WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by gaastra » February 3rd, 2011, 7:31 pm

Tvshowsondvd update on gobots. Tv show only. We won't get the movie.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Challe ... nned/14988

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 27th, 2011, 3:56 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 27th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Ah, yes, Valley of the Dinosaurs--
I remember it premiering on CBS the same day as NBC's other series about canoe-trip folks who'd gotten caught in a disaster and ended up in dinosaur country; whatever happened to that show? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 27th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Nice to see the H-B shows continuing in the Archive program. We've requested each title for review, and I look forward to seeing them--- esp. Dinos.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 8th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Space kiddetts/ young samson artwork

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Young- ... mson/15097

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 8th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Nice! I'm looking forward even more, though, to Valley of the Dinosaurs.

...still confused as to where Herculoids is, however.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 11th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron has been withdrawn from the Warner Archive's available titles. There's no 'official' explanation from WA .. but apparently, the episodes were shortened 'syndicated' versions, which had some sequences cut to reduce their running time.

There is a tidbit of good news at the end of this item, though:
a Facebook post from the Warner Archive Collection, made this past Tuesday .. says that the 1993 animated TBS series 2 Stupid Dogs is planned for an MOD-DVD release "later this year".

"Yeah! Yeah..!! Oh, Yeah!"

Finally .. I can retire my 18-year-old 'taped-off-the-air' VHS tapes! :D

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 12th, 2011, 12:55 pm

I still don't like the DVD-R's... Too many horror stories of these "DVD's-on-Demand" going to rot within a year -- even in good storage conditions!

A more durable recordable format is needed, or at least a limited print run on DVD.

Since most of us own Blu ray players, BD-R could be an option, too, even if the material is not encoded in high definition. BD-R's are supposedly more durable and have built-in scratch resistance, too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 12th, 2011, 4:46 pm

I'd love for such material to go onto Blu-ray, even in SD. You could get a whole cartoon series on one disc. Of course, studios may fear the complaints--- "But, if it's on BD, why isn't it in HD?"

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 12th, 2011, 7:03 pm

There's been plenty of SD material inserted into HD-movie releases as extras.

Take for instance all the Superman:TAS, Batman:TAS, and Justice League:TAS episodes that are bundled with the original DC films. None of that stuff is hi-def. Ditto for most of the extras on the Oz BD release which was essentially an upgrade of the previous DVD releases.

The thing is that most people refuse to educate themselves. They want it all handed to them on a silver platter.

(I still get annoyed by the blank look on people's faces when you try to explain widescreen to them. After 10 minutes, the frickin' idiots still want to buy Full-Screen DVDs!!!! Wonder what they'll say about those dern TV shows that have black on the sides on their hi-defernition TV sets... Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine and a sample of why I DON'T work in retail!!!! I'd want to strangle at least a quarter of the people who'd walk through a store after several months... Easy to be nice in the beginning, hard after so many months of being around too many stupid people. I still grit my teeth occasionally and count to ten when I go into stores and people obviously don't know anything about what they're in the store to buy!!)

Most of what I know about home video and standards I learned from trial-and-error and reading on my own.

Most people are just intellectually lazy! It's the same all over the world... Most of what you need to know you can ask with simple, direct (and polite) questions and do more investigating on your own. We graduate people all the time from schools who don't know the basics of looking things up! Not a North American thing, btw... It's built into humans and a consequence of relying too much on technology and other people to do their home work for them.

The home video companies will never release whole SD TV shows on BD for the same reason as always... The home video companies wouldn't be able to charge for more discs and people would be upset IF they did max out one BD and were still charged for a full TV series! You just can't win with stupid, stingy people.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2011, 7:20 pm

If you remember, one of BD's early selling points was that we'd get entire series and even film franchises on single discs. That was back when they were talking about SD on BDs.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 13th, 2011, 9:28 pm

What studios say and what they actually do are two different things...

They WILL NEVER release most shows on one disc... just isn't happening. = $$$$$$$

Maybe shows that had very abbreviated runs (2-6 episodes) might eventually be released this way but not an entire 26-episode season let alone 13 episodes...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 14th, 2011, 2:29 am

IOW, we ask that the non-Blu-ray population please...PLEASE...get over their obsession with "Wow, so much space!" and stop harping on how "neat" it would be to get "All of Seinfeld on one disk!"
Blu-rays are not only too expensive to master for MOD (for which the point is to get rid of things you normally can't sell by pumping them out cheaply), they're too expensive for studios to waste on anything but the HD goodness they're made for.

Piling an entire Disk 2 of SD bonus features on an HD movie, maybe.
But the whole mess started with a bunch of people who didn't have HDTV's, and wondered what those neato disk-thingys were for...Haven't we matured since then? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 14th, 2011, 9:33 am

It's not just that it would be "cool". It would be a big space saver, which would be plenty reason enough for me. Smaller packaging and fewer discs to press would make economic sense for studios, too. And retailers would enjoy having more shelf space saved.

Blu-ray was never only made for HD movies; it's a storage medium, also used by computer users. Why not dump a bunch of SD content on a BD? Just marketing. What you're saying is exactly what George is talking about--- silly customers who think that Blu-ray can ONLY be for HD movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » March 14th, 2011, 1:54 pm

But there's the psychological/marketing factor of "You CAN....but why WOULD you?"
No, that's not just "HD is neater!" (although it is, once you become a hooked customer, and most "converts" don't go back unless availability of a title dictates otherwise)--It's the market you're aiming for:
If you're selling movies on DVD...it's more likely that the people who don't own Blu players will be the ones interested in buying them. To which one must bring up the basic flaw in the logic of putting them on BD.
"...Well, the technology's becoming common, they'll get players soon enough!" Perhaps they will. And then they'll want their HD.

(Yes, there's space. But IIRC, the "space" was invented so that we could master things that you couldn't put on an SD if you tried.)