Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » June 18th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Can't wait to hear more on Pete Docter and Andrew Stanton's next projects!!
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 19th, 2006, 9:35 am

Mickey wrote:There's still a rumor that Brad Bird may direct a film based on The Spirit, a 1940's comic.
Yes, I've heard that too. Didn't he want to do it in 2-D though?

Anyway, John Lasseter says that there's a slew of movies Pixar has got lined up, and I'm guessing we should hear about Andrew Stantons new film any time now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2006, 12:58 pm

Yeah, Pixar will not be doing 2D

How come? I thought they "loved" 2d and said it was just as good as CGI.
People keep saying that Pixar would just as easily do a traditionally animated film. Is that really true?

Is it because they think that if they make 2d people will be confused between a "Pixar" film and "Disney" films? Aren't they both the same now? (Or are they? Logically with a merger WDFA animators would come to Emeryville, and vice versa. But that doesn't seem like it's going to be happening.)

It seems like even with the sale to Disney, Pixar still wants to retain its identity. Especially with them keeping their own logo, and name. As well as their own, specific way of making films. Are they afraid that their filmmaking style wouldn't gel with traditional animation?

I can't help wondering what all this is going to mean in the future. :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 23rd, 2006, 1:29 pm

I'm 100% they do like 2-D over there (come on, who in the animation industry doesn't?) but I'm not expecting them to do a traditionally animated film any time soon. I like 2-D films, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and create my own animation studio to make them...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2006, 1:34 pm

But Pixar has the power to do it, (aren't they the most high-powered studio in Hollywood, live-action or animated?) and they must know how much their peers are clamoring for a 2d film. Not to mention ordinary fans like you and me. :wink:

So, really, what's stopping them?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 23rd, 2006, 1:48 pm

They don't have the right tools.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2006, 2:14 pm

I think if they wanted to, they could get them. I don't think it's all that hard. It's not like they don't have the money. They had it before and after the merger. They did 2d for the opening of Monsters Inc, didn't they? They also do animatics and storyboard versions of all their films before the CGI. (Check out the documentaries on any of their films.) And let's not forget the Incredibles "animated show" with Mr. Incredible and Frozone.

If they really wanted to, they could easily do it.

I think the whole question is: Do they want to? As it's been said, the Pixar culture, mission statement and filmmaking style is very specific. Doing a different type of flim, especially a 2d film, would seriously shake things up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 23rd, 2006, 2:18 pm

I, honestly, don't WANT them to. I like them doing 3D, because in my opinion, they do it better than anyone and would like them to continue just focusing on 3D movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 23rd, 2006, 9:44 pm

I, honestly, don't WANT them to. I like them doing 3D, because in my opinion, they do it better than anyone and would like them to continue just focusing on 3D movies.
That's pretty much how how feel.

Honestly though, I really don't care whether or not their movies are CG or 2-D. They're friggin' awesome, and that's what matters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 23rd, 2006, 9:57 pm

The report is that Lasseter first offered director Glen Keane the opportunity to re-tool Rapunzel for production as a traditional hand-drawn feature, if he so desired (pay attention to this unusually supportive and respectful offer of “a choice”), but Keane, who had done so much work in advancing and adapting current CG technology to get the look he wanted for his fractured fairy tale, felt committed to its production in CG. That was fine with Lasseter. Next up was Lasseter’s offer to directing and writing team Ron Clements and John Musker, currently at work penning the screenplay for The Frog Princess. Described as a decidedly “American fairy tale”, the project is currently in the very earliest stages of development, and not yet green-lit for production, per se. Nevertheless, Lasseter was confident enough to have made mention of the project at a division wide meeting held on one of the studio’s sound stages recently, and it is confirmed that the Ron and John project was given the option of being produced in either hand drawn or CG. With a script expected from the Ron and John (and only Ron and John) sometime in the late fall of 2006, and with no artistic staff yet in place for even visual development or storyboarding, its nonetheless official - Musker and Clements have elected to produce their project in the traditional hand-drawn approach, and Lasseter is 100% behind that choice!

The Frog Princess was a good read. They'd better not screw it up...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » June 24th, 2006, 12:31 am

ShyViolet wrote:But Pixar has the power to do it, (aren't they the most high-powered studio in Hollywood, live-action or animated?)
haha - Try the most high powered anything in the US after NASA. =P

On that note though (the Pixar doing 2D note); how would everyone feel about a franchise starting out in 3D and then continuing in 2D? IE, if Pixar was to make all of it's original movies CGI and then do sequels, tv shows, DTVs, etc (yeah it's Pixar so probly just sequels) in 2D.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » June 24th, 2006, 1:27 am

ShyViolet wrote:They did 2d for the opening of Monsters Inc, didn't they?
That looked an awful lot like it was done in Flash, which wouldn't be very costly for Pixar at all. I'm not saying that's what they used, but it's a possibility. Still, I wouldn't use something like Flash to animate anything other than online games and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Heehee.
ShyViolet wrote:And let's not forget the Incredibles "animated show" with Mr. Incredible and Frozone.
Haha. I'm glad you put that in quotes. I'd be concerned if you thought that short was animated. :P ;) Well, I guess it was in it's own way.

Frozone: "I thought you said this thing was animated."
Mr. Incredible: "It IS animated."
Frozone: "When are they gonna start movin'? Ain't nothin' movin' but their lips!"
Mr. Incredible: "It IS an...You can see it's not real, so it's animated...in a sense."

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » June 24th, 2006, 1:38 am

Ooh... not Pixar sequels in 2D. *wince* Mostly because it would be so jarring to see a previously 3D character thrown into a completely 2D world. But if done well...

I wouldn't mind Pixar doing 2D, but perhaps the better way would be to send people (who want to try their hand at/return to 2D) to WDFA and have it done there. Since the two are kinda one entity, maybe Pixar can be the CGI focused studio and WDFA can be the 2D focused studio. *shrug*
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » June 24th, 2006, 10:34 pm

what about the gossip about another "Monster" movie Pete Docter is doing? It can be eiter MInc2 or another movie about monsters from world legends

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 24th, 2006, 10:37 pm

It can be eiter MInc2 or another movie about monsters from world legends
I'm guessing it would be MInc2 - I mean, it would be kind of odd if they did a movie that was about monsters that wasn't related to MInc.