Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 2:37 pm

The Incredibles will be considered a classic animated film because there is just nothing else like it. Best animated film is always up for debate (though my vote is with BatB), but it has to be considered near the top.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 2:38 pm

They will continue to be called the Pixar studio, and the sign out front of their building in Emeryville will only say "Pixar" with no mention of "Disney" but their movies will be credited now as "Disney Pixar" films. So there is some melding but some separation still remains. That's just a summary.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Christian wrote:Yes, we all know about the overall slide. And now in the Internet age we tend to think it's the only time Disney has had a slide.
No one is arguing that there hasn't been slides before!
What are we disagreeing about? I said they make excellent movies. Are we disagreeing on that?
"the greatest Pixar movie does not hold a candle to the great Disney classics"

We'll agree to disagree, since we won't change each other's minds on that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 2:51 pm

But you just said that BATB may be the best animated film of all time. Maybe the problem is with the "hold a candle" portion of what I said. So maybe Toy Story and Finding Nemo and Incredibles do "hold a candle" to Beauty and the Beast . . . and Bambi . . . and Pinocchio . . . and Lion King . . . and Dumbo . . . and Little Mermaid . . . and Cinderella . . . and Song of the South . . . and Lady and the Tramp . . . and Aladdin . . . and Jungle Book . . . and Fantasia . . . and Snow White . . . and Peter Pan . . . and Sleeping Beauty . . .
No one is arguing that there hasn't been slides before!
The point is that with previous "slides" people couldn't discuss them on the Internet as they occurred. All of the discussion now just makes the problem fester in the eyes of the viewing public and exaggerates the magnitude of the "slide."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 3:12 pm

But with previous slides people couldn't discuss them on the Internet as they occurred. All of the discussion now just makes the problem fester in the eyes of the viewing public and exaggerates the magnitude of the "slide."
I'll buy that.
Christian wrote:But you just said that BATB may be the best animated film of all time. Maybe the problem is with the "hold a candle" portion of what I said. So maybe Toy Story and Finding Nemo and Incredibles do "hold a candle" to Beauty and the Beast . . . and Bambi . . . and Pinocchio . . . and Lion King . . . and Dumbo . . . and Little Mermaid . . . and Cinderella . . . and Lady and the Tramp . . . and Aladdin . . . and Jungle Book . . . and Fantasia . . . and Snow White . . . and Peter Pan . . .
Let me put it this way to end confusion of what I think! I believe every Pixar film released so far is as good as any of Disney's best films of the past 70 years.

If I had to put them in order, yes a Disney film would be at the very top spot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 3:23 pm

They tend to have a very myopic, Generation X-ness to them but most people are blinded to that fact. For purposes of quick and hasty illustration the villains are a juvenile delinquent who might rip your arms off and attach them to another doll, a toy who's afraid he's outmoded (Stinky Pete) but who then meets his just reward by having a demented Generation X offspring paint on him, a girl with braces who might shake the plastic bag you're in, and a social misfit kid who turns bad because his hero rejected him. Being a Generation X-er myself I have a lot of that culture clinging to me but the Pixar people should've made sure things as widespread as their movies didn't have quite so much of that (counter)culture and cynical mindset clinging to their movies. I believe it will start making their films look more dated as time goes on while the great Disney classics remain perennial. A Bug's Life escapes the Generation X mindset to a large degree and Finding Nemo escapes it to a lesser degree.
Last edited by Christian on January 27th, 2006, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 3:29 pm

O_O

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 27th, 2006, 3:35 pm

James wrote:The Incredibles will be considered a classic animated film because there is just nothing else like it.
There are dozens of films just like The Incredibles. Sure, they weren't all animated, but a large portion of them were CG (how many superhero movies in the past 5 years have been made?)
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Forgot to add that I also have the very cool Incredibles Remix EP available only from iTunes and I've posted tons and tons of exclusive content about it here at Animated News.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 3:50 pm

I believe some of you are mistaking "classic" for "not current".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 3:53 pm

askmike1 wrote:
James wrote:The Incredibles will be considered a classic animated film because there is just nothing else like it.
There are dozens of films just like The Incredibles. Sure, they weren't all animated, but a large portion of them were CG (how many superhero movies in the past 5 years have been made?)
If you think The Incredibles was nothing more than a "superhero" movie, then I think you missed the point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » January 27th, 2006, 3:54 pm

askmike1 wrote:
Not exactly - there have been many Super films, but The Incredibles took Super heroes to new levels of both fantasy and reality. The successful Super Hero movies have all been based on pre-established heroes like Spider Man, Batman, X-Men, etc that all got their start with creators who come from the supering genre. When greats of the hero world got together last Spring, there's a reason The Incredibles walked away with the honor of 7th all time greatest Super Heroes (right behind x-men) and Syndrome took home 18th greatest Super Villain of all times and at that point the movie had barely even left theaters. It's expected that a movie created by someone like Brad Bird and the crew at Pixar would be haralded in the world of films and animation but The Incredibles is also becoming an establishment in the world of Super Heroes as well - a "genre" that owes them nothing.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 3:54 pm

I believe some of you are mistaking "classic" for "not current".
Personally, I understand the difference and have actually pointed it out numerous times.
Last edited by Christian on January 27th, 2006, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 3:59 pm

The Incredibles took Super heroes to new levels of both fantasy and reality
Any superhero comic will claim that for itself. The Incredibles is not the first superhero story to show "supers" dealing with real-life, non-superheroic situations, concerns, and relationships. It did pull it off exceptionally well but pulling it off exceptionally well doesn't make it original.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Christian wrote:They tend to have a very myopic, Generation X-ness to them but most people are blinded to that fact...
The classic Disney fairy tales have their own problems as well than people seem to blind to. For purposes of quick and hasty illustration the villains are a woman who wants to be the best looking, a woman who thinks her daughters are better than someone else's, and a woman upset she wasn't invited to a party. As for the heros they all fall in love with a handsome prince. Not much depth, is there?

The point is something can be classic despite any shortcomings.