Toy Story 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 20th, 2007, 2:58 pm

Awhile back I read what was supposedly Pixar's original plan for Toy Story 3.
Apparently, they wanted to tell the story of what happens when Andy grows up because we all know what that's going to mean. The toys go on a journey of some sort and end up, at story's finish, living at a day care where there will always be children to play with them, thus ending the series on a happy note.
I don't know if they're actually going to use that idea for the film at this point, but I really hope they do 'cause it sounds like the perfect way to finish things off.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 20th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Alright, now we have 3 years of speculating! Geddit? ;)

Yes, I'm really anticipating Toy Story 3! Loved the original, and the sequel, so here's hoping!

As to that early plot, eddie, I believe that was the original idea, when Disney was developing it solo. Pixar had nothing to do with it.

But yeah, I hope they keep it aswell! :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2007, 4:38 pm

No, the daycare thing was Lasseter's plot. No word ion if they're going to use it, but he revealed that when it looked like Disney was really going ahead.

Disney's story was the Buzz recall. Lasseter's version was an intended series cap.

This is getting like Indy IV...it's going to be more than ten years since TS2 came out by the time this starts getting promoted.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 20th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Oops, my bad. I got the two of them confused. :oops:

In that case, I really do hope they keep the plot!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 20th, 2007, 11:39 pm

Disney's story was the Buzz recall.

Ah, I still think this sounded cute! :)

(Well, excpet for that whole "To infinity and bee-otch!" thing....:roll: :?)

But I agree with you guys, that daycare plot sounds perfect, I always get a mental "lump in the throat" :cry: when I think of Woody and Jessie's fears of being played with and then forgotten....I still think TS2 is brilliant, particularly how we see that it's Buzz who evolved emotionally and is the one to convince Woody that having a kid love you is the greatest thing ever...:) (by having the "fake" Buzz there, you truly see how far our Buzz has come...:wink:)

(I remember at the time that Diz had a really hard time finding artists to direct and work on Toy Story 3 via Circle 7....the artists were afraid of getting on Pixar's bad side...I know Pixar later said that they didn't begrudge those guys as they were only trying to stay employed but.... what DID happen to them? Wasn't most of Circle 7 let go? Shame they couldn't be recruited to work on the Pixar version....I'm sure they would have jumped at the chance.....:( )

Circle 7....AKA "Pixarn't" :? I feel sorry for them, hope they found work.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » February 21st, 2007, 10:35 am

I don't get it. When the Toy Story 3 thing was announced a couple of weeks ago it said 2009. Why the change?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lastunicorn » February 21st, 2007, 12:17 pm

Wow, what a long time to wait! It's such a blessing and a curse to hear about stuff like this -- you get excited, then realize you have to wait for years!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 21st, 2007, 9:03 pm

chernabog wrote:I don't get it. When the Toy Story 3 thing was announced a couple of weeks ago it said 2009. Why the change?
Maybe Pixar has something else planned for '09?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 12:26 am

Walt Disney Co. embraces the "F" word--franchise! :P

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... ticle.aspx

(Or as Roy Disney would say, the "B" word--"Brand".)

:roll:

(Oh Lord, MORE epic stuff??? :shock: I'm so sick of it! Old characters, new characters, what difference does it make if it ALL LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME????)

Need.....more......traditional....animated stories!!!!!!!! :P :wink: :) :roll:

How about going back to the old WDFA-Glendale/WDFA-Flordia playbook? There's so many ideas they were going to explore and never did--Swan Lake, My Peoples, and, oh yeah--The Emperor's New Clothes!!!
:) :) :) :wink:

Also, how about more "Arabian Nights" tales, aka Sinbad and Aladdin??? Like Ali Baba and the 40 thieves? Plus, there's SO MANY fairy tales and folk tales out there ready to be explored--what they need to do is invest in one of those huge Grimm fairytales volumes, or maybe "Fairy Tales from Around the World" books. Like that Chinese Cinderella that was on CBS Storybreak all those years ago! :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 22nd, 2007, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 22nd, 2007, 1:14 am

You know, I was actually gonna congrat you on the great headline, Vi, but unfortunetly, it was Jim's. :P

Anyway, all that franshise talk, doesn't really interest me. Nice that their still vocal about sequels, but are still willing to do franshises? Which are pretty much the same thing, only that they plan sequels right from the getgo. Right... ;)

On the subject of High School Musical, I would say its close to overkill. With DVD's of behind the scenes, and original movies, on top, of a theatrical movie, there's a time to just say "enough". Quite frankly, it was a nice little movie, but I really see no point in continuing it, or for the matter, way of continuing.....

And, another Air Bud sequel? Oye. :?

On the positives, I've seen some of National Treasure and it seemed very entertaining. So maybe a franshise would be cool!

