WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 18th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Of all the H-B titles recently released, this was the least exciting for me. However, it turns out it's kinda fun:

http://animatedviews.com/2011/rockin-with-judy-jetson/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by gaastra » September 10th, 2011, 9:42 am

Dragon's lair cartoon is next!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dragon ... ries/15912

Also more gobots coming!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 10th, 2011, 1:44 pm

In non-animated news, the good news is that Columbia Classics has finally brought the Dan Aykroyd/John Belushi "Neighbors" out of limbo.
(A little goofy, but one of the more surreal nightmare-comedies of the pre-John Hughes 80's.)

The BAD news is that Warner brought "Akira Kurosawa's Dreams" back in print, but as an Archive-only MOD, causing wails and tearing of hair among fans who had been waiting for the Blu-ray of one of the last color-Kurosawa's Criterion didn't own. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 10th, 2011, 9:02 pm

I found the Dreams news surprising, too.

I do like how the MOD programs are catching on, including with the other studios, but that's one film that would've been nice to see a pressed BD for.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 13th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Might have to use my knight's skills to nab that Dragon's Lair, if we get a review copy in... ;)

As for the way MOD seems to be going in general, well, as a few people - including me - have been saying, if the MOD programs have done any harm (as opposed to the good they do) it's that premium catalog titles are now being "dumped" out this way.

It's a big win for the distributors: they put out sub-standard product (as in with no real attention or cost to providing remasters) at a higher than usual price. Ker-ching! The ones that lose out are the fans, who can't afford but to get what they really, really want.

But it's not so good for some titles that really should be getting more respect. Okay, so DVD has plateaued, but there's still big markets out there for never-before-issued titles. Unfortunately, it's easier and making over-inflated better returns for the Studios to go MOD instead of mass-pressed and marketed discs.

There have been a few WBAC titles that signaled to me that we had probably seen the end of archival stuff on pressed DVD: Freebie And The Bean and The Phantom Tollbooth were both early/mid-range titles released to MOD that had been announced for wider release, but the last straw was the recent Man From Uncle Movies Collection set.

If that can't get a decent little boxed set release, then it's clear the only (sad) way for vintage stuff to come out now is through MOD, with sometimes poorly printed or packaged sleeves and, let's face it, more vulnerable discs, all for double catalog prices.

I loved the idea for obscurities, but not as a cheap output/high return way for the Studios to put out important product. I'm glad about Neighbors - a very surreal and dark comedy I'd like to see again - but the reissue of Dreams (and some other titles I've noticed come back into "print" via MOD) only confirms this approach as the new standard.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » September 14th, 2011, 3:57 am

Ben wrote:but the reissue of Dreams (and some other titles I've noticed come back into "print" via MOD) only confirms this approach as the new standard.
Particularly as Warner already HAD a good-looking broadcast-HD print of Dreams floating around iTunes and Netflix, which is usually the sign that it had some remastering at some point. (And the iconic "rainbow" shot looked pretty darn amazing in hi-def.)
Not sure if it's because A) there might not have been an existing Japanese Blu-ray, which meant no US version, like the Ghibli films, or else B) it's Warner....They think nobody's buying them anymore, and find an excuse to believe it. :cry:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 20th, 2011, 11:06 pm

More evidence of Warner shunting catalog titles over to MOD following actual retail releases: Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, Queen of Outer Space, and The Giant Behemoth are out at Warner Archive today. These were all previously released in a retail box set, which I'm happy to have.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 23rd, 2011, 5:17 pm

Might be worth trying to hoover up some archive retail discs before they go AWOL. I have a few box sets and singles on my wish lists that I'd rather pay less for now and have on DVD than pay more for later on DVD-R!

That's a fun set, Rand...I'm guessing the limited extras are being ported over to the MODs? That would be telling, if they reissued them this way and dropped any supplements.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 23rd, 2011, 11:58 pm

No word on whether the MODs have any of the extras.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 27th, 2011, 4:00 pm

http://www.wbshop.com/Flintstone-Christ ... ARCHIVENEW

Flintstones christmas collection is now there.

Includes all the christmas specials including the rare 90s special!

Also-

7 faces of dr lao-
http://www.wbshop.com/7-Faces-of-Dr-Lao ... ARCHIVENEW

and tom thumb

http://www.wbshop.com/Tom-Thumb/1000250 ... ARCHIVENEW

Both classics!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 27th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Great discs for sure, but too bad those George Pal titles don't rate proper reissues. I'm glad I finally picked them up on DVD just last year while I had the chance (both in snappers, I think!)

Nice Flintstones disc, too. I have those specials on VHS, but wouldn't mind upgrading.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 28th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Pac-man update on facebook. Someone asked if it will come out.

From toonzone-

"Eventually, yes. The reason for the delay is the state of the masters.

Many of them are really poor, and the fans deserve better. Once we can resolve that issue, we'll be releasing the series."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2011, 4:42 pm

gaastra wrote:The fans deserve better.
The fans DESERVE Quick-Draw McGraw. :x

On the Movie front...oh, now, this is just freakin' Holy Grail: :shock:
http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.sto ... rc=ESNY2WA
WITH Deleted Scenes, no less.
(Yes, including that one--It's actually not as bad as the Medveds' somewhat fruity Golden Turkeys dogpiling of it is, although it's no gazelle-footed classic either...I'm notoriously lenient on late-60's/early-70's flop-era musicals as historical curio.)

Columbia Classics seems to have a better sense than even Warner does at digging up the lost sought-after VHS orphans.
Case in point: http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.sto ... rc=ESNY2WA

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2011, 5:11 pm

I'm mad about the Pal discs. I specifically haven't picked up tom thumb because it was hinted a BD was in the works some time back.

Now only does this not seem to be the case, but the original disc has now been dumped down to MOD status. :(

I saw the Tony Randall Dr Lao a very long time ago and can't remember if it's worth owning. I've been waiting for a TV showing to make up my mind, but I might just see if I can nab both of these in their snappers before they disappear for good.

UPDATE:

Darn it. Too late. They're already charging around $40 for these on Amazon. :( :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by droosan » September 29th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Ben wrote:I saw the Tony Randall Dr Lao a very long time ago and can't remember if it's worth owning.
Anything with Barbara Eden in it is worth owning..! :mrgreen: