Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2008, 8:25 am

The new 2-disc/Blu-ray's features don't seem to hold a candle to the LD and SE DVD sets, Neal, so I'd jump out and pick up the 2-disc DVD from a couple of years ago, and the Blu-ray/DVD combo package, if you want <I>all</I> the SB supplementals on DVD.

Eric...at least somebody else out there remembers...!!

Dan...yes, about the compression, thanks for that. My beef is that on the zoomed/blow-up images, the compression blocks around the character lines looks pretty darned ugly. I'm just hoping that blowing these up to 12' isn't going to look like that times ten! Even regular upscaled DVD looks better than those images. Where did you hear from Lindsay? Looking forward to that compariosn.

Those screen grabs look better, but you can't really ever tell from things like that...there are so many variables. The selection of titles there cracked me up: SB, Iron Man, Godfather, and...Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Okay...proof that even Blu-ray makes anything look good, I suppose...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » September 29th, 2008, 9:46 am

Daniel-The Blu-Ray versions has a few exclusive features (Like a game called Maleficent's Challenge) too.
And Ben-The 2003 seems lame and the 2008 Platinum Edition looks MUCH better,the 2008 might be the best PE,I even like the game,there were many silly features on the 2003 DVD (Like Find Aurora's Castle game,paint Aurora and make an homemade Dragon Maleficent plushie).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 29th, 2008, 11:02 am

Yep, don't why you're telling me, since I pointed that out on the last page.

Of course, though this new Platinum seems better, it really isn't. For one thing we're losing a great commentary... though I bet only us Disneyite's care.
Ben wrote:Where did you hear from Lindsay? Looking forward to that compariosn.
UD. I'll be sure to post a link if/when she does it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 29th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Well, I'm an OCD collector so I'll likely get both. I like getting all supplemental features, even if it requires buying a movie in several editions. Am I the only one like that?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2008, 3:19 pm

No.
Ben wrote:Neal's a bit of a compulsive, me thinks...
I was right then. ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 29th, 2008, 6:36 pm

:lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 29th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Are you like that, Ben?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 30th, 2008, 7:52 am

No, but I just <I>had</I> to reply to this question.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 1st, 2008, 12:37 pm

I don't really mind the commentary,actually (Well,they don't come with subtitles).
Anyway I think it's much better then the 2003 DVD.
Ben wrote:The selection of titles there cracked me up: SB, Iron Man, Godfather, and...Forgetting Sarah Marshall? Okay...proof that even Blu-ray makes anything look good, I suppose...
Anyone can buy whatever movie he likes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 1st, 2008, 1:41 pm

It could've been a she who got those, y'know. ;)

Confession time, I'm buying the Blu-Ray version. I know what I've been saying, and I told myself not to and to resist, but... I guess the offer from Best Buy pushed me over. :oops: It's 25$, you get a free Aurora alarm clock (cute present) and you get a 10$ Best Buy gift card. How you get the gift card is a little silly, though. You pick up a prepaid envelope and mail in any Disney DVD title - just the disc, I imagine - and then you'll get your card in the mail. Sending one of your DVDs just to get a 10$ gift card!? Seems like an odd promotion and first I think, but it does make some sense. (I'll go back around the holidays and get $10 off another Blu, woot!) Luckily for me, I have a copy of Hunchback II (that I found!) which I can use toward this. That's the way I interpreted it anyhow, I don't have the actual flyer.

BTW, here's a comparison between the Blu and DVD. If you look at the one with Philip and Maleficent dragon, you can see more of its wing. And the second pic, I think, looks better. Though the DVD being darker is unique in its own way too. I can't wait to see for myself!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 1st, 2008, 1:50 pm

Do you have a picture of the Aurora clock? sounds cute :D anyway I think I"ll buy the DVD version,I don't have Blu-Ray yet and getting one disc of the DVD version and a version of a player that I don't have yet?.
So you"re buying it next week?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 1st, 2008, 2:03 pm

Yep, I doubt Tuesday so probably Wednesday. I have no picture, because like I said, I don't have the flyer. I hope they still have them when I go, who knows how fast they'll sell.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 1st, 2008, 2:09 pm

Can you post a picture when you"ll get it? thanks if you can :D.
Well,we have a holiday now so I want it as a gift (I should order it before Tuesday so when they"ll have it on Tuesday they"ll send it to me and I"ll get it faster).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 1st, 2008, 2:30 pm

If I'm lucky enough to get it and a picture hasn't been posted elsewhere, yeah. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 1st, 2008, 2:48 pm

Yay :D.