Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 26th, 2006, 4:38 pm

I'm not sure if this has already been reported or not, but here it goes:

Wow.

My head is still spinning from all of this (only figuratively! :wink: )

From CGCHAR:
Staloren
News

Re: The Latest Disney Rumors
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:06:04 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word has it that John Lasseter will be putting an end to Disney Toon studios. Yes folks, you heard right. No more DTV sequels. John wants to concentrate on new properties and if something really deserves a sequel, it will get the attention of a feature crew. This shouldn’t be all that surprising. However, it has ruffled more than a few feathers in upper management that Lasseter is cutting the throats of this profitable division. Not everyone is praising Pixar over at the mouse. The thought is, if John’s plans do not prove successful in the next few years, there could be quite a backlash from the board and shareholders. Not even mentioning the hundreds of people that will now be jobless between the Circle 7 and Disney Toon cuts.

The current Disney features will be allowed to continue. By current features, I mean Wilbur Robinson and American Dog (Rapunzel is a project in limbo and there isn’t a definite yes or no on it). They will be the last of the movies put in motion by David Stainton. What’s next for WDFA? John has several ideas he has wanted to make animated features out of, but just has not had the resources within Pixar to do all of them. Disney will be ramping up on those projects. All Lasseter, all the time.
It's only been 2 days, but David Stainton is gone, Lassetter is there, TS3 is axed, and DTV's are apparently no more. Whoa...wonder where we'll be in a week? :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 26th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Oh, in a week? Well...2-D will be back, Disney will produce about a dozen hits, and Walt Disney will come back to life.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 26th, 2006, 4:59 pm

no more DTV's

bless this day... bless John Lasseter... bless him

I hope Cinderella 3 goes the way of the dodo. All of them... and lock em in that stupid "Vault Disney" never to be released upon the world ever again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 26th, 2006, 5:01 pm

I don't want them to shut down the studio - they've been getting a lot better! I'd like to see them take a shot at an original movie.But yes, thank goodness, no more DTVs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 26th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Here's one of the most informative articles about the aspects of this deal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060127/med ... N5bmNhdA--
Pixar's "brain trust" of seven directors and creative executives were also listed as company assets, and the agreement requires that a majority of them agree to join the combined company.

Those employees include "Finding Nemo" director Andrew Stanton; "Monsters, Inc." director Pete Docter; "The Incredibles" director Brad Bird; director/writer Bob Peterson; story artist Brenda Chapman; editor Lee Unkrich; and sound designer Gary Rydstrom.

The merger also sets up a "steering committee" whose job is to oversee feature animation at both studios, and to help maintain the Pixar "culture," among other duties.

The committee would consist of Catmull, Lasseter, Jobs, Iger, Walt Disney Studios Chairman Dick Cook, and Disney Chief Financial Officer Tom Staggs, and must meet at Pixar headquarters at least one full day every other month.

The agreement protects Pixar's right to eschew employment contracts, and mandates that the studio continue to be called Pixar.

The branding of films made after the merger is finalized will be changed to "Disney Pixar."

The groundbreaking animation company will, however, stay in Emeryville, California, with a sign at its gate that "shall not be altered" from "Pixar," the agreement said.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 26th, 2006, 7:38 pm

Will they have a new logo, or will they keep the castle/lamp thing?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 26th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Buy a ticket to Cars and find out!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 26th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Probably a new logo IMO. After all, 1995 was when the "3d Disney-castle-Pixar" was brought in as a combination of the two. I bet they'll come up with something new.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 26th, 2006, 7:55 pm

I hope at the very least they change the Castle to the one Disney used in Chicken Little. That one was so much better than the one Pixar made. Also, I hope they change the music in the begining to the traditional Disney intro music.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 26th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Also, I hope they change the music in the begining to the traditional Disney intro music
Yeah, that would be cool. Remember back in the nineties when they had the 2d Castle and old time Disney music, (The image of the castle forming slowly) That was the best. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 26th, 2006, 10:10 pm

As I've said before.

Pixar. Has. Too. Much. Power.

I'm not saying that this merge is bad or anything. I'm just concerned, that's all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 8:12 am

Maybe that's a bad thing, maybe that's a good thing. We don't know yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 12:38 pm

"Pixar. Has. Too. Much. Power."

I, too, hope that Disney movies do not turn into Pixar movies. Pixar makes excellent movies (I even like A Bug's Life) and I expect that they will continue to do so, but even the greatest Pixar movie does not hold a candle to the great Disney classics.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Christian wrote:"Pixar. Has. Too. Much. Power."

I, too, hope that Disney movies do not turn into Pixar movies. Pixar makes excellent movies (I even like A Bug's Life) and I expect that they will continue to do so, but even the greatest Pixar movie does not hold a candle to the great Disney classics.
While I would disagree with the assertion about Pixar's films, the real problem is nothing Disney has done in the past 10 years holds a candle to the great Disney Classics.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 12:58 pm

What assertion about Pixar films? The one where I said "Pixar makes excellent movies (I even like A Bug's Life) and I expect that they will continue to do so."?

We all know about the overall dip in quality since The Lion King but I can't completely slander everything Disney's made since then. IMHO Fantasia 2000 is better than anything Pixar has made. Lilo and Stitch probably is too. And maybe one or two others. And even many of the other ones still have many redeeming qualities. All of the Pixar films are made with very high production values and all invite repeated viewings but none of them have that expansive, heart-warming, fairy tale quality that Disney has done so much better than anyone else. They have had some flops but still have laid so many golden eggs in 70 years that you can forget about the flops and still have a wonderful treasure chest of classic movies.