Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » September 3rd, 2008, 10:16 am

Man I loved DBZ and so did a few of my friends and we are SO seeing this movie despite being fully aware how awful the movie is going to be.

To piggyback this, I wish it was a DBZ movie because this means no vegeta... possibly no piccalo either! PICCALO IS A BADASS OKAY

and yes i realize the hypocrisy in this considering i say i hate anime all the time. i'd still rather watch the worst episode of DBZ than spirited away again.
GeorgeC wrote:I love Akira Torimaya's character designs
Really, all ya need is Chrono Trigger. Everything else is just gravy. Godamn do I love that game.

EDIT: HE'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

GeorgeC

Miyazaki's latest film scheduled for US release in 2009

Post by GeorgeC » September 3rd, 2008, 1:06 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... s-for-2009

Ponyo On the Cliff By the Sea is getting a US release in '09 according to Time magazine.

Probably means another round of arthouse film screenings in dubbed and subbed film prints. followed by a DVD release near the end of the year/early 2010.

This will probably be the first Miyazaki film to get a Blu-Ray release in the States, too. Not sure if any of the Ghibli films have gotten BR releases in Japan yet, but the lack of news on this would seem to indicate "No" for BR Japan, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 3rd, 2008, 1:47 pm

Macaluso wrote:i'd still rather watch the worst episode of DBZ than spirited away again.

Ouch! Ouch! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 3rd, 2008, 4:37 pm

eddievalient wrote:Here's the thing about DBZ: you know how when a cartoon has a show-within-a-show it's always something goofy and off the wall (like The Crimson Chin)? With DBZ it's as if they took one of those shows-within-a-show and made that the show. Does that make any sense
No. :P

But Toriyama did hit something close, the time we got a recap of Hercule/Satan's "win" at the tournament:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 3rd, 2008, 8:40 pm

Whatever happened to "Tales from Earthsea"? Are we ever going to see that one?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 3rd, 2008, 9:30 pm

What I was trying to say was, imagine if they tried to make a full series of "Crimson Chin" or "Sick, Sad World". Think of how silly and over the top it would be and that's DBZ in a nutshell. Like I said, I'm a fan, but there's no getting around the fact that DBZ is a pretty ridiculous show.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 3rd, 2008, 11:14 pm

Tales from Undersea got its US release pushed back by the fact that Sci-Fi did another of its crummy mini-series releases based on the same books series that Tales was adapted from, too.

So, basically it's a release rights' issues between two companies. Disney is respecting Sci-Fi's property rights until enough time has passed by. Then, Tales will get a release.

Tales, btw, was the first film directed by Goro Miyazaki, Hayao Miyazaki's son.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 4th, 2008, 5:43 am

Although the jury's out on how it was received--
According to one report, it beat out "DaVinci Code" for the Japanese equivalent of the Golden Raspberry...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 4th, 2008, 7:19 am

I thought that was The Cat Returns?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 4th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Uh, didn't come out the same year, AFAIK...

GeorgeC

I guess there's no reason for me to watch CN anymore...

Post by GeorgeC » September 12th, 2008, 4:47 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -timeslots

One of the last three shows I looked forward to watching new episodes of has been removed from CN... (I guess I could get the boxset of Shin-Chan.)

The other two shows, Moribito and Code Geass, have been switched to what you can call the "Astro Boy" Zone or "Lupin's Dead Zone." Yep, it's where shows that are still under license go to die very early in the morning. Oh, so many people will be watching these shows at 5 AM in the morning! :roll:

Granted, I'm sure these time switches and removals have to do with ratings but there's sadly very little left on CN that actually makes it worth viewing. Might be time to reprogram the TV set so that CN's channel number no longer comes up.

There's no question big kids and classical animation fans need a channel to switch to. CN has utterly failed to fill a void in this demographic and seems to be less and less about animation let alone quality nowadays. It's pandering more and more to kids that like collecting for its own sake (Pokemon, Yugi-Oh) and mindless action melodrama (insert latest boys' action series from Japan).

Wish I could be positive that the live-action Adult Swim stuff on CN was worth dirt, but what I've seen is so bad and You-Tubish it makes me wonder what the CN execs were thinking...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 12th, 2008, 2:51 pm

If you can get Boomerang, it's very much worth it.

It's basically what Cartoon Network was, 15 years ago: cartoons, 24/7, with no commercial breaks.

Hanna-Barbera cartoons (from the 1960's-90's) are the most-represented, but there are regular blocks of old theatrical M-G-M and Looney Tunes shorts, as well as Pink Panther, Popeye, and even the occasional 'Late Night Black & White'. Newer WB superhero shows such as Justice League and the various Batman animated series also show up, from time-to-time.

The main problem with Boomerang is that most cable providers either don't carry the channel at all -- or, if they do -- it's usually only available as part of a premium 'tier' package, which bundles it among 10-15 other channels at a higher monthly rate. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » September 12th, 2008, 4:15 pm

Over here we don't have Cartoon Network since 2 or 3 years ago,I don't know why,I used to watch it a lot when I was in 6th and 5th grates.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 12th, 2008, 5:22 pm

droosan wrote:The main problem with Boomerang is that most cable providers either don't carry the channel at all -- or, if they do -- it's usually only available as part of a premium 'tier' package, which bundles it among 10-15 other channels at a higher monthly rate. :?

Unfortunately, I'm in the latter group.

I could get it, but my cable bill goes up!

I frankly don't want to be paying more than I do already do even if it's a channel I like. I already feel like I'm paying too much for the basic cable package and high-speed Internet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » September 15th, 2008, 5:09 am

wow, sorry for the really late reply, guys :(. I forgot I made this thread :(.

I want to say that I'm not ungrateful for the time you guys spent to give me all this advice - it was so much more than I had hoped for. Especially you, droosan :p. I mean wow - I can see how much love went into your post. You had italicised and bolded certain words and even went to the trouble of including all those hyperlinks. :[

In the end though, I wrote about Spirited Away. I tried avoiding as mainstream a title as that, but ultimately, my particular question required quite a bit of academic sources, and really - I think that my decision was motivated more by the availability of resources than anything.

I still had fun writing it though (which is more than I can say for most essays I've written in the past couple of years) - the film is, after all, one of my favourite Miyazaki films (if not my favourite).

Thanks again, guys! And I hope that you don't feel that all your help was for nothing. I did read through these posts and took them all into consideration. In any case, you guys have introduced me to flicks I've never heard of, but now intend to watch. :]