X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: X-Men Movies Thread

Post by ShyViolet » July 1st, 2015, 10:51 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 12th, 2015, 10:38 am

OMG OMG OMG OMG...this sounds unbelievable!!! :shock: (description of Apocalypse footage shown at the Con.) Short "teaser".

http://www.slashfilm.com/x-men-apocalypse-comic-con/

Some mild "spoilers"--at least if you want to walk into the film cold.

Also first look at Apocalypse!

FYI: a character drops the f-bomb. (In an X-Men movie! Crazy!)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 13th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Yes, well, it's still Singer directing, so... ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 13th, 2015, 4:46 pm

Dacey wrote:Yes, well, it's still Singer directing, so... ;)
...it COULD still be a mess. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Need I remind you guys of the 700 million dollars DOFP made around the world? :wink: (Beating The Last Stand.) Or its score of 92% on Rotten Tomatoes?

So many people were wowed by the X-Men: A teaser at Comic Con. From the description it's obvious that it's darker than any of the previous films (and not just because of the swear). Can't wait till it hits the internet! :)

If anyone knows how to balance different characters and plot points in a film, it's Singer. :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 13th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Or Vaughn. Especially Vaughn. ;)

(And doesn't every X-Men film--with the exception of First Class--go for "more gritty" than the last one?)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2015, 5:37 pm

Um...Vaughn? That's why First Class had that ridiculous scene where all the young mutants "showed off" their powers and picked out names? ;) And had characters we were "introduced" to in a trivial way but never really followed up on their emotional stories? (Not as bad as in TLS but still pretty weak IMO.)

It was a very fun film but there was no overarching theme like in the Singer films. (DOFP and X2 both ask the question of whether or not humans and mutants will ever reconcile from a psychological standpoint) And Shaw's evil (watered down by Kevin Bacon's unbelievably bland performance) seemed like something from another film--maybe Superman 2, where the villains were all a bit over-the-top. Totally clashed with the sublime (and generally well-done) aspect of Charles and Erik's relationship.

X-Men: A looks scary. And the villain is terrifying in an almost seductive way. (Almost like Mister Sinister, whom I really hope will eventually have his own film.) This really doesn't seem like anything that has ever been done before. :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on July 14th, 2015, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 13th, 2015, 5:59 pm

And Singer's way of handling Storm and all of those...random mutants in DOFP was "emotionally satisfying" by contrast? ;)

Bottom line, this sounds like the exact same thing we were promised last time: A more action-heavy Singer X-Men film that deals with an "apocalyptic" theme. Except that that's not what we got last time (DOFP's action is remarkably small scale when compared to other blockbusters), and the sloppy way of merging two timelines that were never meant to cross ("Raven was like a sister to me...even though I've literally never mentioned her in any of the previous movies! She's just Magneto's right hand girl to me. If she were really "my sister" during this timeline, would she not at least seem interested in how I was doing? Or vice versa?") still makes me cringe a little. So he's saying that this time we'll get the spectacle he said we'd get last time (For God's sake, the villain's name is Apocalypse this time round), even though DOFP's final scene seemed to suggest we'd be getting an X-Men film with the original cast...which is not what we'll be getting at all now. Why go to the trouble of bringing Jean and Cyclops back if you're going to do nothing with them?

In the end, Singer's taken what was meant to be a reboot and made it into a "prequel" trilogy...to a trilogy of films that will never actually "happen" now! He's done these themes to death now ("The mutants are kinda like gays. Get it?"), and while I actually did enjoy DOFP despite my "nitpicking" of it, it doesn't really give me faith that Singer is going to bring anything fresh to the table this time around. :(

But keep being excited, Vi. Hopefully you will be right and I will be (happily) proven wrong in this case. :)
Last edited by Dacey on July 16th, 2015, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 13th, 2015, 6:09 pm

Dacey wrote:And Singer's way of handling Storm and all of those...random mutants in DOFP was "emotionally satisfying" by contrast? ;)
In the end, Singer's taken what was meant to be a reboot and made it into a "prequel" trilogy...to a trilogy of films that will never actually "happen" now! He's done these themes to death now ("The mutants are kinda like gays. Get it?")
Gee, I just didn't get that impression from X2...He should have clarified his point. :lol:
(So, Whedon can have "dropped the ball" on AoU, but X2 is the "coolest sequel EVER"? I stand by my belief that a director will always snap his own tethers and go goofy-self-indulgent on the hit sequel.)
and while I actually did enjoy DOFP despite my "nitpicking" of it, it doesn't really give me faith that Singer is going to bring anything fresh to the table this time around. :(
X-Men:A was just fist-rooting their end-credits scene from DOFP ("Yeah, Singer's back, bay-bee, we rule!"), without any real sense of where Stewart, McKellen or the old-school cast were going to go from there.
If DOFP wasn't the finale it should have been, think Singer may be looking at this one as the final finale, while Fox reportedly wants to go for New Mutants as the next storyline afterwards--Meaning, the old cast gets scrapped and we bring in the fresh cheap blood.
Never mind that the series folded about twenty years ago, unless there's been any new reboot. I mean, I read it back then, but it still seems more strategic than actually benefitting the canon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Thanks Dacey! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 16th, 2015, 2:43 pm

And Apocalypse looks like...sad Megamind?

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/15/x- ... tion-ew?ew

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 16th, 2015, 3:42 pm

I think he looks terrifying! :shock: :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Why do I keep seeing Peter Boyle's Frankenstein's Creature...!? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 16th, 2015, 6:47 pm

Another (scarier) look at Apocalypse, plus Psylock and Storm: (2 of his horsemen.)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/16/ ... m-and-more

Also young Cyclops, Jubilee, Nightcrawler and Jean:

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/16/first-o ... g-mutants/

Sooooo geeking out!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 16th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Ben wrote:Why do I keep seeing Peter Boyle's Frankenstein's Creature...!? ;)
Great, now you've got me seeing it, too. :shock:
(Specifically, that "Oh, sonuva..." look when Gene Hackman smashed his drink stein.)