Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 23rd, 2005, 1:20 pm

Now that Iger will be CEO, will he host Wonderful World of Disney?

Uhh...I can't really see that. :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 23rd, 2005, 1:30 pm

That's a very good question. I sure wish there was a way that John Lasseter could host it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 23rd, 2005, 1:44 pm

Roy Disney! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 23rd, 2005, 3:16 pm

Depending on who the Chairman/President becomes, it could be him/her.

-Michael
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 23rd, 2005, 5:31 pm

Roy Disney!
Uh....I'll just say I prefer Katzenberg. (smile)

Three words:

ROY...IS....EVIL!!!!

:twisted:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 23rd, 2005, 5:59 pm

At least it's not a CGI-ed Walt hosting the show.

AV Team
AV Team

Another one of Disney's money-makers leaves...

Post by Josh » March 24th, 2005, 2:44 am

It looks like Disney has driven away another top-dog in Hollywood: http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/2005 ... 30500.html . Whether you like Shyamalan or not, you have to admit that even The Village made money for Disney.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 24th, 2005, 10:24 am

I don't know...

I sometimes think we're all guilty of piling on Disney.

Frankly, I think this particular director is overrated and past his heyday. At least that's the sense I get from people who have watched Shyamalan's films.

The people I've talked to or heard from didn't like his last two movies and the general sense is that he needs to abandon his typical shock shtick ending and get a new act. It's gotten really old.

The funny thing is that he tried to play a "Blair Witch" trick on people with that fake "Village" documentary on Sci-Fi Channel but it backfired on him badly. Owing to the fact that there still naive, gullible people who believe that "The Blair Witch Project" is a film of a REAL event, somebody at Sci-Fi or in the entertainment press leaked the fact that this docu-drama was another fake. It sure didn't enhance Shyamalan's reputation or help "The Village" box office in the end. It just made him look like a damn fool who couldn't come up with his own original idea.

The fact that he's leaving Disney problem isn't that shocking. Wasn't he associated with the Weinsteins and the Dimension Films label anyway?

I don't know where people get the idea that everybody has to stay chained to the same company for their entire lives. Very few people in Hollywood stay associated with one company for their entire career. Show business is very nomadic and people jump from company to company and project to project. Stability really isn't the norm for that career track whether you're in a live-action crew to being the highest-paid actor...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 24th, 2005, 12:00 pm

Once again, whether you like Shyamalan or not, he made money for Disney. Had it not been for The Village last year, Disney would not have had a film open at #1 until November.
The fact that he's leaving Disney problem isn't that shocking. Wasn't he associated with the Weinsteins and the Dimension Films label anyway?
No, Touchstone- except for Wide Awake.
I don't know where people get the idea that everybody has to stay chained to the same company for their entire lives. Very few people in Hollywood stay associated with one company for their entire career.
I realize that. However, out of the six films Shyamalan has directed, only one (Praying with Anger) wasn't Disney. Meanwhile, Disney had options to this new film, Lady in the Water, that Shyamalan is working on. However, they decided to let Shyamalan go, due to creative differences.

The Sixth Sense was a massive hit, Unbreakable became a cult classic that could have had at least two good sequels, Signs was huge hit, and The Village was Disney's only $100M+ hit last year, until The Incredibles came out.

In other words, had Disney not had Shyamalan or Pixar last year, it's one and only $100M+ hit would have been National Treasure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 24th, 2005, 3:31 pm

I think the most important line in that story was
"We have a terrific relationship with Night, and although we didn't agree creatively on this particular project, we look forward to working with him in the future," a company rep said.
M. and Disney aren't parting ways, Disney simply doesn't want to do this film. They aren't driving him away at all.

This isn't the end of a studio relationship, this is one film.

On a side note, I think he is getting to predictable. Almost everyone who saw The Village new there was going to be a twist at the end, and most figured it out long before the movie was over.
-Michael

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 24th, 2005, 4:56 pm

To be honest with you, Mike, after I posted my message, I re-read the article, upon which that line stuck out to me also. However, the forum currently does not allow members to delete their messages. Thus, I just left the thread up.

Nonetheless, it still sounds like Shyamalan is quite enjoying his stay at Warner Bros. Looks like, if nothing else, Disney will at least have to compete for Shyamalan from now on.
On a side note, I think he is getting to predictable. Almost everyone who saw The Village new there was going to be a twist at the end, and most figured it out long before the movie was over.
I think that the early review of The Village is what hurt it most. That created negative buzz for the film that lasted up until the film's release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » March 24th, 2005, 6:40 pm

-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 26th, 2005, 7:46 pm

I have to say there is something very "lifeless" about Iger--not that he was always that way, but somehow he's had all the life/energy sucked out of him. When I saw him on Bloomberg TV being interviewed about the succession, he talked in almost a monotone, and his eyes were dead. The way he talked about being head of Walt Disney, you'd never guess it was the Disney studios, but Enron or something. He talked about "creating content" but never was there a feeling of magic. The second article that askmike refers to only bolsters this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 28th, 2005, 3:37 pm

THE IGER SANCTION...

I just hope he runs the company himself, as opposed to being the ghost of a ghost of the old CEO...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 28th, 2005, 6:13 pm

Woo-hoo!!! Strat Planning is gone!!!! :o

Maybe there's hope after all. :wink: