When will Richard Williams A Christmas Carol appear on DVD?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

When will Richard Williams A Christmas Carol appear on DVD?

Post by Deco King » April 18th, 2007, 8:36 am

For many years I've looked for this classic version of the Dickens story to appear on DVD - are there any plans for this movie short to appear on DVD?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 18th, 2007, 9:43 am

I remember watching the latter half of it years ago on PBS--and being just stunned by how amazing it was.

I didn't find out it was Richard Williams till WAYYY later....but I always remembered it.

According to Wik this was the first and only work based on ACC to win an Oscar (best Animated Short Subject, 1971). They forgot to mention the nomination that Mickey's Christmas Carol got in 1983! :roll: Also, the some of Academy Members were p****d off that something made technically for television got an Oscar, so after that year the rules were changed so that could never happen. (Guess that's why there's Emmys and Golden Globes now.)

Anyways, unfortunately all I could find was this offer for the VHS tape on
Amazon: :(

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carol-A ... 6305107645
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 18th, 2007, 5:56 pm

ShyViolet wrote:They forgot to mention the nomination that Mickey's Christmas Carol got in 1983! :roll:
The nerve!

That's probably my favorite adaptation of a Christmas Carol ever! (Magoo a close second) Because somehow, it always got to me when I was younger. :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 20th, 2007, 4:47 pm

That's probably my favorite adaptation of a Christmas Carol ever! (Magoo a close second) Because somehow, it always got to me when I was younger. Crying or Very sad
Ditto Dan!

I think I mentioned on another thread a while back how much I loved the Disney version...I think it was also the first ACC I was ever exposed it. I had the flu pretty badly when I saw it (I was eight) with a high fever so it had an even more intense affect on me. :wink:

Still gets to me today!! :)

BTW, I'm sure many know that John Lassetter was among the animators who worked on it, as was Gary Trousdale, Mark Dindal, Ron Clements, Jon Musker, Mark Henn, and of course Andreas Deja. (who specifically worked on Mickey for that short.) It's a virtual "Who's Who"!! :)

I have the Mickey Mouse Treasures Disc with it--here's a page that talks about it. :wink:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/mmlivingcolor2b.html
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2007, 9:22 am

And - hey! - here's another one:

http://animated-views.com/2004/walt-dis ... olume-two/

"Mickey would pop up only sporadically over the next 30 years or so, and then usually only in compilation features, such as Once Upon A Mouse. The most successful of these was Mickey Mouse Disco (1980), sadly not touched on here. Matching scenes from the vast catalog of Disney shorts, contemporary pop music was added to show the Disney gang dancing to the latest musical craze, an idea that later proved very popular on the Disney Channel’s series DTV, when hit songs by mainstream artists were given the same treatment. The film was based on a 1975 record album of the same name, and it was another record that also inspired Mickey’s eventual “comeback” to the silver screen proper.

Mickey’s Christmas Carol, based on the story by Charles Dickens, had already been adapted by the Disney staff for a 1974 album, though this film version differs in several ways. Utilizing Disney’s extraordinarily great cast of characters, Mickey’s Christmas Carol awards them “roles” in the story, largely based on their previously known personas. Thus, we have everyman Mickey as the much put upon Bob Cratchit, Jiminy Cricket as a kindly Ghost Of Christmas Past, Willie The Giant as the lumbering Ghost Of Christmas Present and an appropriate guest star as the dark Ghost Of Christmas Yet To Come. Putting in a naturally comedic appearance is Goofy as Jacob Marley, partner to the central figure of Ebenezer Scrooge, played by, who else, but Scrooge Mc Duck!

The short tries valiantly to regain the style and feel of the classic shorts, and largely succeeds thanks to the carefully observed writing and direction of Burny Mattinson. Though Mickey has the title, it really is Scrooge’s film, and this featurette marked the first time since the 1967 film Scrooge McDuck And Money that Carl Barks’ creation was brought to the screen (though he would go on to feature in the 1987 Sport Goofy featurette SoccerMania, and the popular Duck Tales TV show and feature spin-off). The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Short, the Studio’s first since Winnie The Pooh And Tigger Too in 1974. Apart from being immensely entertaining, its also an interesting film for fans as it marked the first time the older characters were handled by the new generation of Disney animators and a nice touch is that the Mickey “starburst” shot that opened each classic cartoon is resurrected here, but with Mickey in Cratchit’s guise.

Mickey’s Christmas Carol originally played on a double-bill with the 1983 re-issue of Disney’s The Rescuers. When it came time for the 1990 sequel The Rescuers Down Under to make it to theaters, the “tradition” was upheld and a new Mickey featurette, The Prince And The Pauper was featured in the theatrical program. In-between, Mickey had appeared in a small cameo role in Disney’s ode to the golden age of animation, 1988’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Andreas Deja, who had animated Mickey in his scene with Bugs Bunny in that movie, was again brought on board to assist with Mickey’s performance here. After decades of playing supporting roles, Mickey is granted TWO pretty chunky parts to get his teeth into. The story is the Twain classic, retold as in Mickey’s Christmas Carol with the stock company as various characters. Though not as tight as Carol, the film reminds one more of Mickey And The Beanstalk’s approach."

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 21st, 2007, 5:50 pm

Kay.... Thanks for the reviews. I have the Mickey disc as well, and really treasure (no pun intended) it. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » April 21st, 2007, 8:44 pm

There's nothing like my favourite Disney Witch to prove that Disney =
Scary - here she is as Queen Grimhilde and as her nasty crone like self in a You Tube download!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Any news of Richard Williams A Christmas Carol on DVD ?

Post by Deco King » April 28th, 2009, 6:57 am

I wondered if I've missed any announcement regarding a DVD release for Richard Williams famous short film of Charles Dickens' classic short story A Christmas Carol anytime soon?

You can see clips from it on You Tube ( Thank God for You Tube a really great website !! ) , in my opinion it's a marvellous evocation of the classic tale , and quite chilling in the scene with Marley's Ghost!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 28th, 2009, 3:56 pm

"Any news of Richard Williams A Christmas Carol on DVD ?"

Nope, nothing new since the first time you asked, I'm afraid. Real shame, I really like this version too.

However, you can see it in its entirety (for free and legally!) on Google Video. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Merged! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 28th, 2009, 5:51 pm

ShyViolet wrote:According to Wik this was the first and only work based on ACC to win an Oscar (best Animated Short Subject, 1971). They forgot to mention the nomination that Mickey's Christmas Carol got in 1983!
Or that the Albert Finney "Scrooge" had been nominated for four Oscars the year before.
(The loophole being that it didn't win any, although it took a Golden Globe Best Picture).