Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Frozen

Post by ShyViolet » April 1st, 2014, 6:20 pm

EricJ wrote: It was the only watchable movie in a summer where the blockbusters were tanking
What about X2, The Matrix 2, 28 Days Later and Terminator 3? :|
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 2nd, 2014, 1:17 am

ShyViolet wrote:
EricJ wrote: It was the only watchable movie in a summer where the blockbusters were tanking
What about X2, The Matrix 2, 28 Days Later and Terminator 3? :|
What ABOUT Terminator 3?? That was officially where the studios started to get worried. :lol:
(And wait, did you actually say "Matrix 2"?)

Well, actually, it was when Nemo went back to #1 after "2 Fast 2 Furious" did a quick 1-weekend crash, but no, analysts were actually shocked that Pixar made more money than Terminator 3! Huh?...How come?? It was the Terminator, fer cryin', fans still loved it! And where were all those loyal Matrix fans??

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 2nd, 2014, 12:23 pm

So how about that Frozen flick? I hear it's pretty good...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 2nd, 2014, 12:52 pm

Ah, thanks for bringing the subject back to "Movies that get historically mistaken for 'good', just because we all went a little crazy at the time and started throwing money at them before we knew what we were doing." ;)
(And the dangers that winner-written history can cause the next few generations...)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2014, 3:26 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 2nd, 2014, 7:05 pm

Actually...I thought I brought it back to the subject of this thread!

Seriously Eric...you seem to have gone back off the deep end you jump from every once in a while. I suggest you sit this out for a while, before it gets to the point where we discuss banning you. Again.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 6th, 2014, 4:19 pm

Frozen is expected to have a worldwide gross of $1.097 billion at the end of today (Sunday), which would movie it past The Dark Knight Rises as the ninth highest grossing film of all-time worldwide, based on the tallies posted by Box Office Mojo. The next film to take on is the most recent James Bond feature Skyfall, which sits at $1.108 billion.

I took a closer look and an interesting thing happened. The film's domestic gross increased 10.4% this week from last week. This puts the domestic gross up to $398.9 million, so it still has a chance to crack $400 million before it's run finally ends.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 6th, 2014, 4:25 pm

It would've passed the $400 million mark by now if Disney hadn't rushed its Blu-Ray release. Why not put it out in May or even late April when it was making that kind of money?

Perhaps the answer was in that question, but you know what I mean.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 6th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Frozen was still in the top ten domestic box office earners, up until the week of its home video release .. at #8 the weekend before, and dropping to #11 the weekend after.

Even now, it's still at #15 in those rankings .. not too shabby, for its 20th week in release..! 8)

----------------

It's very likely the current Blu-ray/DVD release was pretty much authored & ready-to-go-to-press before Frozen was even premiered to theaters .. and the home video release-date was probably 'locked' before then, too.

Still, after that first month or so of box-office frenzy .. you'd think someone at the studio coulda/shoulda leaned on BVHV to push their DVD/Blu release into summer, at least.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 6th, 2014, 7:15 pm

droosan wrote:Even now, it's still at #15 in those rankings .. not too shabby, for its 20th week in release..! 8)
Last week it was #17, so it moved up this week. Its like even though the movie is now on blu ray there are still many who want to see it on the big screen again and again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 6th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Droo is right. And keep in mind, that Disney still wants to launch the 3D Blu-ray this fall, so the 2D only version needed its own distinct release window. Disney knows what they're doing (though the film's immense success has to be a surprise), and they want to milk this one good.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 13th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Box Office Mojo projects that Frozen will finish the weekend grossing a total of $1.112 billion world-wide, making it the 8th highest grossing movie of all-time world-wide (surpassing the latest James Bond feature Skyfall, which had $1.108 billion). Next up is The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, which sits at $1.119 billion.

Domestically, Frozen will have grossed a total of $399.4 million to finished the weekend. Which means it needs to gross a little over $500,000 in order to reach $400 million before it's run comes to an end soon. Despite the influx of new movies this weekend, including Rio 2, Frozen maintained it's position at #15, suffering only a 7% drop in comparison to last week's gross, and even increased the number of theaters still showing the film.

It is also expected that when Billboard tallies the numbers by Wednesday, the soundtrack will have spent its tenth nonconsecutive week at #1 on their Top 200 Albums chart. This would tie it with The Lion King soundtrack for the soundtrack of an animated feature with the most weeks at the top of the charts. The movie soundtrack with the most weeks at the top of the charts is Titanic with sixteen.

One to also keep an eye on is "Let It Go", which has been locked in at #5 on the Hot 100 Singles chart for the last few weeks (the top five has pretty much been unchanged the last few weeks, really) to see if it will possibly move up.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 14th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Normally I don't find HISHE videos to be nearly as funny as they think they are, but this one is alright...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 14th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Some are cool, some are just ok. But this one was great, thanks for sharing Dacey! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » April 14th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I'm just happy HISHE has given Nightcrawler more of a spotlight than the recent X-Men movies have!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!