Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » May 24th, 2006, 8:25 am

Meg wrote:I think she meant James Baxter.
Oh, I see. I knew that James Baxter's company was animating Enchanted. I had never heard that Glen had his own company. It sounds like Violet is confused? Or am I?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 24th, 2006, 12:03 pm

I just saw Regis and Kelly and they're going to be at the WP early in the morning on Friday to do their show. They'll be interviewing Owen Wilson.

Brandon and I are now planning on getting there even earlier for a chance to be on TV. ^o^

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 24th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Yeah, my bad. :oops: I made a mistake--you're right Phil, Glen Keane is the director of Rupunzal, a WDFA project. I got a little confused, my apologies. :wink:

Anyway, about Pixar's take on this project...it's really hard to say IMO. It's true that they haven't canned it, but they might if the "satire" or "adult" Shrek-like tone is grafted onto it as previously thought. ("Unbraided", fairy-tale update, like Gnomeo was) Which I guess wouldn't be that big of a tradgedy, excpet for the wasted time and effort for the animators.

We haven't heard anything about what's happening with this project recently OR Pixar's "perspective" on it. Even if it's being made into a closer approximation of the "classic" Disney template, princess and Kingdom and love story and all that, I'm not sure how Pixar or Lassetter would feel about it. Or the songs that I guess are being written for it...Broadway songs, signaling, yes, like in The Little Mermaid, a more "adult" tone which Pixar doesn't seem to really like. So...I don't know.

My intuition (which might very well be wrong) is telling me that if Disney 2d does come back anytime soon as everyone hopes it will, the films will be closer to Lilo and Stich than Beauty and the Beast. Yeah I don't know for sure of course, just my thoughts.

Lassetter is less into scripts and more into visual storytelling. Would that work with a "princess" storyline with self-reflective songs and a somewhat "adult" love story? (and every princess story from Mermaid on has had a somewhat adult tone) Or will a completely different type of Disney fairy tale be born under his tenure? Only time will tell.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 24th, 2006, 9:21 pm

From what I've heard, Rupunzel has been re-working its' story problems so that its not a Shrek-type movie (thank goodness).

I don't mind mature themes in animated movies as long as they're not TOO adult...If I wanted to see that I'd just go see a live-action movie. ;) As long as an animated movie has a good, fun story with nice characters, I'm fine. I don't need dramatic back-stories or whatever.

BTW - even if Disney films do start getting more like Pixar films (which I don't think will happen, Lasseter strikes me as a smart guy and probably knows the difference between a Pixar and Disney flick), they’d probably still be better than Disney's more recent offerings…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 25th, 2006, 4:08 am

I agree, John Lasetter knows the difference between the Disney and Pixar cultures and he's stated that he wants to return Disney to it's roots. Like other Pixar employees, Lasetter owes a huge debt to Disney and has a huge amount of respect for them. I don't see Pixar's films as an act of defiance against the fairytale or musical, they simply have their own unique style and probably didn't want to copy Disney.

Anyway, in regards to Cars, there's some new pics over at IGN.

http://uk.filmforce.ign.com/articles/710/710020p1.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 25th, 2006, 7:45 am

WOOO you're not dead! :D

Yup, those are some pretty sweet images, saw them the other day at Latino review.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 25th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Haha no I'm not dead. You can breathe a sigh of relief.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » May 25th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Here is a link to 5 clips from Cars.

http://movies.aol.com/movie/cars/18763/trailer

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 25th, 2006, 5:13 pm

I so wanna watch them but I'm gonna have to stop myself from seeing any new clips until it's release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 25th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Same here.

Only 16 more days only 16 more days only 16 more days only 16 more days...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 25th, 2006, 5:49 pm

:evil: Are you trying to rub it in?!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 25th, 2006, 6:01 pm

I - oh my gosh, I'm sorry, I forgot you get it later! :oops:

Sorry.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 25th, 2006, 6:03 pm

hehe it's quite alright. The Wild comes out tomorrow so that will quench my Disney thirst for a while.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » May 26th, 2006, 3:25 am

I have The Art of Cars under my bed right now, because I refuse to let myself open it until I see the movie (lest set designs and such give things away). It's so hard to resist... pure torture. But I can handle it. Man, I'm so excited. Can't wait can't wait can't wait..... :D
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 26th, 2006, 4:44 am

Was about to buy the junior novelization yesterday.