Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Require Asian Animated Film advice

Post by GRUNT » August 11th, 2008, 7:43 am

Hey guys :].

I'm doing an essay as part of one of my courses in Asian cinema, and I thought I ought to do it on an animated flick :].

Unfortunately, I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area, and the only ones that come to my head are Akira and anything Miyazaki. Well, that, Paprika, and Steamboy, off the top of my head :P.

There was also Origin: Spirits of the Past, but I thought that was horrendous. D:

So yeah - do any of you lads (or laddettes? o_0) have any Asian animated films to recommend me that aren't the ones I mentioned above (including all Miyazaki films)? Remember - it doesn't have to be Japanese. Theirs just tends to be the most popular :]. That said, I'd like something relatively mainstream since the guy marking my essay would need to have seen the movie. Thanks! :]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 11th, 2008, 8:21 am

How about "Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis"? That one is a fantastic scifi story (one of the best I've ever seen in fact) and it's just mainstream enough to qualify.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2008, 8:41 am

If you're looking for the mainstream, then the likes of Akira, Paprika and Steamboy are about as good as you'll get without going for Miyazaki.

Eddie's choice of Metropolis also fits the bill, as well as maybe Ghost In The Machine, but it feels like you want to get away from the sci-fi stuff?

If so, there's Grave Of The Fireflies or Tokyo Godfathers, both of which were fairly widely seen for these kinds of releases.

There are also several Studio Ghibli films that Miyazaki did not direct, but I'm having difficulty trying to guess what you're actually looking for.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » August 11th, 2008, 9:16 am

First off, thanks for the advice guys! :]
Ben wrote:
There are also several Studio Ghibli films that Miyazaki did not direct, but I'm having difficulty trying to guess what you're actually looking for.
Hmmm, I'm also trying to look outside Studio Ghibli, but I'll take a look at what they've done that wasn't directed by Miyazaki :]. Tragically, the only ones I've seen are Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Howl's Moving Castle.

I'll look into Grave of the Fireflies. I don't know it, but I know OF it, so that might be a good sign :P. And I think my university library actually has a copy :].

I saw Metropolis a long time ago. Back then, I was too young to really appreciate animation, much less the story :P. I'll look into that one, too.

I don't suppose you guys know any non-Japanese Asian animated flicks that are worth checking out?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 11th, 2008, 10:02 am

Some anime titles I'd recommend:

Wings of Honneamise (aka Royal Space Force)
On a basic level, this is The Right Stuff set on another planet; the story of a post-industrial society's first steps into space. Only, on this world, man has been trying -- and failing -- to get into space for several decades, so the astronaut program is considered something of a 'joke'; an organization fit only for pilots who 'wash-out' of the military air force. The story follows Shiro, a disillusioned prospective-pilot-turned-astronaut who happens to be in the right place at the right time, as the space program finally begins to find momentum in the face of (what else?) an inter-continental Cold War! During his journey from nondescript 'slacker' to national hero, Shiro meets Riquinni, a religious girl who awakens in him not just affection .. but a genuine interest in philosophy, as it relates to the historical achievement of a manned space flight.

More amazing than the story itself is the lush alien world of Honneamise; although the characters are human, they are not earthlings .. and this is emphasized by the fact that every detail of the film is designed from an alternate -- yet seemingly just as functional -- approach. Everything from architecture and vehicles to clothing and utensils are recognizable .. yet different.

This was the first film from Studio Gainax, which would go on to produce the hit anime titles Aim for the Top! Gunbuster, Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and FLCL (aka Fooly Cooly/Furi Kuri) -- none of which were theatrical films (although Nadia and Evangelion did have theatrically-released 'final chapters'), so I didn't include them in this list. However, they are all well-worth seeking out and taking the time to watch!

Venus Wars
In the year 2003, an icy comet collided with the planet Venus (remember that? :wink: ), effectively terraforming it and making it possible for mankind to establish colonies there. By the year 2089, Venus is a bustling frontier-style planet with two major nations whose differences bring them to war. Earth reporter Susan Sommers meets a group of motocross racers during the initial conflict -- who themselves become ensnared in the rebellion when its new weapon (basically a motorcycle-tank) is unveiled.

Although not quite as 'deep' philosophically as Wings of Honneamise, this anti-war(!) film still packs a few emotional punches .. and is pretty intricately-detailed in its own scenery and mech designs.

This film was written & directed by anime/manga 'wunderkind' Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, who was also the director of the Dirty Pair and Crusher Joe (which is also an excellent anime film; it's basically the animated adventures of Han Solo!) ..

Catnapped! (aka Catland Banipal Witt)
Just your average story of a boy and girl who are taken to a magical land populated by cats, in order to recover his dog from an evil wizardess whose mere touch can turn any living thing into a balloon! The dog becomes a giant rampaging monster in Catland, and the boy and girl become cats .. but if they can't get their dog and return to their world within three days, they'll become monsters, too!

