Madagascar

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 18th, 2008, 7:42 pm

He hasn't lost it--his heart just isn't really in it anymore. I think a large part of it has to do with Paramount taking over DWA (or at least distributing/marketing them) There's just too much pressure for DWA to be profitable and spin out toys/products/tie-ins/money. (As well as potential TV shows for Nick--*shudder* )

JK didn't even want to do CGI in the first place, especially the charicatured, cartoony style that he always disliked. Pocahontas/POE was where it was at for him. Madagascar--story-wise and even more design-wise--is about 180 degrees away from that. So, four movies, eight movies--it doesn't really matter anymore. :?

I really wish that somewhere down the line DW can just chuck it all and say screw profits, let's just make the kind of movies we were originally going to make. I don't know if that will happen, but I still hold out the hope. :) There's certainly a better chance of winning Best Animated Film with those types of movies than just another sequel...
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 19th, 2008, 6:40 am

There's certainly a better chance of winning Best Animated Film with those types of movies than just another sequel...
I think DW's biggest problem with their earlier films was exactly this...Too much focus on trying to win awards by picking 'important' subject matters that, while certainly more mature than the average animated film, ultimately were a little too 'big' for the DW style. I think the only one of their 2D films that really worked well for me was POE, which I thought was great...Other than that most of the topics dealt with in their movies (racism, slavery, etc.) just felt forced and hand picked by execs wanting to fill up their shelves with Oscars. That's not to say you can't or shouldn't make adult-oriented animated films - in fact I'm extremely disappointed that there really aren't any in the American industry - I'm just saying there were better ways to achieve this than trying to address touchy historical issues through song.

There kiddie CG

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 19th, 2008, 1:05 pm

JK didn't even want to do CGI in the first place
But the studio's very first film was done in that format, Vi.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 19th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Kinda long: :wink:
I get what you're saying WJ, and I could be wrong, but I think that even though Antz was the first to come out, POE was the first in production....? I know that before there really even was a DW, Spielberg asked JK what type of films he'd like to make, and JK said that he wanted strictly "epic" movies, so that's how POE was really born. (I think it was originally called "Moses.")

It was just my feeling, from what I know about DreamWork's early days and the "Ten Commandments/Terminator 2/Lawrence of Arabia" type of films they were planning, that CGI wasn't really part of the picture then, and really only became part of the plan because Toy Story did so well, hence DW buying PDI very shortly after. :?

Then after A Bug's Life did really well and POE did acceptable but not stupendous numbers, the whole DW/2d epic plan was cast into even more doubt. It's really hard to say whether it was comedies that became more popular or CGI (most likely the former) but any which way you look at it, it cast DW/JK's hopes for "epic" films into even more doubt, at least from a financial standpoint.

Even as early as A Bug's Life, I think the DW rationale was: "OK, even though we're halfway into these serious epics, we've got to re-think all the serious stuff and make them more like comedies, because POE just didn't go over very well." And as time went on and more and more studios (Disney, Fox) were getting into CGI, DW had little choice but to follow suit.

After Sinbad came out and barely made a dent compared to Finding Nemo, the handwriting was on the wall. This was right when JK said, publicly, that as things now stand, "the traditional animated film" was most likely a thing of the past. Of course, it had to do with money--DW was in really bad financial shape then. You can argue about whether he should or should not have given up 2d just to keep up with Pixar's numbers--it's really hard to say-but one thing is certain, at least in my perspective--it was something he really didn't want to do. In all these interviews at the time, and later on even with the Shrek films, he said over and over again that it doesn't matter whether or not the artist uses CGI or 2d because it all comes from the same place no matter what. I really don't think that he believed any of it.

He always hated cartoony, exaggerated styles and now he was more or less forced to make films like that. (at least if you look at it from a strictly financial and not artistic perspective.) That's why some of DW's CGI films, compared to the 2d ones, often felt remote and lifeless, even though they did have some very good qualities. It just wasn't what DW was going to be. They had no idea what the prime directive would be after A Bug's Life did so well and Sinbad, El Dorado and Spirit did so poorly. Of course we all know what happened next--Shrek/Shrek 2 swooped down, did amazing numbers, and saved the company.

And Shrek--at least the CGI comedy with pcr's and adult jokes-- would more or less become the general template for almost every DW film after that. Despite its merits as a film, as well as the merits of Over the hedge and Mad and even SharkTale, all these films were produced because of fianancial need, not so much artistic passion. Most of it was left behind in 2d.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 21st, 2008, 11:48 am

Yes, but remember, JK is a businessman. It's hard to know where he sincerely stands on anything, because he always seems to be flipping his statements around depending on how the tide is turning.

I'm sorry, but with him talking about endless Kung Fu Panda/Madagascar sequels *after* the original movies became big hits, it just seems like the man's not exactly honest. And he also seems like someone who really needs to work on his ego.

Anyway, I could say more, but we've discussed much of this in the past, and it's probably best if this thread doesn't become another big DreamWorks/JK debate. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 21st, 2008, 11:59 am

Did anybody noticed the trailer that I posted?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 2nd, 2008, 5:01 pm

I saw the trailer at "Get Smart" the other day. It looked amusing, but I'm still wondering if the actual movie will work or not.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » July 30th, 2008, 8:22 pm

Here is the latest trailer of the movie. It's mostly the same as the previous one with some additional scenes in it.

www.canmag.com/nw/11883-madagascar-crate-escape-trailer

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 30th, 2008, 9:18 pm

I loved the new manual joke!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » July 30th, 2008, 10:20 pm

I love the part where Julian say’s stop that thing; he’s carrying scissors and hand cream…

It’s hilarious (or maybe brings back unpleasant memory’s) for anyone who’s traveled lately.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » October 2nd, 2008, 3:11 pm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 2nd, 2008, 9:28 pm

Well, the part with the paper airplane was at least funny.

Still not sure about the movie, though. It looks a little forced.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 2nd, 2008, 11:22 pm

I have a big issue with DreamWork's policy of 'every film needs a sequel'. I mean...plans for up to, what was it, six installments of Shrek? And just weeks after Kung Fu Panda hit theaters they began talking about up to five installments? I'm not anti-sequel, but if we began to get Cinderella 5 or The Lion King 1/2 and whatnot... I'd definitely be against it. And on occasion, hasn't Katzenberger announced a number of sequels he plans to release and then upped that number? Maybe I'm stupid but it sounds as if they're trying to milk cows that sometimes aren't even born yet!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 3rd, 2008, 1:26 am

Neal wrote: Maybe I'm stupid but it sounds as if they're trying to milk cows that sometimes aren't even born yet!
:lol: That's the perfect way to describe it!

I'm not looking forward to this at all. But that's mostly because I absolutely hated the first one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 3rd, 2008, 9:54 am

Well,at least Shrek is popular and DreamWorks got more attention but Madagascar? I don't think it's that popular.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]