Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 25th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I don't think we need to worry about "The Wild". It's due in April, so it's a little late to can it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 25th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Oh, O.K. That makes sense. It's only a few months off.

It's been a year since the Toy Story 3 director was selected, so they couldn't have been THAT far into production....

http://cganimation.blogspot.com/2005/03 ... signs.html

Molly the baby would be like ten by now, and Andy would be in college. :roll:

I wonder what all this will mean for "Pixarn't" or Circle 7 Animation.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 25th, 2006, 10:43 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I don't think we need to worry about "The Wild". It's due in April, so it's a little late to can it.
It's not too late to cancel the theatrical release of The Wild. There have been a number of films pulled from schedules in lesser time. After all, it's not like Disney has spent a fortune promoting the film. Maybe now we know one reason why.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 25th, 2006, 10:56 pm

So what will they do with it? I guess it could go DTV or something...

I always thought this was interesting, and cool to look back on.

http://www.pruiksma.com/A%20NOT%20So%20 ... phony.html

My only question to Mr. Pruiksma: Where's Jeffrey Katzenberg in this story?

Which brings to something I've said before, but feel the need to say because of these tumultuous events:

Please, Disney management,

Please

Please

Please

put Jeffrey Katzenberg back in the Disney books and videos.

It's a new day. Why not begin by righting a VERY GREVIOUS wrong?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 25th, 2006, 10:59 pm

ShyViolet wrote:So what will they do with it? I guess it could go DTV or something...
I'm not saying they will pull the theatrical release; I'm just saying they could.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 25th, 2006, 11:18 pm

From MiceAge:

Today, 01:53 AM #95
Fingolfin

Re: Wall Steet Journal report of Disney buying Pixar - 1/19/05 [Discussion]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Iger, Dick Cook, Ed Catmull and John Lasseter addressed the entire staff of WDFA today, and took questions for a good 45 minutes. I can't repeat most of what was said, but to those who worry that Pixar will lose it's independence, I will say that you have *nothing* to worry about. To those who are worried about WDFA being shut down and American Dog/Rapunzel being scrapped, you also have nothing to worry about.

Suffice it to say that all of us at WDFA (well, as close to all as you can get) were very excited about John, Ed and Bob's vision of the future for Disney & Pixar, and we can't wait to see how the changes will affect us.

- Fin

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 25th, 2006, 11:51 pm

They can't make any sequel without somebody complaining about it. I believe they started making "midquels" because they were getting complaints that their sequels were focusing on the offspring of main characters from original movies. So then there reaction is to stick closer to the trunk and make a sequel that's hardly different than its original. Then people complain about that. You could never satisfy everyone's preconceptions.
And while it's helpful for the original team to be involved in a sequel it's also entirely 100% possible that a completely new crew could do justice to an original movie when making a sequel. The fact that failures may have occurred in the past in no way destroys the possibility.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 26th, 2006, 12:03 am

I wouldn't mind seeing about one really good Disney sequel or spinoff a year or every other year. Personally, I think the best CGI film yet is a sequel (Toy Story 2).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 26th, 2006, 2:22 am

Christian wrote:They can't make any sequel without somebody complaining about it. I believe they started making "midquels" because they were getting complaints that their sequels were focusing on the offspring of main characters from original movies.
Yeah, that freaky one they made with Lilo and Stitch's daughter "Stichlo" was really disturbing. Euuuughhhhh!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 26th, 2006, 2:36 am

Icky!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 26th, 2006, 2:47 am

ShyViolet wrote:This is interesting....

I always appreciate Jim's objective viewpoint. :)

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1821

In any case, does this mean that projects like "Rapunzel" are going to be flushed down the toilet now?
Exactly what Jim is asking. They cancled Toy Story 3 so...who knows. :?
Here's my rule of thumb: Whatever Jim Hill is saying, believe the exact opposite.

I was in that meeting today, where John and Ed and Bob Iger and Dick Cook talked to us. I'm not going to say what they said, but I can tell you how we all felt.

A fellow animator said it best after John and Ed's speeches:

This is the best news for the world of animation since Walt's era.

Jim Hill is a fool if he thinks that "Disney paid too much for Pixar."

How much would you pay for a Disney Company that starts to more and more be run like the WALT Disney Company.

That's what this deal means. Iger gets it. Jobs gets it. Lasseter and Catmull get it.

One thing said in the meeting today that I will share. The phrase "Quality is our business plan."

I envy all of us animation fans. Things are about to get really really good. I can't wait.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 26th, 2006, 4:24 am

Jim Hill is a loser.... I bet he's a bitter rejected animator... How often has he been 'right'?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 26th, 2006, 9:12 am

He can't even write correctly. It's like reading something from one of my classmates.

Anyway, if Sully's right and "This is the best news for the world of animation since Walt's era", then I think I'm gonna die. Maybe I wasn't born in the wrong time for animation after all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 26th, 2006, 11:20 am

It's almost too good to be true but it seems like the key players now really do "get it." Could that be possible? But I guess it happened once with Walt so it could certainly happen again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 26th, 2006, 11:36 am

I'm still waiting to wake up...