This highly-imaginative and fun-to-watch movie bears a strong resemblance to the lighthearted Toei animated features of the 1960's (despite being made in the mid-1990's). The director, Takahashi Nakamura, was one of the animation directors on Akira .. and he has also directed another feature titled A Tree of Palme (a 're-imagining' of Pinocchio), which is likewise an excellent & imaginative anime film.

There are several other titles I could recommend; but those have been mentioned while I was typing all this :o .. so, I'll stop with these three.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 11th, 2008, 2:48 pm

Japanese animated films are rarely that good.

There's such inconsistency in the animated theatrical output of Japan it makes the American animated cinema look like genius! The screenwriting for American animation appears to be a lot higher standard than its Japanese counterpart even if the subject range in the US is a lot narrower.

Seriously, anime ranges from sentimental tearjerkers like Grave of the Fireflies to consistent if not-groundbreaking films by Hayao Miyazaki to truly uninspired videogame to film adaptations (Street Fighter, any SNK Neo Geo fighter anime adaptation) to really bad, ponderously scripted films by Oshii Mamoru (Jin Roh, the Ghost in the Shell movies, etc.). Other than the immense range in subject, it's the same with all media -- you love it or hate it. Since the Japanese produce a lot more animation in a year than anyone else, the amount of junk produced will be higher than the US but percentage-wise it probably isn't any worse. It just seems like the theatrical films, by and large, aren't really that great.

There are defenders for all of these films, but the only ones that I've found that consistently worth seeing are the Studio Ghibli output (mainly the Miyazaki films) and the films of Satoshi Kon (Japan's closest analogue to Hitchcock).

Feature films suffer from having such a short time to develop characters -- if they're brand new characters that haven't appeared anywhere else -- and that's generally where Japanese animated TV series are much better.

It almost goes without saying most theatrical adaptations look better than their TV counterparts (Escaflowne the Movie, Macross: Do You Remember Love, etc.) due to higher budgets and better artists, but something of the soul of most stories is lost in those 2-hour adaptations. I've only found one movie that's actually better than the original OVA/TV series it was adapted from and that was the Macross Plus movie.

(Macross Plus was ironically first proposed as a movie first but the writer/creator was forced by the backers to cut it into 4 OVAs. After the OVAs were finished and were a certified, the creator was allowed to go back and re-edit the OVAs into a feature film with new animation bridging sequences. The movie actually does make more sense than the OVAs and generally clears up any misunderstanding the OVAs tend to leave behind.)

Basically, I'd say look at anything Droosan mentioned plus Macross Plus, the Miyazaki films, Grave of the Fireflies (I dare you NOT to cry during this film!), and the Satoshi Kon films (Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika).

Metropolis is a beautiful-looking film that only bears a passing resemblance to the Fritz Lang classic but has definite pacing and story problems.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2008, 3:16 pm

Looks like droo and George just wrote Grunt's paper for him! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 11th, 2008, 11:28 pm

That's why I'd stopped .. I was like, "Hey, I'm not the one writing an essay, here!" :lol:

Though, when I was in a film studies class in college (20 years ago :oops: ), I wrote a 79-page essay on the film career of Charlie Chaplin. For three months, I watched every Chaplin movie and read every Chaplin book I could get hold of .. and I kindled my interest in silent movies that continues to this day. :)

I was watching a lot of anime at that time, too .. but if I'd attempted to write a paper on it, my professor would've just looked at me funny. :shock:

GeorgeC

I hate to do this to Dragon Ball fans, BUT...

Post by GeorgeC » September 3rd, 2008, 1:00 am

...It's the LAW OF THE WEST!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ots-posted

Link from here to a Spanish website that features pics of the live-action actors as your favorite Saiyan and Namekian.

You may want to wash your eyes out with hydrochloric acid after looking at this.

You've been warned!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 3rd, 2008, 1:27 am

Even though I know it's likely to be a train wreck of a movie, I still want to see it for James Marsters. Any chance to see him chew the scenery is bound to be at least a little bit of fun.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: I hate to do this to Dragon Ball fans, BUT...

Post by EricJ » September 3rd, 2008, 2:08 am

GeorgeC wrote:...It's the LAW OF THE WEST!
(Y'know, uh...he raises cattle.) :)
GeorgeC wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ots-posted

Link from here to a Spanish website that features pics of the live-action actors as your favorite Saiyan and Namekian.
You've been warned!
FWIW, the Spanish websites seem to be the only places actually getting most of the genuine scoops (what with it filming in Mexico, and all)--
It's already been reported we'd get the trailer with next fall's "Max Payne", so doesn't seem to be much reason to dispute this.

