Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 11th, 2011, 2:40 pm

I know this is late but you are right GeorgeC, at least about one thing, we still have Musker and Clements and they did help make a lot of great films for the studio that are classics.

Also I want to specify Walt was about moving forward with technology, but like you said also keeping the art, and he was about keeping old, traditional ways of doing stories. He started with Snow White and many years later he still did Sleeping Beauty and the Sword in the Stone for instance.

Anyway, I was wondering, do you all here think/know if Disney will count the home video sales of Tangled as part of it's success? In other words, whether it makes a lot on home video, or it doesn't, will they care, and will it effect the future of their animation studio (i.e. changing their studio output just because they didn't sell enough Tangled DVD/Blu-rays)?

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Post by Dacey » January 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Um..."Tangled" is a hit, Dust, and has already made money for Disney when foreign box office numbers are taken into play.

And of course Disney would count Blu-Ray/DVD sales towards its success. Studios always look at home sales.

AND people really like "Tangled," and Disney is aware of that. They know that the film has been good for the studio, and since Rapunzel is a Disney princess, she's going to prove to be a very bankable character for them in the future.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 11th, 2011, 11:48 pm

Kick-Ass 2: Balls To The Wall was only greenlit after the original Kick-Ass was such a hit on home video. The film didn't do that great theatrically in the States but was a hit internationally. The surprisingly good US disc sales helped tip the figures over into where it was considered a worldwide hit and a sequel (which will probably easily out gross the first film with the built-in word of mouth audience) worthwhile.

So, yes, studios always take home video sales into account. Which is why we got Fantasia 2000 and Tron: Legacy, to pick but two.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 13th, 2011, 12:35 am

Actually Kick-Ass did pretty good in the States at the box-office ($48 million on a budget of $28 million). Wasn't a runaway hit, sure, but a success nonetheless. I agree that it took them some time to commit to doing a sequel, but I think that's mostly because Vaughn was waiting until Millar had the comic mapped out (which is what they did with the first film as the last issue of the first comic hit stores weeks before the film came out).

But enough about Kick-Ass, this thread is about Tangled. :mrgreen:

Fun little bit I'd like to share.

Prior to the film's release, they did a panel about the film at Comic Con. Afterward, a great many of us literally circled around Glen for quickie sketches. Everyone was asking for Ariel or Beast. I think I was the only one to ask for Rapunzel. He said he couldn't draw her for folks because the film hadn't been released yet, but he did allow himself to "cheat" that bit a little. He simply drew Rapunzel's hair dropping down from the top of the page onto the bottom. And then just for kicks he threw in her feet wiggling at the top of the page.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 13th, 2011, 8:55 am

Dusty's question at the top of this page will also probably go for Tron, too. Since posting, the film has become something of a moderate hit. It's certainly being looked upon by Disney as a success rather than a might have been. While I don't think they're going to greenlight the two back-to-back sequels, I wouldn't be surprised now, by the time the home video sales are taken into account, if at least one sequel happens. They'd probably shave off some budget (then again all the hard work has been done for Legacy) and demand a more wider audience pleaser, but less spent would mean more back in the long run.

But, like Akiyama said...back to Tangled... :)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 15th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Golden Globes is tonight.

Let's see if Tangled wins.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 16th, 2011, 8:55 am

I think Toy Story 3 will easily win best animated feature.

But, I'm curious if Tangled will best song. I think it has the strongest shot both there and at the Oscars.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 18th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Finally saw Tangled last week. And absolutely loved it. Blew me away and for me it felt like a return to the days of Mermaid and Beauty. It has the perfect balance of humour, drama and action. The developing relationship between the 2 leads didn't feel forced. I was impressed with everybody's vocal delivery. Mandy Moore was a standout for me with her vocals. She really made a very good princess.

While the songs aren't the best of Menken's, they were leaps and bounds ahead of the songs from Princess & Frog. I felt Tangled songs propelled the story and shared internal monologues much better than Newman's effort. I was very disappointed when I See The Light didn't win at the Golden Globes.

Speaking of that song, I saw the movie in 3D (not by choice - only session that matched my schedule). Personally the 3D didn't add anything to the movie, except for the lantern scene where I felt like I was surrounded by all the lanterns. The one thing I do like about watcing animation in 3D though (and it sounds silly) but it gives the perceived depth that makes it feel more like a live action movie. Not explaining myself well I know but the 3D gives it the effect of watching this characters moving AROUND stuff rather than just in front or behind a prop.

With some research I discovered it topped the Australian box office in it's first week with AUS$9 million. Placed 2nd this week with AUS$3.5 million, because apparently Australia like Yogi Bear. The drop off may seem steep but we are in our Summer period and have lots and lots of options and it still bit other high profile movies. So it seems this is goingto be a big hit in Australia. I personally am recommending it to everyone. I went with my housemate who was a bit apprehensive in seeing it at the movies but she walked away loving it.

I only hope that the success of Tangled encourages Disney to make more animated musicals.
Last edited by Bill1978 on January 19th, 2011, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 18th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Well I'm glad you liked it. But Bill, I think you meant "While the songs aren't the best of Menken's".

How I feel about Tangled losing the Best Animated Feature Golden Globe is mixed, because I feel it's half very Disney, half very good, half very deserving and half not. I think I wish it won, but it may tell Disney "You haven't been nominated for Best Picture since Beauty and the Beast guys, hint hint." But I wish I See the Light had won Best Song.

As for that article about Tangled being "a modern fairy tale"...well, it doesn't really talk about that. It more talks about the past fairy tales and how they evolved into the way people do them all twisted today. Tangled isn't like a postmodern fairy tale, but it still strays very far. That article just got a lot of things wrong, or at least spun them wrong. It didn't get that Disney's Cinderella is based more on Perrault's version. The author missed that Cinderella going to a ball is still having fun just like Pinocchio going to Pleasure Island, and neither of them get jobs. And the sequels just don't count. And I was a kid when Shrek came out and don't remember it being hailed as anything that big or great.

Well, I just had to say it. Doesn't matter if anyone cares or responds. :)
Last edited by Dusterian on January 18th, 2011, 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 18th, 2011, 9:51 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about Tangled not winning the Golden Globe for Original Song. In fact, I'm kinda glad. That sucker hasn't been very good when it comes to its comparison with the Oscar for the same category the last ten years. In that time, five of the songs that won the Golden Globe for Original Song weren't even nominated for the Oscar. In fact, it was a streak until last year.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 18th, 2011, 10:39 pm

"I See the Light" won't win the Oscar because as much as the Academy likes Alan Menken, they're tired of giving him awards.

And "Toy Story 3" is lock for Best Animated Feature, whether people like it or not.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 19th, 2011, 2:14 am

I'd be happy just for I See The Light to be nominated, just as I will be happy for Tangled to be nominated for Best Animated Feature in a tough year with only 3 spots available. Though after viewing the movie clip of the song that won at the Golden Globes, even though I like the song I'm not overly impressed with the visual representation in the film. It looks just like a film clip, as opposed to I See The Light where the song enchances the visual aspects of the plot. Anyway, I'll wait until the noms are announced before decinding on who should win, cause as Lord said, recent Golden Globes haven't had a good track record in predicting the winner let alone nominees.

I'm currently in the camp that's sick of plaudits being given to Pixar films, so I guess while I wouldn't be upset with Toy Story 3 winning it, I won't be filled with joy if it does. I'll be very blah.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 19th, 2011, 5:36 pm

I guess at least Tangled will have noms for sound, music and song.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 19th, 2011, 6:39 pm

It won't get a nom for Music American Dog. Alan Menken didn't submit it for consideration as it's not eligible due to the score containing portions of music from the songs. When the Academy got rid to the Comedy/Musical score they changed the rules regarding Original Score and any score from a musical is pretty much automatically ruled out these days because apparently people were complaining that it appeared the streak of animated films winning Best Original Score was due more to the songs than the actual score.

I don't think it will get a nom for sound either.

The closest sure thing for Tangled will be Best Original Song, with a strong possibility of a nom in Best Animated Film.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 20th, 2011, 7:47 am

I agree, the movie might get noms for song and Best Animated Film.