DreamWorks' SHREK

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 29th, 2007, 3:01 pm

Didn't you see an early screening a while back Vi?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 29th, 2007, 3:35 pm

I'm fairly certain it was just a preview. (Right, Vi?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 29th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Ahhh. I thought she'd seen an early test screening.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 29th, 2007, 7:36 pm

No, it was only the first seven minutes.... 8)

I liked it, but (and I didn't say anything then) I kind of had my doubts....it seemed funny and all but not "ha-ha" funny....:P (there, I admitted it. :wink:)

Then the second trailer came out and it was so much better, so some of my hope was restored. :)

Great movie, even if a bit frayed around the edges here and there. I had a great time. :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 30th, 2007, 12:40 am

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2007-05-29/film/3

Wise decision and one I'm fine with! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 30th, 2007, 6:17 am

"we're not thinking this up as we go"

Um, suuuure! So 4 and 5 would have happened had 3 bombed anyway, right? And 2 was never thought of until the first had made moolah, right? And it was always going to be 4 movies until 3 did so big and suddenly we have a 5, right?

Sure, Jeff, sure. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » May 30th, 2007, 6:44 am

Such a Funny Guy this Jeffrey..
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2007, 12:50 pm

"we're not thinking this up as we go"

Um, suuuure! So 4 and 5 would have happened had 3 bombed anyway, right? And 2 was never thought of until the first had made moolah, right? And it was always going to be 4 movies until 3 did so big and suddenly we have a 5, right?

Sure, Jeff, sure. Wink
Well, they are making it up as they go, but they do put a lot of thought into it as they do it. :wink: So it's not just like a bunch of DTV sequels just tossed off every two years or so (I mean the not so great ones like Land Before Time, etc...:wink:)

I thought STT could have been tighter, but you could definitely see the effort behind it, and it is a good story. :)

(However, I do agree that the whole "we always planned four, no five movies" thing is wearing a bit paper-thin, to say the least. :wink: Shrek 1
was a huge risk in terms of combining the still relatively new CGI technique with fairy tale spoofs, pcr's and lowbrow jokes. The fact that it worked at all is pretty amazing if you think about it.)

I think that, after all the money spent, Chris Farley dying and thus DW having to change the whole film around, then changing Fiona from Janeane Garafolo to Cameron, then Mike Meyers changing his voice to Scottish--I doubt anyone expected any of this to happen. They would have been happy had it made a decent amount of money, and called it a day.
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 30th, 2007, 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2007, 1:03 pm

Ahhh. I thought she'd seen an early test screening.
Not to get back to this again, but the funniest, weirdest thing about that was watching a Shrek movie and knowing Jeffrey Katzenberg was in the same room. Freaky. :?
:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 31st, 2007, 1:00 am

I bet it was!
ShyViolet wrote:(I mean the not so great ones like Land Before Time, etc...:wink:)

:(

I like them, but I really wish they would stop. Enough is enough!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2007, 4:37 am

They can't stop Dan. Not until the grosses go down.

If 4 and 5 open like 3 did, expect a "due to popular demand, we're going to go out with a really big bang with Shrek The Sixth, which really, really will wrap of the series. I promise. Well, until Shrek 7..."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 31st, 2007, 3:26 pm

I hope that scenario doesn't happen. 5 movies is more than enough. That, combined with a Puss spin-off, christmas special, etc.... Even I think its to much! (Well, maybe just a little. ;))

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2007, 9:49 pm

(I mean the not so great ones like Land Before Time, etc...Wink)

Sad
Sorry Dan, I know you like a lot of the DTV's and I really respect that, as not everyone can get over there prejedices of DTV's to really, fully give them a chance and see the efforts of the artists involved.

Anyway, I can't really judge the LBT series as I've only seen the first one anyway....:? (I mean the theatrical film)

:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 31st, 2007, 10:03 pm

Wow, Shrek 3 was pretty bad. I didn't hate it, but it definitally felt like a direct to dvd movie. I wouldn't go see it or again or get it on dvd when it comes out like I would have for the other two.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 1st, 2007, 9:42 am

Ouch, Mac! :)

I'm still waiting here in the UK for the end of the month. I don't have big expectations for this, despite some enthusiastic comments and the box office, so will probably end up liking it.

But I'm not expecting a lot.