Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » June 30th, 2006, 4:18 am

fani wrote:Hey Ben, before Brad Bird is in Pixar, isn't it slated to be a 2d feature? Would still be awesome either way, but I like the Incredibles the way it is
I love it as is, but seeing it done in 2D would be sweet, and it wouldn't affect the storyline.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 30th, 2006, 2:50 pm

And, um, how do you know that for sure?
They don't look like Flash to me...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 30th, 2006, 3:24 pm

It's very obviously not flash. You don't think they can do that kind of animation in the 3D programs they use? What is it... Maya or something? South Park is done in an entirely 3D program.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » June 30th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Nah. They wouldn't have used Maya for that...the movie credit sequences I mean. Pixar doesn't even use Maya. They have their own software called Marionette.

There are other programs out there besides Flash and Maya that can produce the kind of animation you see in the credits.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 30th, 2006, 4:16 pm

Pixar doesn't even use Maya. They have their own software called Marionette.

Oh wow I didn't know that.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 30th, 2006, 5:51 pm

I think Dreamworks uses EMO or something.

Hee hee...emo...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » June 30th, 2006, 6:13 pm

PixarVixen wrote:(...)Pixar doesn't even use Maya. They have their own software called Marionette. (...)
~~=oP
Well... AFAIK Maya is quite extensively used in Pixar at least for modeling and some particles simulations. There are also many other 3d packages in use aside or in connection with main pipeline proprietary software like Marionette & RenderMan (for example: background in the scene with Mr Incredibles train-pushing workout was done with use of 3ds max). Marionette is their main soft for animation, but it's still more comfortable to use some of the shelf soft that actual artist used to for faster and easier modeling or other tasks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 9th, 2006, 5:18 am

I found this on Disney's liscensing website.

Just in case some of you where looking for an official synopsis of Ratatouille from Disney rather than and unsourced (although correct) from Jim Hill.
Pixar, the creators of Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Cars, now cook up Ratatouille, a delicious new computer animated-adventure centering on an ambitious French rat named Remy who dreams of becoming a great chef. Because of his passion for cooking, Remy accidentally uproots his family from the French countryside to the sewers of Paris, and finds himself ideally situated beneath a restaurant made famous by his culinary hero, Auguste Gusteau. When Remy helps to create a soup that wins rave reviews from the world's most powerful food critic, he sets into motion a hilarious and exciting rat race that wreaks havoc on the entire city, allowing him to achieve the impossible and pursue his true gift. The screenplay, written by Academy Award®-winning Brad Bird (The Incredibles), is flavored with a colorful cast of characters and exquisite French backdrops making Ratatouille a tantalizing recipe for imaginative fun and unexpected delight.
Source Link
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Wow, Bird is being credited as screenplay writer too?

So, this WAS "his" project originally before Jan sat in th director's chair?

Swings and roundabouts, people! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 9th, 2006, 6:08 pm

I wouldn't say so. Maybe he had to edit a portion of the script and that was the trouble. Now they are just crediting him with it but in the credits we will see Jan and the others who worked on it. Maybe his name just looks good after the incredibles.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 9th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Maybe his name just looks good after the incredibles.
I think you just hit the nail on the head...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » July 9th, 2006, 9:05 pm

Nah - you don't get credited with writing the screenplay unless yuo actually wrote the screenplay. ;)
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 9th, 2006, 9:43 pm

Swings and roundabouts, people! Smile

Yeah, makes you wonder just how smoothly Brad Bird's "adjustment" into Pixar is coming along.

Only speculating.... :wink:

BTW, for some reason every time I read about this film now, and all the stuff about soup and French food I get really, really hungry....what's up with that?? :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » July 9th, 2006, 11:39 pm

I'd say Brad's transition is going about just fine. John Lasseter even said that the energy at Pixar was great after he arrived. I'm sure by now, everyone is accepting of him and his ways.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vekoma » July 12th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Actually, IIRC scenes are build with help of various programs (maya, 3dsmax etc. etc.) then actors are placed in the scene with marionette and are programmed to do the scene, then everything is plugged into renderman who makes the whole scene act and look the way we see it on the screen.
[img]http://members.lycos.nl/vekoma/sig.jpg[/img]