DreamWorks' SHREK

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 23rd, 2007, 8:51 pm

Nope, I didn't see it.

And yeah, that's why I said if earlier. If it does turn out to be a prequel, who knows if they'll keep the flashback route, or choose something entirely different. Hope not, though. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2007, 2:46 am

Josh wrote:The Animated Views interviews with Shrek the Third directors Chris Miller and Raman Hui are now online. :)
Great interview, Josh! Nice explanation on why they decided to name Shrek 3 - Shrek The Third. And the details about the upcoming DVD release, sound real promising! Also, I liked the inside joke question. Great homage to part 2! And lastly, it was nice getting some more information on Shrek The Halls. Hopefully it turns out good! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 24th, 2007, 6:37 am

Thanks for reading the article and for the kind words, Daniel! I'm happy you liked the interviews with Chris and Raman. They were both incredibly nice. It was a pleasure to speak with them. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2007, 7:36 am

Nope, the flashback scenario has been established. Shrek will tell his kids what he was like growing up, while helping them grow up too! Sounds...er, great?

I expect that things may change, as they often do, but this is what the fourth film's core concept is at this stage.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2007, 8:02 pm

Ah, gotcha!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 24th, 2007, 8:13 pm

No problem, Josh! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 25th, 2007, 2:28 pm

Interesting article on Shrek the Third, most of which I don't agree with (of course. :P)

I think Shrek has its flaws, and would have preferred that it ends now and they don't make Shrek 4. :? Enough is enough, Shrek should just go out on a high note and DW should focus on other things.

But it's a gross insult to the filmmakers/artists to actually compare it with Family Guy and Adult Swim--not just the themes/jokes, but the ANIMATION as well. :roll: :roll:

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?cont ... 231_105231

I agree, Shrek has had its day. Let's just leave it at that. Why the attack on all DW films? :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 25th, 2007, 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 25th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Also: an interesting article on animation today as compared to other countries discussed here:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=012338

:wink:
Nope, the flashback scenario has been established. Shrek will tell his kids what he was like growing up, while helping them grow up too! Sounds...er, great?
I wish DW success, but I'm not too excited by this. Shrek is this lone, grumpy guy and adding kids is going to compromise that. Here they're just babies so it doesn't show as much. Making them teens (or even pre-adolescents) is making me have a bad flashback to Quack Attack, or whatever that show was called. :roll:

Remember, Huey, Dewey, and Louie are like 15 are and all call Donald "Uncle D"? (*shudders* :shock: )

:P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 25th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Quack Pack, Vi. And yes, I vagually remember that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 25th, 2007, 8:32 pm

Ah, you're right Dan! :) I wasn't sure about that--I think I was thinking of Toon Disney's "Quack Attack" half-hour every day of classic Disney shorts, (usually around 11 or 12 at night, although they kept juggling it around) which they pulled about three years ago I think. :( :(

Yeah, Quack Pack. Hated how they screwed up the nephews!!! :?
That and have actual HUMAN characters alongside Daisy and Donald, etc...painful. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 25th, 2007, 11:31 pm

Donald's Quack Attack, Vi. (Sorry. ;))

Yeah, I use to watch the show too, when it was originally on Disney Channel. Than it when it began re-airing on Toon Disney, I watched it again. Cute show! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2007, 9:53 am

Don't forget that Shrek 5 has also been suggested. I think 3 is pushing it, but will hold off judgement until I see it, and think 4 is one too many but 5 PLUS Puss In Boots?

Money, money, money...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » May 29th, 2007, 1:26 am

Hey Vi, your thoughts on The Third? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 29th, 2007, 2:14 am

She'll post them on the 3rd, silly! ;)

But seriously, I would like to know to! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 29th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Oh wow....it's sort of complicated as I was sort of lowering my expectations because of what everyone was saying. I would still love it no matter what, but I was still preparing myself in case it "wasn't that great." :?

My feelings were mixed during it, but mostly I really, really liked it. :) I think it was the best that it could be. IMHO, although the characters are mostly the same, the Shrek world really expands here, with SO many new characters, settings, and places. Wow!! :) Shrek also gets "in touch with his feelings" a lot in this film, and although I'm not THAT crazy about that aspect of the film (Shrek's grumpiness is his charm) Mike Meyers did a great job with the character once again. :)

Highlights: I was so sure Justin Timberlake would be "so-so" or "just OK" but he was actually quite good as Artie, believe it or not. The whole Shrek/Artie "father" issues thing--I was expecting it to be overly sentimental and repetitive, but was actually done quite well. Also, to my shock Timberlake was actually pretty funny in some parts--yeah, it's hard to believe I know. :roll:

Shrek's anxiety over being a dad....sounded very lame when I heard about it, (which was one reason I really worried about this film) but once again, handled very well. Very sweet and touching, very believable even in this incredibly nuts setting of fairy tales meets Hollywood Boulevard. :wink:

Basically Shrek IS all about Hollywood, maybe not so much in the first one (although Duloc was pure Anaheim) but Shrek 2 and Shrek 3 definitely. Far Far away is full of phonies, weirdos, colossal egos and insecure, scheming jerks who think their looks entitle them to everything. (Like Charming) That's really the direction Shrek has picked to go on. I think it's a good direction, as long as its handled well, and so far it seems to be.

One thing though: Fiona seems more limited as a character in every film, unfortunately. I still like her, but I REALLY liked her in Shrek 1. Not so much in 2 or 3. :? The princesses--wow!! :) Annoying in some parts but I guess that was the point, so funny, Disney princesses as shallow Paris-Hilton type twits. Love it!! :P

LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED Merlin, pure Hollywood guru/therapist. Awesome character.

Many character driven jokes, pcr's where appropriate, and although I still love'em, Donkey and Puss's interactions were a bit repetitive of what they'd already done in 2. However, like I said, still love the characters.

Shrek himself--OK....I still like him a lot, and like I said Mike Meyers is at the top of his game here. But--he's getting way too "nice." Way too domesticated. In Shrek 1 he did whatever suited him, at least in the beginning--of course I understand he's changed now, with Donkey as a friend, Puss, plus being married and now being a dad. BUT he needs to be less toned down and more like he was in Shrek 1. At least a LITTLE more.
:wink:

Well, these are my immediate thoughts. Even though it's not as tight or action-orientated as 1 or 2, I had a great time watching it!!! :) I think a lot of the backlash from critics has to do with the fact that "well, it's the third time, enough already." I would also prefer they close it here, but I was quite worried both before Shrek 2 and Shrek 3 on whether or not they'd be able to successfully extend the franchise, and so far it seems to be working OK. I think that DW is aware of the "originality" aspect and for Shrek 4, they'll proabably go off in a totally new direction, especially if Shrek is young in flashbacks and probably acting "meaner" than his toned down self in 2 and 3. :)