Big Star Voice Actors--pro or con?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » June 5th, 2007, 3:18 pm

true. and considering eddie murphy's wife in shrek, maybe his mushu character would have been a better fit! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 5th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Ben wrote:Mushu...Donkey...Eddie Murphy...same thing...
They are NOT the same thing!

Mushu and Donkey weren't dressed up as 10 different characters that still all sound like same! SHEESH!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2007, 5:27 pm

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 6th, 2007, 2:30 am

Eh, I knew it was just me. :roll: ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 7th, 2007, 12:04 am

Stay AWAY from big names on features!

Goodness' sakes! For every GOOD celebrity voice there is (James Woods? Bueller, Bueller?), there are ten forgettable celebrity voices who are overpriced and just add to the budget!

You could get guys like Maurice LaMarche who can do AT LEAST a dozen different voices and ACT better than most celebrity hacks for a fraction of the price the 20-million-dollar dorks ask for. Heck, most people can only do one voice -- their own!

It's just insane!

I DON'T think a lot of people go to see Shrek to HEAR Eddie Murphy, Mike Meyers, or Cameron Diaz. They're going for the characters (as much as that prospect mystifies me)!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 7th, 2007, 12:15 am

Heck, most people can only do one voice -- their own!

Yup, that's very true. That's the biggest problem I can see with (most) celebrity voice-overs.

When I watched the actors who portray the Simpsons on Inside the Actors Studio, they were all a marvel. Just incredibly talented, gifted people. Just the way they could "switch" from different character to character--creepy!! :shock:

I can't imagine any of the "big names" we know (most of them) coming anywhere close to that kind of ability. :roll:
I DON'T think a lot of people go to see Shrek to HEAR Eddie Murphy, Mike Meyers, or Cameron Diaz. They're going for the characters (as much as that prospect mystifies me)!

I think that's the difference though--Shrek is one of the few times that "big casting" actually worked. Those actors nail their characters, for the most part. Particularly Mike Meyers. I mean, when you hear Shrek, do you ever picture Wayne, Austin Powers or the guy in So I Married An Axe Murderer? (forgot his name :P) Me either!! :)

Sometimes it works....often it doesn't. Robert De Niro and Will Smith--not really. Renee Zelwiger and William Shatner--totally. :)
For the most part, it's not a good idea, but actors do occasionally do a great VO (like James Woods, Thomas Hayden Church, Nick Nolte. Heck, even John Goodman. :wink:)

EDIT: Meyer's character in SIMAAM was named Charlie!! :) :P :wink:

Double EDIT: If he had lived, :cry: I really think Chris Farley would have done a great Shrek too. Heck, I think he would have been a great animation VO, period. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 7th, 2007, 4:12 am

No. No he wouldn't.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » June 7th, 2007, 6:44 am

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 10th, 2007, 1:26 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 10th, 2007, 1:53 pm

You could get guys like Maurice LaMarche who can do AT LEAST a dozen different voices and ACT better than most celebrity hacks for a fraction of the price the 20-million-dollar dorks ask for. Heck, most people can only do one voice -- their own!

So cool--I was just watching my Critic DVD and he was one of the commentators. Apparently he did like 80% of the voices on that show!! :)