And didn't look too bad, except for Bulma's Angelina Jolie pose...
If you find yourself going on a jihad just because "Piccolo isn't green!", you may have to ask yourself some questions about the concessions to be made for story adaptation...What were you expecting, yellow spandex?
(Still, it's nice revenge against all those green-tinted "Smallville with antennae" Photoshop fakies we got on the fan websites for an entire year--As the website comments, he's got that Nosferatu thing going.)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 3rd, 2008, 3:42 am

Ya know, Eric, I could really care less about this film.

That's the whole point of my post. (Don't take me wrong -- I'm being sarcastic but not at you or anyone in particular.)

OPINIONS TO FOLLOW, THESE ARE NOT FACTS.... Calm down, you otaku out there!

I'm NOT that big of a DB, DBZ, or whatever fighting anime fan. DB/DBZ is a vastly overrated show with horribly overdrawn plots and melodrama. It's also one of the cheapest made shows, too. It just shows with all the stills and camera move/pans being done all the time. There are multiple episodes of that show that are literally just two guys standing around bragging about they going to kick each other's butts! The comics these shows are based on are superior but still not so good that I'm going to go out and buy the whole set of them. I love Akira Torimaya's character designs, though, and knew it was going to be impossible to translate them into live-action without it looking goofy or yet again seeing "some guy" adapting them to fit into reality.

That's my whole beef with most superhero and animated series live-action adaptations. Kind of defeats the whole purpose if you have to change just about everything and throw out the designs.

Of course, part of it's also ego on the part of the filmmakers. They want to put their stamp on things. These live-action films unfortunately have the tendency to overshadow the original source material (the comics) to the point that some dork twenty years from now will go back to the live-action film and use THAT as the source for his film instead of actually reading the original comics!

Hate to say it, but most people in Hollywood have NEVER read the original comics, and even the guys who SAY they're comic books fans are basically passing bologna on to fans. I'm under no delusion that The Spirit film Frank Miller made is going to be anything like the Will Eisner comics. If anything, the trailers show that he threw out the whole feel of the Eisner character and "Sin City-ized" the whole darn thing. I already know most Eisner and Spirit fans are going to hate that film. As for the rest of the public, the film looks so goofy that nobody's going to take it seriously. I seriously expect it to die a quick death.

I've seen this happen multiple times more with Blade drawing inspiration from the Spider-Man animated series episodes featuring the character and Superman Returns being a by-the-numbers partial remake and sequel to Superman I and II. Nothing new there, but again drawing inspiration from films and TV shows that diverge wildly from the original material in many cases.

I've skipped most of the live-action superhero films the past few years and have sworn off seeing another live-action Batman in theaters. I've just been disappointed too many times. I just recently saw FF1 for the first time on FX and while it's NOT a complete trainwreck of a movie it's still a thoroughly mediocre and forgettable motion picture.

It's bad enough that these films don't treat the source material with more respect and actually embellish it -- we also have the added chestnut that most of these films are thoroughly mediocre with very few redeeming qualities. Even Raise the Titanic and Flash Gordon at least had good music!

P.S. -- Batman's really only been done justice in animation... Aside from comics, of course. The first two Burton films -- he executive-produced the Schumacher movies -- had decent music, too, that influenced the animated series' music, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am

I enjoy the very first story 'arc' of Dragon Ball (pre-Z), which was essentially a spoof of the chinese 'Monkey King' legends.

Once the focus of the series shifted away from that, and became "FIGHT of the WEEK" .. I lost interest pretty quickly.

-------------

As it happens, this also summarizes my opinion of the Ranma ½ TV series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 3rd, 2008, 4:34 am

My interest extends pretty much into:
A) it'd been one of the Fanboy-Fakie legends for literally the last seven years--with more urban-legend longevity than the Evangelion Movie--and I want to see it buried and finished off, with nice, normal mediocrity to kill the jokes and brush the last dust off the hands,

And, if we can squeeze it into the bargain,
B) like Transformers could get the GI Joe Movie out of fifteen years of development heck, hopefully demonstrate that a feature version of an anime series isn't such a scary thing after all (and this even before the Speed Racer mess), and we could get, say, the Star Blazers movie out of limbo.

Is it a good movie?--I realistically don't presume to hope.
I've got less hopes for B), but I'll take mediocre-but-straightforward Smallville-envy over desperate attempts at "camp" or "tongue-in-cheek" any day, and see any stumble as just one more step to stand.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 3rd, 2008, 8:43 am

Here's the thing about DBZ: you know how when a cartoon has a show-within-a-show it's always something goofy and off the wall (like The Crimson Chin)? With DBZ it's as if they took one of those shows-within-a-show and made that the show. Does that make any sense? That idea occured to me while I was watching one of the movies (the one with Broly, I think) and it's the best explanation I can think of. If you can dig that, then you can enjoy the series. If you can't then you won't. Either way, it ran way longer than Toriyama ever intended. Every time he tried to end it, his editors talked him into an extention until it became the behemoth we know today. Personally, I enjoy it a lot and if the movie is at least as entertaining as this bit, I'll be satisfied: