Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Post by Dusterian » January 25th, 2011, 3:51 pm

So, Tangled doesn't get a Best Picture nomination, while Toy Story3 does. I wonder why. What made Beauty and the Beast be the first to get a nomination. Oh, that's right. Because it was the real fairy tale, not like this.

A Modern Twist on the Famous Hair-Raising Fable Rapunzel Unravels This Spring!

From that article posted back, someone wrote this:
Anyway, anyway..I took my 5 year old twins to Tangled today and they were both literally enchanted by it. They forgot all about the treats I brought for them to snack on and I had to (sternly) nudge them to tempt them with a jelly baby. When we left they were full of questions. They knew other versions of the fairytale and told me that this one was 'just a story, not the real Rapunzel', but that they liked it better anyway.
Disney used to make them feel like the real versions of the fairy tales.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 25th, 2011, 4:20 pm

YOU'RE COMPLETELY INSANE AAAAAAH

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 25th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Dust, I'm REALLY not trying to be mean here, but are you ever going to stop complaining about this?

"Toy Story 3" was nominated to throw another bone to Pixar's fans, who endlessly complain about the studio never winning.

Trust me; "Tangled" could've been "a real fairy tale" (which, oh, yeah, it pretty much was) and it still wouldn't have gotten nominated. Honestly, I don't see ANY studio outside of Pixar getting a nomination in that category for the time being.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 25th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Dacey wrote: "Toy Story 3" was nominated to throw another bone to Pixar's fans, who endlessly complain about the studio never winning.
Not to mention being probably the most-beloved film of the year, by critics and audiences.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 25th, 2011, 6:04 pm

If only one other film was submitted for Best Animated Feature then Tangled and most likely Despicable Me would celebrating their 'Thanks for coming but To Story 3 already has this won' nomination.

I'm just happy to see I See The Light nominated and personally for me it should win based upon its competition.

re: Home release. Thrilled to read we are getting the full version of Mother Knows Best and getting to see When Will My Life Begin (Reprise 1). Hopefully they are fully animated. Would be cool if they were just re-inserted into the actual film. Very lucky I have madethe decision to buy all Disney animated films on Blu-Ray even though I don't have a player yet.

While I didn't notice the cutting in Mother Knows Best, I did notice the spot where Reprise 1 was about to take off. Only because I listened to the soundtrack and like to listen to the score in the movie that I realised where it would go as there was a slight jarring to the score in the movie after Gothel waves goodbye to Rapunzel the first time and Rapunzel is looking out the window. I would say most people wouldn't even have had a clue a song was cut from there.
Last edited by Bill1978 on January 25th, 2011, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 25th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Soooo.... Toy Story 3 is a real fairy tale? It must be, because it was nominated for Best Picture. Right? ;)
Last edited by Randall on January 25th, 2011, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 25th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Well Barbie did find her one true love.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 25th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Wait a minute...I didn't even realize...in that short, short list of animated films...Tangled didn't even get nominated for Best Animated Feature?

Wow. That tells ya something.

Toy Story 3 wasn't a fairy tale, but it was what Pixar is known for and best at, and it didn't do a modern twist to anything. But Tangled took a twist on what it traditionally is good at.

I am not trying to push anything over again, I am only bringing this up because of the recent Oscar nominations (or lack thereof) and the fact that children, parents, and Disney itself have acknowledged this wasn't the real fairy tale like Disney used to make. Walt. Rolling. Grave.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » January 25th, 2011, 11:16 pm

I dunno, I've always been under the impression that he was more concerned about making a good film, than telling an "accurate" fairy tale.

Thus I highly doubt the success of Tangled would cause his ashes to scatter in an irregular pattern.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 25th, 2011, 11:21 pm

I still struggle to see where the twist in the fairytale of Rapunzel occurred in Tangled. All they did was take her out of the tower, which as a story device made sense cause let's face it 90mins in a tower would get boring. The whole movie felt like a typical fairytale movie to me. And I think Walt would have been proud of their efforts.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 26th, 2011, 1:14 am

Dusterian wrote:Wait a minute...I didn't even realize...in that short, short list of animated films...Tangled didn't even get nominated for Best Animated Feature?

Wow. That tells ya something.
No, no it doesn't. It wasn't nominated because there weren't enough other animated moves to go into the category. So they went with the obvious oscar baits. Now, I haven't seen the Illusionist, but it looks like the kind of movie they'd nominate for best picture. And then the other two spots are taken up by Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon. TS3 is the obvious winner, whether you agree with it or not, it's either between Tangled or How To Train Your Dragon, and HTTYD is far better.

And no, Walt would NOT be rolling in his grave. He would embrace Tangled completely and I think you're insane for thinking otherwise.

And you should just stop saying it wasn't a real fairy tale, and not like the ones Walt used to make, because it is more of a fairy tale than Disney has ever made in a while. You are just straight up wrong, man.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 26th, 2011, 3:29 pm

I don't understand why they had to limit it to only three movies. Tangled, Despicable Me, Megamind, Legend of the Guardians, they had plenty of films that could have been nominated. Only nominating three doesn't really make sense or show respect or truth for the merit of the films or the awards.

Anyway, every studio can make good films. But Disney was built on doing it their own Disney way, and part of that way was keeping things a little more traditional, a little closer to the original stories and not twisted at all.

Bill, I have explained countless times that they changed the backgrounds of all the main characters. Look up the original tale to see how different it is, from the very beginning of the story.

Macaluso, you know, Walt would probably embrace some of the movie, but definately not the whole thing. The twist, the big changes, the modern, fast humour, the cynicalness (especially in Flynn) and the old guy covering up the happily ever after in the end is a perfect example of what he wouldn't like.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 26th, 2011, 6:07 pm

No, I fully believe Walt would have embraced and LOVED the entire thing.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 26th, 2011, 9:17 pm

The number of nominations depends entirely on how many films are submitted. Not enough were submitted to push the number to five nominations. Dem's da rules.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » January 27th, 2011, 11:52 am

Dusterian wrote:Macaluso, you know, Walt would probably embrace some of the movie, but definately not the whole thing. The twist, the big changes, the modern, fast humour, the cynicalness (especially in Flynn) and the old guy covering up the happily ever after in the end is a perfect example of what he wouldn't like.
Yes... Because you personally knew Walt so well when he was alive, thus you know precisely what he would,or wouldn't like. :roll: