Monsters vs. Aliens

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » August 2nd, 2008, 10:07 pm

I agree that it was probably leaked but still I found it extremely funny. I especially like the President’s character (Stephen Colbert).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 2nd, 2008, 10:44 pm

Trailer was a little too hyper for me...And I don't think DW quite has humans down yet.

Hopefully this'll suprise me in the same way Panda did though. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » August 2nd, 2008, 11:20 pm

I actually found the General and the President to look quite good. It’s hard to tell for sure because of the poor quality of the video but that was my first impression. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 2nd, 2008, 11:34 pm

I'm with Meg on the humans, but the alien looked wicked.

Also, on one of the missiles you can see "E.T. Go Home!" Ha. I also liked the woman screaming joke.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » August 3rd, 2008, 5:03 am

I think the trailer was great :P. I loved the "We need....MONSTERS" :P. Looks like a lot of fun :].

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 3rd, 2008, 10:43 am

Just saw the trailer of it on youtube, and enjoyed it a lot. It doesn't seem to be full of pop culture references (the only one close to that was the "because ufos only seem to land in america line which was pretty funny). I like the style of, especially the way the president looks.

also good lord the dude holding the camera couldn't stop messing with it. you heard "click click click click" the entire video

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » August 3rd, 2008, 11:57 am

Daniel wrote:I'm with Meg on the humans, but the alien looked wicked.

Also, on one of the missiles you can see "E.T. Go Home!" Ha. I also liked the woman screaming joke.
I liked the screaming woman joke too. As far as the humans go, you have to admit DW is getting better especially when compared to the humans in "Over the Hedge".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 3rd, 2008, 1:31 pm

Meg wrote:Trailer was a little too hyper for me...And I don't think DW quite has humans down yet.
No they don't. They haven't quite grasped the concept of stylizing the way Pixar has, but I think they are starting to get in the right direction. The giant girl doesn't look anything special, but the president looks really awesome and they need to start going in that direction.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2008, 3:34 pm

I was very surprised that DWA didn't have a Comic-Con presence this year, either pushing the Kung Fu Panda release or DVD, or even Monsters Vs. Aliens, which would be a natural for Con promotion.

This would have been just the place to get fans excited about this particular movie and run the early trailer footage, but ho-hum.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 4th, 2008, 1:36 pm

Looks like the leaked trailer was yanked:
YouTube wrote:This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by a third party.
Hopefully we'll get an official one soon. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 4th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Macaluso wrote:The giant girl doesn't look anything special, but the president looks really awesome and they need to start going in that direction.
Yeah, I think it was her design that I didn't like more than the other characters. The president and the other government agents actually have a really unique look about them that I haven't seen before in CGI, which is a good thing. The girl just look generic though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » August 5th, 2008, 5:06 pm

It seems some of inspiration for the human characters came from Jack Davis from MAD MAGAZINE and EC Comics.

I didn’t know where DW got the character designs before but I see it now. It’s too bad that the Susan Murphy / Ginormica character doesn’t quite look as good.

www.aintitcool.com/node/37799
Last edited by CGIFanatic on August 6th, 2008, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 6th, 2008, 2:22 am

Macaluso wrote:Just saw the trailer of it on youtube, and enjoyed it a lot. It doesn't seem to be full of pop culture references (the only one close to that was the "because ufos only seem to land in america line which was pretty funny). I like the style of, especially the way the president looks.
Like most DW movies, got the impression that all the jokes were in the trailer, and even the trailer jokes were "Hehehhh... :roll: "
(Look, he has to palm-scan for security--And elbow-scan, and butt-scan!)

Another vote for "WAYYY too hyper", but notions of the giant girl resembling Mrs. Incredible will invite a lot of very obvious comparisons, for the usual traditional Jeff K. conspiracy theories.
(As in, "Now that Pixar's tighter about announcing their projects, it takes DW longer to do their versions." :P )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 7th, 2008, 1:42 am

Haven't watched the trailer yet, but they had me at Stephen Colbert, so I'll give this one a look when it comes out.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Doodles™ » August 10th, 2008, 2:00 am

This movie looks so cool. That little cockroach guy reminds me of "The Fly", is that possibly a little homage to classic monster movies?