Ninja Turtles CGI Movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » July 21st, 2006, 4:41 pm

Curse my dialup! *throws something*

For those of you who don't know, I'm a HUGE Ninja Turtles fan, and I've been waiting for this to finally come out. I wasn't too impressed with a lot of the promo images, and neither were a lot of the other fans.

But I was just over a a TMNT forum and everybody is pumped. I'll have to check back here when I actually get to see the thing for my full reaction, but the stills (while not quite up to Pixar/DW's bar) are looking not-so-bad so far.

Simply put, I'm excited. 8)
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 21st, 2006, 6:21 pm

I thought it looked pretty good too. I'm interested to see more. The bit where they open their eyes. That was awesome for me.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » July 22nd, 2006, 3:07 am

Ohhh man.

March cannot come soon enough.

As I expected, it ain't Pixar or DW. But it ain't bad either. THIS is the sort of tone that was part of the pre-80s-toon comic book. This is what the TMNT should always have been. Nice animation (not counting that one odd strike-a-pose-against-the-moon hold), great lighting, and the camera angles kept it interesting. It was choreographed pretty closely with the music, too.

I'm still not 100% in love with the models, but it's better than I feared. Plus... for once they're actually built like teenagers! Freaky green ninja teens, yes... but teenagers. With big feet. :P

As for the story... it's going to focus on the family dynamic, which is my favorite part of the Turtles. And it looks like it's going to be reasonably character-driven. Rumor also has it that it's going to be almost a replacement for the old "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2" movie, taking place after the events of the first (meaning: after the battle with Shredder). Shredder is also rumored to NOT be the main villain (but then again, he wasn't in the comics, either!).

I think I need to go watch that trailer about 20 more times. *beam*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 22nd, 2006, 11:26 am

Man, I just knew you would freak at this. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 7th, 2006, 1:50 pm

As for the story... it's going to focus on the family dynamic, which is my favorite part of the Turtles. And it looks like it's going to be reasonably character-driven
I hope it does. I liked Turtles 1 the best because it had real drama in it and emphasized Raphael's character as being different from the others.

Also, how are we supposed to tell them apart? They don't even have different headbands from what I can see! :roll:

I hope this film does well but I'm not sure....there's something really "1990" about the Ninja Turtles...I think half the audience who goes to see this will be people wanting to relive their childhood. :wink: (Nothing wrong with that, of course. :))

I mean, in these days of many, many cartoons that have Anime characters doing martial arts, five-foot turtles swinging swords isn't going to have the same impact, to say the least.

Anyway, just wondering, does anyone know the name of the rap song on the end credits of Turtles 1? (not the Vanilla Ice one at the end of Ooze.) For some reason, NO ONE seems to remember this but me! :roll:
Who is the artist?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » August 8th, 2006, 12:17 am

That looks great. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm looking forward to all the great films coming up!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » August 8th, 2006, 5:49 am

ShyViolet wrote: I hope it does. I liked Turtles 1 the best because it had real drama in it and emphasized Raphael's character as being different from the others.
Agreed. The second movie is fun, but not nearly as deep - the first movie nailed the family dimension I think is pivotal to TMNT. (even though Leonardo and Donatello's characters were pretty much massacred... Raph's awesomeness saves it, kinda)
ShyViolet wrote:Also, how are we supposed to tell them apart? They don't even have different headbands from what I can see! :roll:
Don't worry; they are different. This trailer has night-muted colors, but it's pretty clear that Leo is wearing blue, if nothing else. A TMNT comic purist would gripe that they are wearing different colors (as they all wore red in the comics), but while I love the grit of the comics, I also love the colored masks they got upon being cartoonified. Saves you from having to figure out who's who based on voice/personality/weapon alone.
ShyViolet wrote:I hope this film does well but I'm not sure....there's something really "1990" about the Ninja Turtles...I think half the audience who goes to see this will be people wanting to relive their childhood. :wink: (Nothing wrong with that, of course. :))

I mean, in these days of many, many cartoons that have Anime characters doing martial arts, five-foot turtles swinging swords isn't going to have the same impact, to say the least.

