The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2006, 2:59 pm

Of course, if I didn't have a twelve-foot projection screen and super-dooper surround it might be a different story, but it's simply more fun at home.
Lucky.... :wink: (j/k)

I prefer the theater experience however....there's just something about it. Especially when you go with a lot of people.

(But I also hate it when people talk, babies cry, the chairs are broken and bend all the way back, or the floor is dirty/sticky and the whole place smells like some sort of musty cheese! EWWWWWWW! :evil: )

BTW even though I love it, theater food is sooooo bad for you. I heard eating a large popcorn with butter is like eating five big Macs.... :roll:
Bluth is funny...despite being burned once too often I still go back to the well, and his films somehow all seem better when remembering them.
I've seen An American Tail at least a dozen times (probably more) but that's really the only one. But I still think DB's very gifted and I feel bad when people put him down... :( Also for some weird reason I really like All Dogs Go to Heaven (one straaaaaaaaaange movie) partly for its look, partly for Ann-Marie (gorgeous animation and very good voice acting) and also for that whole gangster movie/New Orleanes feel...with dogs... getting wacked and driving Depression-era cars and shooting lazers, plus heaven, and hell in a dream-sequence.....and a dog rising from the dead with a pocket watch that's keeping him alive...(or something)

Can you imagine if someone pitched this film nowadays? I don't think anyone would take a chance on it... which is kind of a shame really.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2006, 4:17 pm

I was kinda talking about the the mid-80s/early 90s stuff from Bluth.

No question that Banjo, NIMH and Tail were all very good, well thought out and executed movies.

The self-financed Goldcrest days are where he came unstuck. Bluth's good, but seems to need creative "assistance" as he got from a great book source on NIMH, Amblin on Tail and Bill Mechanic/Fox on Anastasia and Titan AE.

The other stuff kind of ran away from him and he couldn't bring it back. Ditto in buisness affairs which meant he had Pebble And The Penguin and Troll In Central Park taken away from him (can you believe Troll was released in Europe with the lamer than lame title Stanley's Magic Garden?)!

And...don't get me wrong - a theatrical experience is great, especially when there's a group or if the people in the theater are into the movie. More often than not, though, they seem to buy their tickets and talk/use their cells all the way through! Anyone other than me annoyed with the tiny lit up screens in the rows ahead of you when you're trying to watch a movie??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 3rd, 2006, 4:30 pm

The other stuff kind of ran away from him and he couldn't bring it back. Ditto in buisness affairs which meant he had Pebble And The Penguin and Troll In Central Park taken away from him (can you believe Troll was released in Europe with the lamer than lame title Stanley's Magic Garden?)!
That's a shame. Plus I heard the reason that some in the animation community don't like him is that supposadly when his Dublin studio closed down (something like that) a lot of people didn't get paid or something.
????????? Not sure.

Also it seems like during the mid/late 80's when Disney hadn't really hit their high yet, there was room for another animation studio, but by 1994, if it wasn't Disney, no one was going to pay for it.....Now there are competitors like DreamWorks and BlueSky but back then? Forget it, look what happened to "Swan Princess". :(

( But then again so few people really know what's Disney and what isn't--I think that makes it easier for competitors when people don't know the difference. Probably when Secret of Nimh and Tail came out, a lot of people were like "Oh, those are Disney movies, right?" A few years ago I had an English professor who thought Tom and Jerry was Disney.)
I was kinda talking about the the mid-80s/early 90s stuff from Bluth.

