DreamWorks' SHREK

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 18th, 2006, 3:04 am

Parts of it are good, some less good. :)

But I still have no doubts that the film will be great. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 18th, 2006, 12:58 pm

BTW, with that lady leaving DW (forgot her name) I just wanted mention that I read in a reputable source that Nina Jacobson (worked with Disney for the last eight years or so) has left Disney and is going back to DreamWorks! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2006, 5:18 pm

If you remember Vi, she didn't "leave" Disney and go back to DWs...she was pushed earlier this year after the ruckus with M Night Sharlatan over Lady In The Water Tank. She's been outta work for these past few months.

She used to work at DWs and they've taken her back. Not like she left Disney FOR DreamWorks. She actually original left DWs to go to Disney's!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

th

Post by ShyViolet » December 18th, 2006, 6:36 pm

She used to work at DWs and they've taken her back. Not like she left Disney FOR DreamWorks. She actually original left DWs to go to Disney's!
Yeah, I actually figured that it might have something to do with the whole MNS mess and that it probably wasn't her choice.

She is supposed to be the one who came up with the original idea for Antz as well. (don't worry, I'm not going to get into THAT territory.) :wink: :roll:

She left DW sometime in the mid-90's right? Wasn't she also at Disney BEFORE the first time she worked at DW? :?
Lady In The Water Tank.
Ha ha! :D The movie actually had some good moments, but the story was almost totally incoherent and for the most part made no sense. A lot of overacting, too.

I read in The Man Who Heard Voices that a lot of the tension started even before The Village came out...tension with Bryce, tension with Disney. He was also mad because he didn't like who they'd cast in Lady, and Bryce didn't really like working with him either.

He seemed to me, from what I read, to have a real problem with paranoia.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 20th, 2006, 7:09 am

Oh Ben I read what you thought of the Shrek trailer: I agree with a lot of your take, it was kind of repetitive of what we've already seen. However I think this is just because the subject of the film is actually quite different from the others and they don't want to throw too much new stuff at viewers who are very used to the regular "Shrek adventures." Just my theory anyway.
and Shrek’s mishaps at being “Royal”,
If you liked those, don't worry, there's a lot of those in the film, at least from what I could tell from the preview. It starts the same with Shrek vs. Donkey stuff, etc...and then goes in this weird, new direction.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 9th, 2007, 4:29 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2007, 4:50 pm

Nah, Simspons will be #1. :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 11th, 2007, 5:46 pm

There's no way that Simpsons will be #1.

It'll be "Shrek". By a landslide.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 11th, 2007, 5:50 pm

There has to be a way, there just has to! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 20th, 2007, 4:31 pm

I think they'll both do well--I really do. :)
If you remember Vi, she didn't "leave" Disney and go back to DWs...she was pushed earlier this year after the ruckus with M Night Sharlatan over Lady In The Water Tank. She's been outta work for these past few months.
Pick up "The Man Who Heard Voices" in your local bookstore to learn more about this! :roll: Ben is right, MNS is, to quote Chris Elliot in Groundhog Day, "out of his gourd"! :P :? :shock: 8)

(I still think he's talented as a director, but his stories are basically weak and built upon a premise, not a theme. He actually dares to say to Disney: "It's not my fault no one liked The Village, it was the audience's fault!")

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 20th, 2007, 5:36 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I think they'll both do well--I really do. :)
Me to! :P

However, I think The Simpsons Movie will do a little better. It has more fans, and its been around for over a decade. That adds up!

But, we'll see. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rio » January 22nd, 2007, 4:56 pm

Well I saw the trailer in theaters and it dissappointed to hugely. I mean I wasn't expecting much but I was definately expecting more from the Shrek people. The trailer gives the movie a bad look to audiences, me at least. I see the quality of the franchise going down but I know people are still going to see it just because they think it's "Shrek" and "Shrek" is always good. I'll probably see it but we'll see what happens. The trailer was nothing theatrical or beautiful like PIXAR trailers tend to be. It seemed more like a white trash-people who make "Happily N'ever After" trailers.

But I think it will beat "The Simpsons"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 22nd, 2007, 5:13 pm

Rio wrote:But I think it will beat "The Simpsons"
We'll see. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 22nd, 2007, 7:55 pm

The trailer was nothing theatrical or beautiful like PIXAR trailers tend to be. It seemed more like a white trash-people who make "Happily N'ever After" trailers.
I don't think the trailer was the greatest, but I wouldn't judge a film's quality from the trailers--they're two different things.

And I don't think all Pixar trailers are theatrical or beautiful. Finding Nemo was a great film but the trailer was dull and repetitive. Ditto Cars. (Both Cars and Incredibles had that traditional Pixar self-congratulatory smugness, which turned me off both times, although I wound up thoroughly enjoying Incredibles.)
I see the quality of the franchise going down but I know people are still going to see it just because they think it's "Shrek" and "Shrek" is always good.
Why do you see the quality of the franchise going down? Don't you know that Shrek 2 was top-grossing animated film of all time, breaking both Finding Nemo and The Lion King?

People don't see it because "it's Shrek." Otherwise everyone would have flocked to Terminator 3 and Matrix: Revolutions (both did well but certainly not great).

People go see Shrek movies because they were very much entertained by Shrek 1 AND Shrek 2, they love the characters, the jokes, and the heart. That's why people go see Shrek.

I don't care for all Pixar films but I still see the appeal of their films, even the ones I don't much care for, and I know that the fact their films have done well consistently proves they are doing something right. It may not be my thing all the time, but I don't doubt their capabilities.

You have every right to feel the way you do about the films, they're not everyone's cup of tea, but saying the franchise is going down after the second film made an absurd amount of money (ditto the DVD) is just, well...inaccurate. You're entitled to feel the way you do, I respect it, but Shrek has MANY fans. When we got a short preview of Shrek 3 at Cornell University, do you know how many people went totally insane with excitement when they found out what it was? You can't just slam a whole group for liking something just because you didn't care for that film.

I'm sorry if this comes off harsh, I don't mean to be offensive here, I just want to point out that liking Shrek has as much validity as liking Nemo or Cars. It's personal taste, that's why there's forums to discuss opinions.
:wink: :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on January 22nd, 2007, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 22nd, 2007, 8:18 pm

Classic Vi. :P

In any case, I actually thought Shrek 2 was much better than the original. Mainly because of the villain, because I never cared for the originals. I really enjoyed her singing at the end, made it very climatic! :)

And I loved Puss in Boots! <3 ;)
Last edited by Daniel on January 22nd, 2007, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.