Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 19th, 2007, 1:32 am

Lilo's one-disc'er was actually pretty decent; I just hate knowing that something even better is just waiting to be released. As for Cars, I may wait until my BluRay player is purchased (in, like, 2 years) and then get the hi-def version.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 19th, 2007, 2:46 am

RandCanuck wrote:Lilo's one-disc'er was actually pretty decent; I just hate knowing that something even better is just waiting to be released.
That's exactly how I feel about the situation. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2007, 11:56 am

I would possibly look for a two-disc Cars to be announced around the time of its Blu-Ray issue in June.

Other than that, we need to wait and see what the features are for that version. If there's nothing amazingly new, then look for a double dip on DVD and Blu-Ray either for Christmas or sometime next year. If it DOES come stacked with new bonuses (and an "immersive Lasseter commentary" has been talked about) then I'd say we could be stuck with our current DVD.

I know the enticement of better quality and bonus features is what got me going from VHS to LD, and they could be playing the same game here, asking you to go to the better format to get the better goods. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 2nd, 2007, 8:12 pm

From the digital bits,
While we're on the subject of Buena Vista and Blu-ray, I've learned today that the forthcoming release of Cars and the Pirates of the Caribbean films will include so much material that they'll be 2-disc sets (BD50s). Cars is expected to be released in late June. Official details should be announced in the next few weeks.
I wonder what the bonus features will be...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 2nd, 2007, 11:11 pm

Daniel wrote:From the digital bits,
While we're on the subject of Buena Vista and Blu-ray, I've learned today that the forthcoming release of Cars and the Pirates of the Caribbean films will include so much material that they'll be 2-disc sets (BD50s). Cars is expected to be released in late June. Official details should be announced in the next few weeks.
I wonder what the bonus features will be...
I don't think I've mentioned it in the public side of the forum yet, but I jumped onto the Blu-Ray bandwagon two weeks ago! This is great news - hopefully they'll let the film spread out on its own on that first BD50 disc. It will look incredible.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 3rd, 2007, 2:13 am

Even though I'm insanly jealous, I'm happy for you, James! Did you hold off on the regular Cars DVD? If so, way to go on waiting! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 3rd, 2007, 9:15 am

I went HD-DVD, because of the price and the titles already available on that format; but always figured I'd get a BluRay player too, once prices came down. I've held off on getting Cars so far, so now I'll probably wait until I get a BR player, maybe at Christmastime. Same goes for X-Men III and Fantastic Four.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 3rd, 2007, 11:53 pm

Daniel wrote:Even though I'm insanly jealous, I'm happy for you, James! Did you hold off on the regular Cars DVD? If so, way to go on waiting! :)
No i didn't wait. When the Cars DVD came out last year I had no idea I was going to get a BD player this year. Plus my 3 year old boy would've been upset if I hadn't gotten the DVD for him!

There's a potential pitfall for me now that i think about it. I'm going to buy these Blu-Ray titles obviously but the kids won't be able to watch them in their room unless I also buy the DVD. Well, I'll cross that bridge later.

The animation blu-ray discs I have currently are The Wild, Open Season, and Monster House. Chicken Little comes out this month so I'll pick that up soon. I think I'll pass on the Oscar winning (grrrrrr!) Happy Feet, which also comes out this month.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 4th, 2007, 5:00 pm

:)

I would be VERY surprised if Cars - Pixar's first BRD release remember - does not look the very best it can. They'll be out to knock socks off, so you can bet that the first 50gb disc is going to be all-movie (apart from the movie-fringe features such as interactive commentary) and the bonuses will be all on the second (25gb?) disc.

The way it is looking, I may jump into the BRD waters come the end of the year...the format war looks to be going that route and it can only be a matter of time before DreamWorks announce their support and by extension Spielberg will pressure Universal to go that way for his releases and then the rest of Uni's catalogue will follow.

I think WB were very, very foolish to support BRD so quickly. Had they stuck to HD-DVD, consumers would have had a tougher choice there, not knowing that WB plans to make all its HD-DVD titles available on BRD soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2007, 7:32 pm

That very might be true, but who knows. The press release should be coming out soon, so we'll see if you right, Ben! :)

Might as well mention it here, but did guys hear, that Sony is going to be releasing a new cheaper Blue Ray player in the Summer? http://www.playfuls.com/news_06352_Sony ... ion_3.html

Not that much cheaper, but its a start! ;)
James wrote:No i didn't wait. When the Cars DVD came out last year I had no idea I was going to get a BD player this year. Plus my 3 year old boy would've been upset if I hadn't gotten the DVD for him!
Oh, than I take back what I said. ;)
James wrote:There's a potential pitfall for me now that i think about it. I'm going to buy these Blu-Ray titles obviously but the kids won't be able to watch them in their room unless I also buy the DVD. Well, I'll cross that bridge later.
Ouch! You know, I never really thought about that either. That does kind of stink. :(
James wrote:The animation blu-ray discs I have currently are The Wild, Open Season, and Monster House. Chicken Little comes out this month so I'll pick that up soon. I think I'll pass on the Oscar winning (grrrrrr!) Happy Feet, which also comes out this month.
Silly question, seeing as you own it, but do you like Open Season?

Nice collection, Btw! 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 5th, 2007, 3:01 pm

Silly question, seeing as you own it, but do you like Open Season?
http://animated-views.com/2007/open-sea ... l-edition/

:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Um, that doesn't help me, Meg. I wanted James opinion, not Bens (again). ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 5th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Oh, d'oh, I thought you were talking to Ben! Sorry, sorry...:oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2007, 10:09 pm

Simple mistake, Meg! No biggie. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » March 6th, 2007, 1:04 am

[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]