Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Frozen (formerly Snow Queen) 2013

Post by Bill1978 » January 25th, 2014, 6:24 am

I know it's not a dead horse and very successful and perhaps I should have chosen a better slang term.

But I still think its a ridiculous notion to do one. but if people want to go and sing along with the movie so be it. I personally prefer to enjoy my musicals without audience joining in. It's a pet peeve. If I can sing along in my head out of respect for other people who may be seeing it a first time, then everybody else should LOL. Save the sing a long for home, plus what are people going to sing along to after Anna gets hit in the reprise, the orchestral score?? Maybe some random autotuning?

I think this would have worked better as a re-release. Postpone the DVD release to later, maybe around summer but the week before re-release with the novelty of singing along.

I can only imagine the screeching noises that will be produced by wannabe American Idol teenagers when Let It Go starts.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 25th, 2014, 11:45 am

Bill1978 wrote:But I still think its a ridiculous notion to do one. but if people want to go and sing along with the movie so be it. I personally prefer to enjoy my musicals without audience joining in. It's a pet peeve. .
Well, just so you know where they came from, they were invented in 1997, back when Paramount noticed all the big nostalgia business for the Star Wars 20th-anniversary revivals, thought there was now a cottage industry for 70's lore, and re-released Grease in theaters ahead of the DVD.
Then they discovered that audiences weren't really coming to 20th-anniversary revivals that weren't Star Wars, so they upped the Enforced Nostalgia factor and created the first Grease sing-along screening.
(They weren't officially co-opted by the gay audiences until Fox did the same thing with Sound of Music.)

So, really, they're just excuses to enforce fanhood. Which. in Frozen's case, means fangirls who have the soundtrack memorized.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 25th, 2014, 5:17 pm

:?

I should apologize in advance for sharing this...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 25th, 2014, 5:32 pm

I should apologize in advance for sharing this. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 25th, 2014, 9:10 pm

EricJ wrote:Well, just so you know where they came from, they were invented in 1997...
You young whippersnappers! I'll have you know in my day we were singing along with Rocky Horror in the theatres LONG before 1997!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's Frozen

Post by Ben » January 29th, 2014, 9:18 am

Yep...and Sound Of Music!

Singalong-A-Sound-Of-Music events were going on for a long while before 1997, while Rocky Horror screenings encouraged audience par...tici...pation not long after its original release, akin to how Frozen is being marketed now.

It's a little different because it's become more of a "classic" title thing to do...frankly I'm surprised the DVD isn't coming out in the fall for, y'know, winter and all, so they could have had a theatrical singalong reissue in September/October, ahead of a November disc release, but the continued success and singalong aspect that they're pushing now will only help its Oscar chances...and all the better for it!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 29th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Ben wrote:audience par...tici...pation
8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mwl89 » January 29th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Here is my review of Frozen:http://falleninparadise.wordpress.com/2 ... btqi-life/

I think the film is very applicable to the LGBT experience, specifically coming out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 29th, 2014, 5:59 pm

James wrote: 8)
Thought you'd like that... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 29th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Less Oscar competition for Frozen and Despicable Me 2 as one of the Best Song nominations has been rescinded

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/oscar ... 201076879/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 29th, 2014, 9:54 pm

It would seem like a trivial thing to result in the nomination to be rescinded, but it brings to mind, for me at least, the controversy twenty years back over the outcry at highly acclaimed documentaries Hoop Dreams and Crumb not getting Best Documentary nominations because the documentary selection committee at the time were extremely inept, even corrupt (if I recall correctly, they once nominated a film by one of their own as a favor). So to me, the clean up of the documentary controversy is something that the Academy still keeps in mind and this incident sparked those recollections.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 30th, 2014, 6:22 am

mwl89 wrote:Here is my review of Frozen:http://falleninparadise.wordpress.com/2 ... btqi-life/
I think the film is very applicable to the LGBT experience, specifically coming out.
Yes, the Alphabet-Soup community has been trying extra hard lately to establish rabbinical "gay lineage" for the movie, to "approve" it for admitting they like the same movie as sixty million other average normal people. (Only, y'see, their liking it is SPECIAL-ER, 'cause they see things in it we don't, wink-wink! :roll: )

I've spent the last week trying to convince folks on other boards, that no, that is not Oaken's "gay partner" in the sauna, and it's like talking to a brick wall with a rainbow flag on it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 30th, 2014, 1:59 pm

When I saw Frozen in the cinema and that sauna scene came up I saw a husband and wife with 3 kids. And heard the way Oaken spoke was someone who speaks English as a second language.

Even looking at the screencap on the net, I still see a heterosexual couple and their children. This thing reminds me a bit of the hoopla that surrounded Mulan being a lesbian because of the song lyrics in reflection about hiding who she is and the line after seeing her troop run past her naked 'I don't ever want to see another naked man'

Sometimes people like to see more in a movie to help them feel superintellectual I feel.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 30th, 2014, 2:55 pm

James wrote:Less Oscar competition for Frozen and Despicable Me 2 as one of the Best Song nominations has been rescinded

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/oscar ... 201076879/
It wasn't even that good of a song. Kinda surprised that it was even nominated in the first place, really (or that the guy behind the "campaign" could be so foolish).

But there's still U2's number standing in Frozen's way. Especially since it's a song about Nelson Mandela in the first Oscar ceremony since he passed away.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 30th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Bill1978 wrote:When I saw Frozen in the cinema and that sauna scene came up I saw a husband and wife with 3 kids. And heard the way Oaken spoke was someone who speaks English as a second language.
Even looking at the screencap on the net, I still see a heterosexual couple and their children.
The shot was so subliminal, I can't remember whether we saw his wife, or his relations, big dumb brother included. (Given that he's supposed to be a "Swedish" caricature, sort of goes with the ethnic joke.)
This thing reminds me a bit of the hoopla that surrounded Mulan being a lesbian because of the song lyrics in reflection about hiding who she is and the line after seeing her troop run past her naked 'I don't ever want to see another naked man'
Sometimes people like to see more in a movie to help them feel superintellectual I feel.
Again, there's a high concentration of gays in the Disney-fan community (you don't have to BE one to like Disney, of course, but the Venn diagrams do infamously overlap), but, so you like the same movie everyone else is going to see, well, hoo-freakin'-hah--SO WHAT??
They need "their" reasons for suddenly discovering something they emotionally connected with, otherwise, they could be publicly accused of doing something every other sheeplike flock of Normal people are now trendily doing...Ick! It's the evil N-word! Quick, make it look like a bold new discussion-sparking stand for social tolerance, a tweaking of social norms, and PROOF that silence is being broken in the once taboo mainstream! :roll: