Over The Hedge

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 24th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Brandon and I saw OTH this evening. It has become our favorite Dreamworks movie.

RJ was my favorite character. Hammy was great too, and not annoying like I thought he'd be. They were ALL great actually.

The funniest parts were when RJ was going over his map of the backyard and pointing out all the traps and when Hammy was given caffiene.

I'm not going to say it was the best animated film of the year because I have yet to see Cars in 2 days. And later on this year, I'm looking forward to Monster House, Ant Bully, and Open Season.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 25th, 2006, 7:50 am

2 days 'till Cars...lucky lucky lucky, I still have about 15.

I was worried Hammy would be annoying too, but I liked the way they handeled his character.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 25th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Hammy was my favorite character, as I expected. That sequence with him at the end was pure genius.

And, like Meg, I had audience laughter when Hammy said, "I'm not stupid". But by the time he said it again, they were like, "Awwwww!". It was amazing how sorry you felt for the character at that moment.

The Verminator was funny ("It's against the law in all states but Texas"), Hammy was great, William Shatner was entertaining as the possum, Hammy was a riot, the car chase at the end was awesome, and Hammy was hilarious.

I also really liked Tiger. He and Stella were so cute together! :D

Easily the best animated movie of 2006 so far (yes, even better than "Ice Age 2", which is hard for a Scrat-fanatic like me to say outloud).

Did I mention that I liked Hammy? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 25th, 2006, 8:03 pm

I loved tiger and stella :] It was very original and cute :) cant wait to see it again with my family.
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Hammy and the Humans

Post by YCougar » May 26th, 2006, 2:52 am

Loiosh wrote:As for the humans, the design reference for the movie was with the animals being the normal 5-6 foot height. All of the humans were made to be huge giants (as well as the world). This allowed the layout team, lighting and modeling to make the humans look incredibly massive and towering. That is why they look strange to everyone. Dreamworks did this to help the audience sympathize with the animals (which look normal) instead of the humans.
That's an interesting tidbit... cool! But my problem with the humans was not the way they looked, but how they moved. I think it goes with the fast, zippy style DW seems to like. And it worked well with the animals; I just think the people were not quite charicatured enough to allow the same jerky motion (though the Verminator guy looked/moved well). But it was only something I noticed and not enough to ruin the whole film for me. (I'll also note the great texture on the woman's silk PJ's... looked like the real thing! :D)

Yeah... and that "I'm not stupid" line ended up selling Hammy for me. Instead of a crazy, zippy, hyperactive squirrel for comic relief, he ended up being a character with an actual personality and feelings. Which I love. Go Dreamworks!

My sister still needs to see this. I might just have to suck it up and go AGAIN with her. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2006, 2:14 pm

PixarVixen wrote:Brandon and I saw OTH this evening.
I'll bet... ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 26th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Are you two ever apart?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Loiosh » May 26th, 2006, 5:51 pm

The Verminator was funny ("It's against the law in all states but Texas")
Seeing that in Texas got quite a few laughs, especially with the placement of the hand over his heart and his proud smile. I'm still impressed Steve did such a nice job with Hammy's voice. I had no idea it was him.

Though I greatly dislike Bruce Willis as a voice actor he managed to make RJ quite active and charming. My favorite voice takes were his "What?!" "WHY!?!" one and the more emotional sigh just after he takes a look at what he's done with Stella and how happy that has made her. They did a really nice proud smile that dissolves into a sad look (for just a moment).

The jerkiness of DW I dislike passionately. Madagascar was horrible for that. It's funny to listen to the DVD and realize how proud everyone was with the usage of squash and stretch.

I think I'm squash-stretch-anti biased =)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 26th, 2006, 11:03 pm

They're probably proud of it because it's hard to do.

Also, that really wasn't in OTH that much. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Loiosh » May 27th, 2006, 12:36 am

And the moments it was it was done well to emphasize. Hammy leaping from the tree to get cookies, RJ's WHAT?! reaction (that was my favorite), Verne telling RJ off. Lots of nice punctuation.

Also lots of pretty moments. Verne and RJ on the log... I think I feel like seeing the movie again (just got back from X3).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 27th, 2006, 2:43 am

So I saw X3 tonight.

Then my group of friends was like LET'S GO SEE OVER THE HEDGE.

So I saw it a second time :>

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Loiosh » May 27th, 2006, 10:30 am

-laugh-!! That was about what we thought too. =)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 27th, 2006, 11:27 am

How was X3, Mac?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 27th, 2006, 11:32 am

Depends how seriously you critique movies to be honest. You can either enjoy the movie, or pick apart everything that's wrong with it. If you are the latter, you will NOT enjoy it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 27th, 2006, 11:50 am

Hmmm. I'll wait until it comes to the second run theater, then.