Shrek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rio » January 22nd, 2007, 4:56 pm

Well I saw the trailer in theaters and it dissappointed to hugely. I mean I wasn't expecting much but I was definately expecting more from the Shrek people. The trailer gives the movie a bad look to audiences, me at least. I see the quality of the franchise going down but I know people are still going to see it just because they think it's "Shrek" and "Shrek" is always good. I'll probably see it but we'll see what happens. The trailer was nothing theatrical or beautiful like PIXAR trailers tend to be. It seemed more like a white trash-people who make "Happily N'ever After" trailers.

But I think it will beat "The Simpsons"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 22nd, 2007, 5:13 pm

Rio wrote:But I think it will beat "The Simpsons"
We'll see. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 22nd, 2007, 7:55 pm

The trailer was nothing theatrical or beautiful like PIXAR trailers tend to be. It seemed more like a white trash-people who make "Happily N'ever After" trailers.
I don't think the trailer was the greatest, but I wouldn't judge a film's quality from the trailers--they're two different things.

And I don't think all Pixar trailers are theatrical or beautiful. Finding Nemo was a great film but the trailer was dull and repetitive. Ditto Cars. (Both Cars and Incredibles had that traditional Pixar self-congratulatory smugness, which turned me off both times, although I wound up thoroughly enjoying Incredibles.)
I see the quality of the franchise going down but I know people are still going to see it just because they think it's "Shrek" and "Shrek" is always good.
Why do you see the quality of the franchise going down? Don't you know that Shrek 2 was top-grossing animated film of all time, breaking both Finding Nemo and The Lion King?

People don't see it because "it's Shrek." Otherwise everyone would have flocked to Terminator 3 and Matrix: Revolutions (both did well but certainly not great).

People go see Shrek movies because they were very much entertained by Shrek 1 AND Shrek 2, they love the characters, the jokes, and the heart. That's why people go see Shrek.

I don't care for all Pixar films but I still see the appeal of their films, even the ones I don't much care for, and I know that the fact their films have done well consistently proves they are doing something right. It may not be my thing all the time, but I don't doubt their capabilities.

You have every right to feel the way you do about the films, they're not everyone's cup of tea, but saying the franchise is going down after the second film made an absurd amount of money (ditto the DVD) is just, well...inaccurate. You're entitled to feel the way you do, I respect it, but Shrek has MANY fans. When we got a short preview of Shrek 3 at Cornell University, do you know how many people went totally insane with excitement when they found out what it was? You can't just slam a whole group for liking something just because you didn't care for that film.

I'm sorry if this comes off harsh, I don't mean to be offensive here, I just want to point out that liking Shrek has as much validity as liking Nemo or Cars. It's personal taste, that's why there's forums to discuss opinions.
:wink: :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on January 22nd, 2007, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 22nd, 2007, 8:18 pm

Classic Vi. :P

In any case, I actually thought Shrek 2 was much better than the original. Mainly because of the villain, because I never cared for the originals. I really enjoyed her singing at the end, made it very climatic! :)

And I loved Puss in Boots! <3 ;)
Last edited by Daniel on January 22nd, 2007, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 22nd, 2007, 8:23 pm

I think I like them about the same, maybe the first one a little more, but they're both really funny and have a lot of heart. I didn't care for ALL the jokes, (particularly the scatological stuff, which always turns me off no matter what the film) but it always registers with me.

I think the first one will always be my fave however. :wink: It pretty much marks my the start of my devotion to all things DreamWorks. :) "Men of Faarquad's stature are in SHORT supply.... There are those who think LITTLE of him!" Awesome line! :)

And I loved Puss in Boots! <3 Wink
Yeah, he was the BOMB! :P

BTW love your new sig Dan! :D That's the cutest thing ever! :wink: 8)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 23rd, 2007, 1:05 pm

BTW love your new sig Dan! That's the cutest thing ever!
But...I thought you said my sig was the cutest thing ever... :cry:

J/K. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2007, 3:21 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I think the first one will always be my fave however. :wink: It pretty much marks my the start of my devotion to all things DreamWorks. :)
I see. So that's how it started? :lol:
ShyViolet wrote:Yeah, he was the BOMB! :P
Naturally. 8)
ShyViolet wrote:BTW love your new sig Dan! :D That's the cutest thing ever! :wink: 8)
Aww, thanks, Vi. :)

Its just my little way, of spreading the word. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2007, 6:12 am

Group hug! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 29th, 2007, 7:24 pm

It's really funny, when I was in Ithaca someone actually dared to ask JK: "Is Shrek a satire of Disney?" Then there was this pause, and K just smiled and said: "It's a satire." Everyone broke up then. :) :P
I see. So that's how it started? Laughing
Yeah pretty much. I saw the film in theaters, was entertained by it if a little shocked (I couldn't believe the stuff they put in there!) Then I started hearing about all this DreamWorks vs. Disney stuff and the whole Duloc/Faarquad connection, and I was like: "You. have. Got. To be kidding me." I knew about the whole Katzenberg/Eisner thing of course, (it seemed to me like it had been going on for years and years... 'cause basically it was.) but never thought it would actually filter down to an animated film! :wink:

That fascinated me, and it pretty much went on from there. :wink:

Honestly, I didn't think a whole lot about DreamWorks before that, mostly thought of it as "The Spielberg company." :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 4th, 2007, 10:40 pm

Did anyone here watch the new trailer? (It took me a while to get it dowloaded--it's quicktime though.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 5th, 2007, 3:29 pm

I have! It was waaaay better than the teaser, though I'm still skeptical this will be as good as the first two films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 5th, 2007, 4:33 pm

I have the bad impression to always see the same background ( forest, greeny thingy, blue skyish tones...) from film to film. Too classical! And the animation doesn't look amazing compared to the previous one. As for the story, I don't care about Artie, not appealing at all, and the princess girls band is ridiculous. Hope to be surprised anyway.
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 5th, 2007, 5:08 pm

And the animation doesn't look amazing compared to the previous one.
Maybe that's because of all the pretty CG we've seen since the last one came out... :wink: :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 6th, 2007, 1:45 am

I thought the new trailer, was awesome! :D It was so much better than the teaser, its scary!

Now lets hope its has good as 2, my fave! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 6th, 2007, 4:05 am

Meg wrote:
And the animation doesn't look amazing compared to the previous one.
Maybe that's because of all the pretty CG we've seen since the last one came out... :wink: :P
Well, the animation in the Ratatouille and Surf's Up trailers DID impress me so...
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com