Maybe! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 1:25 am

Daniel wrote:You know, I was actually gonna congrat you on the great headline, Vi, but unfortunetly, it was Jim's. :P
No biggie Dan! :wink:

But I DID come up with that "B word"--Brand thing....:P

Plus this so proves that a lot of Roy's problems with Eisner--not all of his problems but most of them--- had to do with ego, money and clout--Iger's guys are doing very similar things, maybe not in exactly the same way, but basically the same stuff that Eisner was doing. 70% of what Roy wanted was the new office, the Emeritus title, and Pixar back at Disney. Yeah of course the other 30% of dedication to animation/good entertainment was important and I'm glad the changes were made, but other than the whole Pixar thing the Disney company doesn't seem ALL THAT different from when Eisner was here....we still have the "princess brand" stuff, the DTVs, games, deals with other content distribution companies (except this time it's with Apple so it's OK :roll:) etc....etc....BTW I don't think that, on its face, there's anything that wrong with DTVs, toys, and GASP! branding, as long as its done competently.

Iger seems to have a good grasp on it, but I still don't think that it was THAT bad or different with Eisner....BTW, a lot of the stuff we're seeing recently (Meet the Robinsons, Chicken Little, Cinderella III, Fox and the Hound II, Tinkerbell Movie, Pirates 2, Pirates 3 etc...are Eisner projects.)

My point is that when Roy was doing SaveDisney these were the exact things he kept saying were evil and a betrayal of Walt, etc....etc....but now that Eisner's gone, Steve Jobs is on the board, and Pixar's here he doesn't care. But whatever....I don't care much either, just think it's all very hypocritical. :roll:

This is interesting to read in lieu of today: Larry King/Eisner interview excerpt from just about three years ago: (early 2004, right after Pixar left, Comcast issue, etc....)
KING: What happened with Pixar?

EISNER: Well, we had a fantastic run. We found a company that was making commercials. John Lassiter had been at Disney, he's got a lot of pixie dust all over him. And we tried to see if we could make a movie with them.

And we made "Toy Story," and then we made "Bug's Life," and then we made "Monsters," and them we made "Toy Story 2" and then we made "Nemo." And now we have "Incredible"'s coming out this fall and following that another John Lassiter movie...

KING: Both (UNINTELLIGIBLE).

EISNER: ... all from Pixar.

And Pixar and Disney worked together great for all that time. And they are fabulous people. And there's no question that we would have loved to continue.

But like Walt Disney himself when he pulled away from Columbia Pictures and wanted to go on his own, so Steve Jobs and Pixar really want to go on their own.

KING: No bitterness over the breakup?

EISNER: I don't think there's bitterness because we're still in business, we still all know them creatively. I mean it's a very small community.

I would have liked to have continued with them but the deal that was on the table, there was the right deal for Pixar potentially, for them, just did not add value for Disney.

And Disney has invented and reinvented animation twice, and you count Pixar, that's three times. We have a totally enthusiastic animation company. We are making movies in 3-D. We are making all kinds of live-action Disney movies, and we will continue and do very well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » February 22nd, 2007, 7:00 am

I don't agree with that at all. Disney is radically different from only 2 years ago under Eisner. Particularly in the aproach of campaigns as well as their plans for animated movies over the next few years and a major re-structuring of executive positions in the studios and theme parks. Not to mention the huge boost in profits and the removal of that god awful 'strategic planning' division.

The DTV sequels which diluted the Disney brand are now coming to an end, Disney owns Pixar and Oswald is back. Oh and 2d animation is making a comeback.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 22nd, 2007, 9:16 am

OF COURSE it's different from Eisner & Stanton's reign.
It's a lot like it used to be way back. People are throwing out lots of different ideas and the good ones are getting incorporated into the boards..."
from animationGuild.

Yuo see only what you want to see right?
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 22nd, 2007, 9:40 am

Then -- in December -- the DVD version of "High School Musical 2" will be released to stores. And this disc will not only feature a brand-new musical number (Which will deliberately not be shown whenever this new TV movie airs on the Disney Channel), but it will also include a special preview for Walt Disney Pictures' recently announced October 2008 theatrical release, "Haunted High School Musical."
Shoot me now, shoot me now, shoot me now!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2007, 2:29 pm

And then we have the High School stars spin offs, don't forget!!

Jim's a little late here on the franchise wagon. Disney's been intending to build franchises for years. Roger Rabbit, Dick Tracy, Rocketeer - those were ALL intended to launch successful series of films.

And Pirates 4 is <I>not</I> like Indy IV, which is a dormant series actually put to sleep by the filmmakers who originally agreed to make three and only three and call it a day with "Last" in the final film's title. Pirates is an ongoing franchise that has <I>yet</I> to see its third film released. There's no reason it can't continue and produce a series of six films.

Star Wars did it, and I believe six is the magic number Sony wants to hit with the Spidey pictures. Six, it seems, is the new three!

I'm a <I>bit</I> against animated franchises - don't know why. Maybe it's because we've had one-offs drummed into us for so long. An animated series, <I>intended</I> to be an animated series? I'd be up for that, but not just adding a II or a 3 on the end of a title because the first one was such a hit.