Chicken Little

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » October 13th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Those are the Disney's wish to produce sequels to Pixar films, we don't know anything about PIXAR futur features and well it is a JimHill article.

As for Chicken Little, i'll tell you on monday what i think about it :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » October 13th, 2005, 5:38 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Did you see how many sequels Pixar might have in development? (wait, the only original film is the rat movie??)

And people complain about DreamWorks.... :roll:

(Does this mean Pixar might finally be running out of ideas? I'd be careful if I were Iger.) :idea:
uhm.. it's Disney who is desperate for sequels. The only reason Pixar is doing them is to make sure Disney doesn't screw up. Toy Story 2 was originally a DTV, but then Pixar made it into the classic it is today. They don't really have a choice.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 14th, 2005, 1:00 am

ShyViolet wrote:Jim Hill talks about what will happen if Chicken Little doesn't hit it big and the implications thus:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1690
Thanks for the article, Violet.

Kinoo wrote:As for Chicken Little, i'll tell you on monday what i think about it
Please do. I eagerly await your review. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » October 14th, 2005, 1:34 am

Toy Story 2 was originally a DTV, but then Pixar made it into the classic it is today.
Sounds like everybody won in that situation. Who's to say they can't do it a 3rd time? People might say it'd be impossible to make a 3rd good Toy Story film but I say Pixar are the people who can prove those doubts wrong. And maybe Disney could do it on their own too. Anything's possible.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 14th, 2005, 2:06 am

Does anyone else think that Finding Nemo 2 may deal with Gill and the gang trying to relocate Nemo? That could lead to some interesting situations, since most of those fish have never experienced life in the ocean.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » October 14th, 2005, 2:45 am

I think it'd be funny if it started out with Gill's gang still in those plastic bags.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 14th, 2005, 3:30 am

Exactly! Have the film start out with them still in their bags, thinking that the next step in their freedom should be to find their ol' pal Nemo. Then, the film can deal with that journey.

Another possible plot for a Finding Nemo sequel could deal with Dory, who has traveled somewhere, forgotten where she is, and now needs finding. A plot twist could come when Dory is finally found and realizes why she is where she is. Could it be that she was trying to find something or someone herself- or was she trying not to find something or someone? Finding Dory has possibilities, in my opinion. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by harkin » October 14th, 2005, 1:27 pm

Have it start out with a P.O.V. of a human filleting a salmon on a wooden counter top at a sushi bar.
Than do a camera tilt up to a fish tank to introduce your next set of characters waiting to be rescued.

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 14th, 2005, 3:12 pm

Mickey wrote:Does anyone else think that Finding Nemo 2 may deal with Gill and the gang trying to relocate Nemo? That could lead to some interesting situations, since most of those fish have never experienced life in the ocean.
That would be awsome! "What happened to Gill and the gang?" was a nagging question that annoyed my mind after seeing Finding Nemo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 14th, 2005, 4:46 pm

I think they did get out of the bags somehow because you do seem them playing together during the credits (if you watch them till the end.)

No "outtake" gags in Nemo or Incredibles though. I wonder if Cars will have them??
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » October 17th, 2005, 10:05 am

Before I give my opinion, let me review what I think I know.

What Pixar wants: Pixar gets 100% ownership of films, Pixar to finance films and keep all profits, Disney to only distribute.

What Disney wants: Disney keeps ownership of films, Disney/Pixar to split costs and revenue.

Here's what I think Pixar should do...

Work out a two-tiered contract:
Go with the Disney plan for the sequels: Toy Story 3, Monsters, Inc. 2, etc.
Use the Pixar plan for original movies: Ratatouille, etc.

Everybody already thinks of Buzz and Woody et al as Disney characters. By renewing the existing agreement on sequels, Pixar can protect the integrity of these characters.

On the other hand, Disney is short-sighted enough to agree to this kind of deal. They seem to think that there's no money in original ideas, sequels are where the profits lie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Your thoughts on Chicken Little

Post by Kinoo » October 17th, 2005, 2:40 pm

Well i had the chance to attend a sort of World Premiere of the movie this sunday in Paris (it was a premiere reserved for Disney Company's french employees) and i have mixed feelings about it:

The good points:

+ The design rocks, the backgrounds, the architecture of the town, the little details in Little's house full of eggs references, warm colors...
+ the character design very reminiscent of Disney's comics (Scrooge, Donald...) with anthromorphical characters.
+ The little gags are funny, some scenes hilarious (the references to modern pop songs via the pig's character are cleverly presented following the situation of the action.)
+ Chicken Little's father is the best character in the movie, the one we can the most feel attached to, well developped and to keep with the Disney's tradition, he lost his wife. Chicken Little is cute but i didn't care much for him. Fish in Water stole many scenes without even speaking (cool!) and i regret that we don't get to see more of the Porcupine character (very reminiscent of one of the Happy Tree Friends)
+ Some funny tributes and cameos of Indiana Jones, Signs...
+ The ending is HILARIOUS, a spoof of Hollywood way of making movies "inspiring by a true story". Great moment!

The negative points:
- This is a TERRIBLY not original movie! Disney did not revolutions the world of 3D animation with this chick, another movie comedy with cute and cuddly characters with modern jokes and pop references. Dreamworks and BlueSky did it a long time ago.
- The animation is not perfect, it's clear that this is a first time for Disney, some movements are not naturals at all (like when the pig fall or Chicken Little run). Very far from the perfection of a Shrek2 or the Incredibles.
- Flat rhythm, the movie is not exciting, we follow the story without great scenes to remember (except for the spoof at the end) like we can quote Dash's chase in the Incredibles, A Whole New World in aladdin or the Final scene of Wallace and Gromit. 1 hour after i saw the movie, i didn't have great memories of it! Very forgettable.
- TOO MUCH modern references and gags linked to contemporary culture (Spice Girls, cellphones...), i don't think this movie will become a timeless classic like previous Disney or Pixar movies.
- The two orignal songs (not sung by the characters but by an external voice like Tarzan or Brother Bear) are not great, very forgettable as well.
-The Disney's spoofs: All but funny, the openings (that we all seen on internet) parody was lame, a waste of time if you ask me, the movie could largely begin directly with the scene where Chicken Little scream that the sky is falling. And there is another one later in the movie about Disney's songs... Autoderision is good, but not in that case, it seems that they did that because it is fashion to spit on the classics thanks to mister SHrek. I hope they won't go that way for Rapunzel.

Final thoughts: Well, for a first try, it is not so bad but far from what we can expect from Disney. No revolutions here, just an original story with "déjà vu" gags and modern spoofs. The animation is far from being perfect. But it is not a bad movie compared to the recent shitty Valiant, not as funny as Kuzco or touching as Lilo and Stitch, not as good as old times movies, we don't know where to put Chicken Little. With the Enormous marketing campaign, i fear the movie will have a bad word o' mouths and with a rude conccurence (Harry Potter, Narnia, King Kong...), i predcit it will not be a great success, especially after the 2 recent old school success of Corpse Bride and Wallace & Gromit (which i prefer to Chick'Lil).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 17th, 2005, 3:02 pm

Interesting review. Pretty much what I'm expecting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » October 17th, 2005, 3:53 pm

Meg wrote:Interesting review. Pretty much what I'm expecting.
Ditto.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 17th, 2005, 4:48 pm

If the movie does average, that's even more leverage for Pixar....hmmm.....
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!