Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 1st, 2007, 9:32 pm

Because that is the source!

But...really, I see your point. Plenty of things have been changed for other films...it's "interpretation" after all, right?
Yeah....I forgot about the Joker not being completely scarred in the comics, at least not in the original ones. (I think) But the 89 movie lore made it "accepted" that the Joker's grin is chemically planted on his face.

Some things just become accepted Batman lore. For instance, the Batmobile and Batcave were never in the original comics, but became that way after the serials of the 40s, of all things, initiated them! :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2007, 1:53 am

The viral/teaser site whysoserious.com has now become

http://www.rent-a-clown.com/

:shock:

I'm willing to bet those are his henchmen.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 9th, 2007, 9:42 am

I'm willing to bet those are random people they nabbed off the streets and slapped make-up on.

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2007, 8:58 pm

That could very well be but I still think it's related to the movie--it feels totally unreal and there's no other info than what we see.

Just part of the viral site thing:

Ibelieveinharveydent.com

whysoserious.com

rent-a-clown.com

It's all leading up to the movie! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 9th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Oh I know it's part of the movie - but I don't think anyone on that site is a cast member. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 10th, 2007, 9:59 pm

Gotcha, Meg. :)

It's actually started giving me the creeps....:(

:wink: :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » August 17th, 2007, 1:13 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 17th, 2007, 5:56 pm

*fangirl scream*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 26th, 2007, 2:27 am

Wizard World conference: fans' reactions to the first trailer--yes, TRAILER, not teaser--of The Dark Knight. No clips, but they talk about it, and.....wow. Wow.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » August 26th, 2007, 3:20 am

And here's the panel announcement a day before that, pretty funny guy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 27th, 2007, 8:05 pm

I thought Ras Al Gul was pretty cool as well and considered him the 'main villain' much more than I did Scarecrow.

But Scarecrow did the actual "grunt work" in that he made the toxic fear gas, told the henchmen how to spread it around the city, recruited men for Ras, and physically infected Batman with the fear toxin and then tried to set him on fire with a cigarette lighter. :shock:

It is Scarecrow's love of fear and terror that is the heart of the story. The entire theme of the story is fear--Scarecrow's buried fear of others (after being bullied as a child, although it's never mentioned but implied in how he talks and acts) is what galvanizes his cruelty and sadism. Likewise, Batman's fear as a child (springing from seeing his parents die) is what motivates his reckless actions as a youth and then later on his altruistic ones.

The problem with Ras as a character, despite being quite well acted by Liam Neeson, is that he lacks a "script". You really never find out who he is or why he's doing what he's doing. Like Sam Raimi's Sandman, Nolan hesitates to demonize Ras, and by doing that (as well as never having a proper hero/baddie confrontation at the end) he robs the film and the audience of a proper catharsis. (Despite the admitted cheesiness of Batman's taking down Jack Napier with a giant gargoyle at the end of Batman 89, no one can say that there wasn't closure.)

Either way, it all comes down to fear. You can use it for good, as Batman does, or take what you suffered to inflict evil on others. What does Ras fear? Does he fear Bruce? Scarecrow? Gotham's criminals? What does he feel? None of this is ever said. He basically exists in a vacuum. That's why I think Scarecrow was a much better villain, and in my opinion the heart of the story.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 27th, 2007, 8:26 pm

Also, has anyone else seen this picture? I guess it's for real, but I know it wasn't in the trailer.

EDIT: Sorry, it's not coming out for some reason. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 28th, 2007, 11:42 pm

Batman '89 TV documentary!!! :D

They're so ignorant about Elfman though--by then he wasn't just a "rock star"--he already scored Beetlejuice, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Scrooged as well as other other movies. :roll: :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » August 29th, 2007, 2:11 am

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 30th, 2007, 3:22 am

Interesting picture, Jeroen! Meanwhile, Comic Book Resource reveals a death in the film. For some reason, the article refers to the movie as The Dark Knight Returns.
"A Dark Knight Returns spoiler from a Gutterati working across the road from filming. He described, 'a funeral scene being filmed. Tons of white flowers, and all sorts of people dressed to the nines. And, low and behold, on top of the coffin is a large framed picture of Morgan Freeman.'"
Reading about that scene suddenly places a different light on something a certain actor told Coming Soon:
CS/SHH!: What were your experiences like working on the Batman sequel?
Freeman: The sequel. Alec Guinness remarked one time that he made more money on those two [Star Wars] movies that he was just featured in than he'd made in his whole career and had little or nothing to do. That's what it's like.