say that all items are "shipping soon", which usually means they are now being boxed up; but they show a shipping estimate of January 2-15. Hopefully, though, I'll get a shipping notice later today. They maybe got some new stock unexpectedly.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 19th, 2007, 8:53 pm

Darn. Now it says they won't ship 'til January. :(