Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney's Frozen (formerly Snow Queen) 2013

Post by Ben » July 6th, 2013, 3:57 am

Well, Pixar started the short-form teaser craze, with Monsters Inc, I think, although Blue Sky took it to the level we see today with Scrat.

I don't think Disney could promote a Prince line...they already tried that with Disney Heroes series (remember that?). I fear they could risk diluting the Princess brand by sending mixed messages with that idea, and that's why Marvel and Star Wars have been bought after all. Plus the Princes have next to nothing to do in these movies anyway - not great role models!

And don't forget that Brave was a way for Pixar to reverse the tables and grab a bit of the lucrative Princess line for themselves! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 10th, 2013, 5:14 pm

If you enjoyed the Japanese trailer, but had no idea what they were saying but you are fluent in French, here is the same trailer but for the French audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdv0wt-hTGQ

I'm still annoyed that I went and watched 3 animated films in a space of 5 days and I didn't even get the US teaser. Damn you Disney Australia.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 10th, 2013, 8:45 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 10th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Very cool posters. Very excited to see there is an embargo on talking about Frozen until August. Cannot wait to next month when hopefully an avalanche of images and information comes tumbling down from the Disney mountain.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2013, 8:47 pm

Love the new pics! I really think this will be something special. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 11th, 2013, 10:48 pm

The pictures are fantastic. And I love the unveiling of the new characters and the extra information of the the previously announced characters. It also reveals the overall villain of the film.

Now just to sit back an impatiently wait for the english trailer to arrive with Cloudy 2 and for some hints at the songs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 12th, 2013, 6:34 am

I think we'll be seeing a lot more from Frozen after late July's D23 events... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 12th, 2013, 10:07 am

With regard to the french trailers & posters linked above .. at least they'll get this movie with the fairy tale's original title intact (as with Rapunzel, which is 'name-checked' in both formats). :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 12th, 2013, 11:02 am

Except that, in neither case, are they really getting the fairy tale in question presented. This is clearly only loosely inspired by The Snow Queen--here it seems obvious that the queen is clearly not the villain, as she was in the original story. She's also a teenager, which is a big change in and off itself.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But since the movie's central plot involves a girl trying to get back to her powerful sister who has, well, frozen everything, it seems like an appropriate enough title in this case. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 12th, 2013, 11:40 am

To be fair, many Disney animated features are 'loose' adaptations of their source material -- some much moreso than others. :wink:

I was just making an observation that Disney's french-language marketing department sees fit to retain the more-recognizable original title of the stories on which these films are based; that's all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 12th, 2013, 2:29 pm

That makes for an interesting question: who exactly is in charge of the naming of the films? I'm sure the executives and marketers have a huge say but does the director or writer have a say as the creatives behind the film? And if they do does that stretch to foreign language titles? Or is it all just marketing?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 12th, 2013, 3:26 pm

I have no proof .. but it is my impression that Pixar in general (and John Lasseter in particular) is rather fond of 'thoroughly-generic' movie titles -- and the shorter, the better!

Witness that Monsters University is actually referred to as simply "MU" on its own movie poster ..

Marketeers also love generic, short titles because they're 'easy-to-remember'.

And there's something of a 'track record' from their perspective, unfortunately .. in that the generically-titled Enchanted and Tangled were hits, while The Princess and the Frog (five whole words!!) was a bit of a miss. :roll:

Ultimately, a title is just a title. These movies are 'good' or 'meh' on their own merits.

As to foreign markets .. film titles (and character names) will sometimes deviate from their english-language versions, due to language & cultural differences. I'd just thought it interesting that the reverse seemed to be the case between the U.S. and France, for these films (with the 'traditional' title as the 'deviation').

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 12th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Well, also remember that most of these stories were European - and largely French - to begin with, so in these cases it makes more sense to go with the recognisable title in those territories. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 12th, 2013, 7:51 pm

From what I've learnt about this project I feel Frozen as a title is a better representation of the movie than what Tangled as a title was for that film. But I'm also a person who doesn't care what a movie is called, just as long as it is good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2013, 12:49 pm