Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Joe » July 2nd, 2007, 2:00 am

Call me crazy.. but I didn't really like it. It was a fun movie and all.. but there didn't seem to be much character development. But I can't find many other people who agree with me. So I might be crazy :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 2nd, 2007, 2:54 am

Yup, your definitely crazy, Joe! ;)
ShyViolet wrote:Ratatouille has pulled in 47 million in its first three days...
Pretty much what I was expecting. Not great, but decent nonetheless.

Ratatouille is gonna have it tough in the coming weeks, though. Lets see if word of mouth will help!
ShyViolet wrote:Oh, good, I'm glad, Dan. :) :wink:
Yeah, yeah. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 2nd, 2007, 7:07 am

Pretty much what you were expecting? Should have made a guess here then.

I think I said $35m+? Then I upped it to the high fives when I got lambasted for that guess, but I didn't think it would break $50m.

Would be interesting to know what those people <I>thought</I> it was going to make, but nowhere near the $70 that I know some people were talking about/hoping for.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » July 2nd, 2007, 9:11 am

most of the people were talking about 50-60 millions.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 2nd, 2007, 1:44 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2007, 2:13 pm

Call me crazy.. but I didn't really like it. It was a fun movie and all.. but there didn't seem to be much character development. But I can't find many other people who agree with me. So I might be crazy

You're not crazy. I thought it was a great film and all, very well crafted, but nowhere near the "best animated movie of all time." It had some sequences that approached that (particularly the underground escape scene--probably my fave part) but golden-era Walt Disney? As good as Pinnochio? Sorry, I think not. :?

That doesn't mean I didn't like it though--I had a great time. I just wouldn't equate it with Pinnochio, Cinderella, Dumbo or Peter Pan.

My fave scenes--like I said earlier,
the underground escape, all the scenes with Chef Gusteau of Remy's mind, all the scenes with Anton Ego, the scenes with Chef Gusteau as a mascot for different frozen foods. LOVED THAT!! :D
Ratatouille totally deserves Best Animated Feature, not Shrek the Third.

I'm sure Bee Movie will be great, but I've never been a huge Seinfeld fan....so from this vantage point I'd have to say I think Ratatouille will (and should) win.

But that doesn't mean this film is better than all animated films ever made, or that Shrek the Third is completely worthless...because it isn't.

Just my 0.02 :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on July 2nd, 2007, 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 2nd, 2007, 2:36 pm

Ben wrote:Pretty much what you were expecting? Should have made a guess here then.
I did, I said "semi-high" in the BO. Meaning 40-50. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2007, 2:46 pm

Why did they struggle to come up with a good marketing plan?

What the heck is that guy Hill on about today!?

I've seen MUCH, MUCH more advertising - all of it positive - for Ratatouille than I did for Disney's own in-house feature Meet The Robinsons, most of it reaching back two months or more to Robinsons' couple of week, last minute push.

Then he goes on about the international posters? EVERY SINGLE FILM released has different posters for different territories...NOT because the company is really "split" on how to best promote it!

Right, I like Jim Hill sometimes, but some of his stories are very much non-stories....and often completely off base.
Example: Why didn't the Walt Disney Company "release the hounds" on the Palestinian station that ripped off Mickey Mouse?

Was he kidding? Does he really think that Disney is going to go into the public spectacle of suing Islamic Fundamentalists? Like anything would ever actually come of it? Like it wouldn't just be one gigantic mess that wouldn't help anyone? It had NOTHING to do with international piracy run amuck, even piracy in China. Worst. Story. Ever. :roll: :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » July 2nd, 2007, 3:13 pm

Awesome comment from Tech in the last Jim Hill crappy article:
So Walt, What do you think about Ratatouille's number versus Shrek's numbers?

"I am not influenced by the techniques or fashions of any other motion picture company." - Walt Disney

Walt, what do you think about Ratatouille aiming for a more adult audience?

"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney

Many people say that a movie about a Rat cooking is putting people off. What do you think about that Walt?

"All cartoon characters and fables must be exaggeration, caricatures. It is the very nature of fantasy and fable." - Walt Disney

What do you think about the tough competition Ratatouille faces, Mr. Disney?

"I have been up against tough competition all my life. I wouldn't know how to get along without it." - Walt Disney

Many peole say that Ratatouille is a disappointment because it failed to live up to previous opening weekends. How do you feel about Ratatouille's box office?

"You reach a point where you don't work for money." - Walt Disney

So Walt, you're saying you don't want your movies to make money?

"People look at me in many ways. They've said, 'The guy has no regard for money.' That is not true. I have had regard for money. It depends on who's saying that. Some people worship money as something you've got to have piled up in a big pile somewhere. I've only thought about money in one way, and that is to do something with it. I don't think there's a thing I own that I will ever get the benefit of except through doing things with it. I don't even want the dividends from the stock in the studio, because the government's going to take it away. I'd rather have that in (the company) working..." - Walt Disney

8)
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2007, 4:36 pm

I also liked how his typewriter looked like a skull while the floor was shaped like a coffin in his office. Nice touches!
Wow, I didn't even notice that. Good call! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 2nd, 2007, 5:08 pm

ShyViolet wrote:You're not crazy. I thought it was a great film and all, very well crafted, but nowhere near the "best animated movie of all time."
Since you posted this right after the link to my review I want to make clear in case you were quoting me that I didn't say it was the best animated movie of all time. I said it was one of the best animated films of all time. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2007, 5:11 pm

Oh no, I wasn't thinking that James. :) I was just basically compiling everything I'd heard from reviews, etc....I know you didn't mean the the greatest ever. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 2nd, 2007, 5:12 pm

Vi - I spoilered part of one of your last posts. It was minor but some people might not want to know about it. I couldn't find the post you were quoting though to make sure it was hidden there as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2007, 5:15 pm

Yeah...it's OK. :oops: It was from Meg...she hid hers though. :) :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 2nd, 2007, 6:07 pm

Good thing I didn't see that one! :)