Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 27th, 2005, 4:27 pm

The new one looks like a retread - I'm very interested in seeing it, but also very scared that TB has messed it up. The more I see of the Oompa Lumpas and I think...well? What's so special about THEM?
They're all played by the same guy! :)

I don't know, TB has a great twisted humor about him, kind of like Dahl. I think the two are a perfect match. :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 28th, 2005, 11:57 am

Oh, that is so lame.

Seriously, that's just pointless and really made me question this now. I just don't get it. What a waste.

I could go on, but you'll get my drift. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2005, 3:52 pm

You have to watch that Futurama episode where they go to the planet that makes "Slurm": it's a really funny parody of the Gene Wilder film.
:lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 2nd, 2005, 7:55 am

Yeah, seen that. Now THEY'RE Oompa Lumpas!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2005, 3:26 pm

Or "Grunka-Lunkas"! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 2nd, 2005, 3:41 pm

Chumba whumba, golbulty goo.
Life isn't fair it's sad but it's true.
Chumba whumba golbulty gee
When your poor legs are stiff as a tree

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU'RE STUCK IN A CHAIR?
FINDING IT HARD TO GO UP AND DOWN STAIRS?
What do you think of the one you call "God"?
ISN'T HIS ABSENCE SLIGHT. LY. ODD?

MAYBE HE'S FORGOTTEN YOU.

CHOOMBA WOOMBA GOLBULTY GORSE
COUNT YOURSELF LUCKY YOU'RE NOT A HORSE
THEY WOULD TURN YOU INTO DOG FOOD
OR GLUE CHOOMBA WOOMBA GOLBUTLY GLUE

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 2nd, 2005, 6:26 pm

Looks like Gene Wilder isn't too happy about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2005-06-02/#8

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 2nd, 2005, 6:28 pm

SOMEBODY sounds JEALOUS :O

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2005, 7:14 am

Well, actually, I think he has a point!

There's nothing wrong with the original version, which is recognized as a children's classic and even had Warners pulling a 180 when the DVD was issued in foolscreen only and fans pressured for a correct widecsreen edition.

Gene Wilder saying the new one is "pointless" is absolutely spot on - especially since it appears to be close to a re-make than a "re-imagining" (hmm, where did we hear that word before... oh yes, on Burton's own remake of Planet Of The Apes... also pointless).

"Burton insists his film will be closer to the original Dahl novel, than Wilder's musical version" - that may be so, and that seems to be the catch in this day and age for remakes ("we're making it more like it should have been"), but there are many different ways to make the same movie and these do not look like much varied takes.

I don't think Wilder is jealous, either. Honest and surprised that a film that is still making money for WB is being remade, maybe. But the new one is simply an excersise in printing more green, however good (or bad) it may turn out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2005, 11:56 am

I just got the official movie storybook, with pictures from the movie. The set design DOES look a lot like the Wilder one. But at least the boat is a lot more like the one in the book, the river looks like real chocolate, and instead of the geese you have Veruca wanting Squirrels like in the book. (Her fate is more shocking in the book as well)

The Oompa-Loompas are TINY men (like a foot high) who all look exactly the same and who row the boat. They are freaky!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2005, 1:51 pm

JUST saw the full trailer. It's on Quicktime Movies for all to see! :

Two words:

Oh-kayyyyyyyy........ :shock:

Weird, and.....disturbing. To tell the truth I'm not so sure JD was the right choice for this--he's way too young (TB said they'd be more faithful to the book, but in the book WW's MUCH OLDER than Wilder even was!) The only thing I could picture as I stared into JD's pasty face and reddish lips was unfortunately another name associated with kids but not in a good way. (That's right, Michael Jackson. Taking the scene where Wonka hugs Charlie to a whole new level.)

I'm still excited about the film though. The kids seem pretty talented. I like some of the set design. Anyway, it'll be worth seeing no matter how it is, just for the sheer weirdness! :P
Yeah, seen that. Now THEY'RE Oompa Lumpas!
It's so funny. He's like: "Hey, I don't pay you to sing! That's going out of your bathroom break!"

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 3rd, 2005, 2:17 pm

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Depp looked to Michael Jackson's mannerisms for performance inspiration, like he did with Keith Richards when playing Jack Sparrow. When you think about it, Jackson and Wonka do have a few traits in common, though. They both are mysterious yet famous to the public. They both have "Neverlands". They both indulge in wacky and unusual style. And now, they both look pale and speak with high(er) voices, thanks to Depp's portrayal.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 4th, 2005, 11:03 am

And they both have a rather unnatural "affinity" with children...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 5th, 2005, 1:47 pm

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Depp looked to Michael Jackson's mannerisms for performance inspiration, like he did with Keith Richards when playing Jack Sparrow. When you think about it, Jackson and Wonka do have a few traits in common, though. They both are mysterious yet famous to the public. They both have "Neverlands". They both indulge in wacky and unusual style. And now, they both look pale and speak with high(er) voices, thanks to Depp's portrayal.

Those are very good observations. That makes a lot of sense.

On Animation Nation some people have noted the resemblence too, and suggested that Tim Burton should make a biopic of MJ--just another "misunderstood freak"--like Edward Scissorhands of Ed Wood!
Now THAT would be interesting. :) Can you imagine the NeverLand sets??

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 5th, 2005, 8:10 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Those are very good observations. That makes a lot of sense.
Thanks!
ShyViolet wrote:On Animation Nation some people have noted the resemblence too, and suggested that Tim Burton should make a biopic of MJ--just another "misunderstood freak"--like Edward Scissorhands of Ed Wood!
Now THAT would be interesting. :) Can you imagine the NeverLand sets??
Hmmm... you know, that might make a decent movie. Nevertheless, I think it would bomb at the box office.