General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2007, 7:41 am

Gotta love those muscles!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 23rd, 2007, 4:14 pm

I've been seeing non-stop commercials for this. It looks horrible. The CGI for the humans looks so... plasticy, like GI Joe's or something. :?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 23rd, 2007, 6:58 pm

Up until last week, I had no idea that this movie even existed.

And they're actually releasing it to theaters because....
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 24th, 2007, 9:58 am

The producers are under the illusion that "animation sells", yeah, and that "Passion movie" made a heap of money. So how better than to combine these two thoughts on a big "important" film?

Anyone wanna guess how much moolah this makes? What's the theater count? 830? It's only made half a mil since Oct 19, so I give it half a chance of making $0.7m in its theatrical lifetime.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 25th, 2007, 8:52 am

I'm surprised it's even making that much.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 25th, 2007, 11:29 pm

Ben wrote:The producers are under the illusion that "animation sells", yeah, and that "Passion movie" made a heap of money. So how better than to combine these two thoughts on a big "important" film?

Anyone wanna guess how much moolah this makes? What's the theater count? 830? It's only made half a mil since Oct 19, so I give it half a chance of making $0.7m in its theatrical lifetime.

Life support, gasping!

Quick, get it into ER! Stat, stat!

Ready the defribillators! :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 26th, 2007, 9:55 am

Awwwweee...

Flat line: ______________________________________________________________________

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 26th, 2007, 11:04 am

Speaking of rip-offs,i checked Amazon in UK for images of Bee Movie and you won't believe what i found-
The Little Bee movie.
Gosh,Bee Movie isn't out yet and they allready make a rip-off?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 26th, 2007, 2:36 pm

Awwwweee...

Flat line: ______________________________________________________________________

Smile

At least it's gone to a better place..... :?

(hopefully j/k :twisted: )

:wink:

EDIT: I didn't mean that to have any religious connotation at all, just that it's a badly animated rip-off.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 28th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:you won't believe what i found-The Little Bee movie.
Y'know, a link would've helped! ;)

It looks horrible! The cover art looks ugly and the story sounds ok, I guess. I laughed at the name Beernard, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

2008 Character Design Styles

Post by lovecartoons » November 20th, 2007, 2:26 pm

Well...in another month it will be a new year...

I'm 100% new to the animation business. I recently sold my Internet business of 10 years and now want to start a character franchise. I want to create a whole new world of creatures that I can build through my own promotional efforts. I figure starting with books and short animated clips would be best.

I love old school character design such as Looney Toons and Disney. I think this is called 2D design. It seems like most new characters are now 3D design? I'm working on finding an illustrator but am having second thoughts about what the character should like like. I am partial to 2D characters but it seems everything is going 3D - how do I describe what I want to potential illustrators? Besides 3D what else do you recommend style wise that is popular with the kids of today 4 - 12?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

2D vs 3D Thread Found

Post by lovecartoons » November 20th, 2007, 3:52 pm

http://www.animated-news.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360

Looks like my own question was answered - so I guess the only thing that has happened is 2D is rare now and 3D (CG animation) is in 90% of cartoons now! With CG animation everywhere now I wonder what the cost of 30 minutes of home video animation would cost?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 20th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Hey LC, welcome! I merged your original post in this thread to avoid two conversations covering the same topic.

2D is making a big comeback. It's a myth that CG animation is quicker, easier and cheaper to make than hand drawn "classical" animation, but anything is possible if you outsource or have the inferstructure able to handle such a project.

30 minutes of DTV animation would cost at LEAST upwards of a couple of hundred thousand dollars, if you wanted anything of any broadcast/commercial quality, and that's for starters.

With respect, it really sounds like you're coming to this anew, and you'll need to brush up not just on character design, but a whole lot of filmmaking concepts in general in order to do anything with your characters. Look up "Miracle Mouse" on the web and see the trouble those guys got into for not knowing up front just what the heck they were doing!

Good luck! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

New to business

Post by lovecartoons » November 20th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Woooah! Thanks Ben - that mouse guy seems a bit off his rocker - very interesting reading indeed. I intend to start with a book and a group of characters - then a few short animation clips. I've had this idea for several years...then promote the franchise. Eventually a home video release perhaps.

Good to know approx 200K+ for good quality digital animation for tv - this is not a problem financially but I intend to be very careful with money. I will not just drop 200K - I think it is better to start a business with very little cash and crawl your way up the ladder...I will spend many hours choosing the right illustrators, 2D vs 3D, building my stories, and promoting...rather than building a theme village like the mouse guy :-)

Thanks again for the help - if anyone has advice I would love to hear from you. I'm sure I will be like one of those younger kids who keeps pestering the older kids to play in their baseball game...I will continue to pester all of you industry veterans for advice...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

oil paintings

Post by archi » December 2nd, 2007, 1:29 pm

hello,

My dad says that presenting a photo canvas is a very unique and great gift. so i presented to my Girl Friend but she says not good gift. Really i feel bad. what else can i present her ? plse do help me!!