Not sure what you mean exactly...All Dogs is 1989, so you're saying that that's the start of Bluth's weaker period, right....? Land Before Time I guess is also in that category, although both of those films made pretty decent Box Office. At least compared to Thumbelina anyway....
Anyone other than me annoyed with the tiny lit up screens in the rows ahead of you when you're trying to watch a movie??
Yesssssss...... :x

Sometimes it's kinda funny when people yell things out about the movie though...like when I saw Batman and Robin on its opening night. (the theater was PACKED) At the "dramatic" end when Bruce Wayne /Cloony is pacing the room waiting to see if poor Alfred's going to live, someone said loudly: "Oh, won't this EVER end?????" And EVERYONE laughed. :lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 3rd, 2006, 5:28 pm

My brother and sister made shadow-puppets during the credits of Finding Nemo (which, coincidently, I'm watching as I type). My parents and the one or two other families there thought it was funny...I don't really remember very well, but I'm guessing I didn't, seeing as I didn't join them.
Sometimes it's kinda funny when people yell things out about the movie though...like when I saw Batman and Robin on its opening night. (the theater was PACKED) At the "dramatic" end when Bruce Wayne /Cloony is pacing the room waiting to see if poor Alfred's going to live, someone said loudly: "Oh, won't this EVER end?????" And EVERYONE laughed.
When we went to see 'Fantastic Four', this guy in front of me said, "Elastiboy!" when Reed came on screen. I thought it was funny, but then again, I am a geek.

Man, somebody should make a thread about theater experiences!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2006, 5:35 pm

Best one for me was a screening of Empire Strikes Back.

When Leia kisses Luke to annoy Han, someone, in a "na-na-na-na-na-nah" kinda way, piped up: "We know something you don't know!"

It was hysterical. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 3rd, 2006, 5:49 pm

Ewww. That always freaks me out about Luke and Leia. :shock:

Yeah, when I saw Phantom Menace for the 2nd time (DON'T KNOW WHY)
when poor old Qui-Gon's had it and gasps out to Obi: "Train the boy!" someone yelled out: "Don't do it!"

BTW, have you ever seen strangers cry in a movie theater? I heard lots of people sobbing at the end of Titanic, (I didn't) and a lot of people "coughing" and sniffling at the end of LOTR:Return of the King....
:wink: :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 3rd, 2006, 6:06 pm

I always thought the Luke/Leia angle to the story to be kinda... soap opera-ish... never quit liked that.

I recall the entire audience in tears at the end of Finding Neverland... so sad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 3rd, 2006, 9:47 pm

Independence Day PURCHASED!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Rent and The Producers

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2006, 3:46 pm

O.K....non-animation topic alert.... :wink:

I recently saw these two films and loved them! :) :) Although I do think I might have enjoyed them more if I saw them on the stage, it was still a great experience. Has anyone else seen either film?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » April 21st, 2006, 7:36 pm

Missed the Producers (here in France it as only shown in crappy theatres) but LOVED RENT, seen it twice and imediately bought the soundtrack! I'm a big fan of musicals I must say, on stage or on screens.
For Disney fans, you sure wanna check "The Little Shop of Horrors", it was created by alan Menken and Howard Ashmann before they get caught in Disney's Golden Age, and you can spot LOTS of signs that'd lead to Disney's decade's greatest scenes: Audrey's song remind me a lot of Part of your world, Ronette, Chiffon and Crystal are the ancestors of Hercules' Muses etc...
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2006, 7:40 pm

I loved the music in Rent too, I definetely want to get the soundtrack.

That's so funny how you mentioned Little Shop; just about a year ago we were talking about it on the board. :wink:

I love "Somewhere that's Green." :)

You should see The Producers. That movie's hysterical and the music is awesome. I haven't seen the original film or the show, but I enjoyed it a lot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 21st, 2006, 8:32 pm

I have no interest in Rent, but I want to see the Producers SO. BAD.

I love Mathew Broderick and Nathan Lane.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 21st, 2006, 10:04 pm

I haven't seen either movie yet, but I'd like to see both of them. My sister saw the stage show of Rent and didn't like it that much, but she thought the movie was better, so based on her recommendation I'll see it. I like Nathan Lane in just about anything, so I want to see The Producers just because he's in it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 22nd, 2006, 3:01 am

I loved both! I am a total RENThead and thoroughly enjoyed The Producers as well. I have the RENT movie and soundtrack and am looking to add The Producers to my collection as well. =)
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » April 24th, 2006, 8:22 am

I have seen both and i would have to say Rent was the better of the two. The Producers was pretty good but i think that it had some issues being adapted to the big screen. And when i watched it i kept comparing it to the original film.