Anyway, just wondering, does anyone know the name of the rap song on the end credits of Turtles 1? (not the Vanilla Ice one at the end of Ooze.) For some reason, NO ONE seems to remember this but me! :roll:
Who is the artist?
Well... the Turtles have been around since 1984, in cartoons since 1987.... and they're still alive and well. But your point brings up an important thing this movie has to do to be successful: get people to take the Turtles more seriously... and yet not too seriously. They were originally created as a parody, after all - a parody that for some odd reason became wildly popular on its own, first among the teen/young adult comic book crowd, and then animated for kids.

As for the rap song... it's sad that I actually have the soundtrack to this movie! :D The song is called "T-U-R-T-L-E Power" and it's by Partnerz in Kryme. Ah, back when rap was entertaining... :) Only thing that ever irked me about it was its odd decision to name Raphael as the Turtles' leader...

And here's something that's come out for anyone who's interested... an audio interview with the director of TMNT, Kevin Munroe. I haven't had the chance to hear this yet because at nearly 30MB I can't download it at home, but other Turtle fans have expressed excitement that this guy seems to "get it," and that we may be getting the movie TMNT has always deserved. An interesting tidbit: This film was lit as a black-and-white movie before the color was ever added... kind of a film noir style. Now that... could definitely be interesting. :)

Anyways, the link (to the link): http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=4532

I should post some of the character posters that have popped up. They look pretty sweet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 8th, 2006, 8:17 am

I should post some of the character posters that have popped up. They look pretty sweet
Please do! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 8th, 2006, 9:57 pm

They were originally created as a parody, after all - a parody that for some odd reason became wildly popular on its own, first among the teen/young adult comic book crowd, and then animated for kids.

That's right, I keep forgetting that. Somehow I always thought they started out as a cartoon.
As for the rap song... it's sad that I actually have the soundtrack to this movie! The song is called "T-U-R-T-L-E Power" and it's by Partnerz in Kryme. Ah, back when rap was entertaining...

Thanks for that! :D It's cool to know someone else knows about this. I might get the soundtrack too....yeah, rap was very different back then. The song was on the radio a lot and I recorded it on my tape deck. :wink:

Only thing that ever irked me about it was its odd decision to name Raphael as the Turtles' leader...

Yeah, I wondered about that too....maybe 'cause he was a major character in the film. Raph was always my fave. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » August 10th, 2006, 7:20 am

Character posters, then... These are large, but hooray for detail! :P

Leonardo

Raphael

Donatello

Mich(a)elangelo

Now, while I've lost my ability to choose a favorite Turtle... the Raph poster is definitely the coolest. (Daredevil homage?*) Can't wait to see what Splinter looks like - hopefully they'll reveal that soon.

* Which would make sense, because Daredevil is a big part of the original spoof idea?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 10th, 2006, 4:57 pm

I really like those posters.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Taken from comingsoon.net:

ComingSoon.net reports that Warner Bros. Pictures will release writer-director Kevin Munroe's CG animated TMNT a week earlier than was expected. The turtles will now hit theaters on March 23, where it currently faces "Bean II," "Mr. Brooks" and "Pride."

So now it won't be going directly against "Meet the Robinsons", another animated film opening next spring.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2006, 10:23 pm

"Bean II,"
Bean II!! Oh Lord. The first one was just a mishmash of the T.V. series, nothing more. And nowhere near as funny.

If you want to see a REALLY funny Rowan Atkinson film, (BTW he's Zazu! :) )watch "The Tall Guy" with Jeff Goldblum. Atkinson plays a complete k in this film (Goldblum's boss) and he is SO, SO, funny.

:lol:

EDIT: Typo! Should be: "complete jerk" :oops:
Last edited by ShyViolet on September 29th, 2006, 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » September 28th, 2006, 1:36 am

That was pretty much the only thing worrying me about the release - going head-to-head against Meet the Robinsons. And... not only do I not have to worry about that, but I get to see this a whole week sooner. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 28th, 2006, 9:29 am

A "complete k"? I'm not sure I feel that's appropriate language Vi, unless you're meaning a "klutz"??

Johnny English was quite amusing.

And I won't mention the rumors about Garfield 3... :roll: